Ho Do I Spray and Weather Wheel Wells

G'day again,

This time I have a question about doing wheel wells. I am doing a Me 262 at the moment and the forward wheel well is quite deep and narrow. Can anyone give me a quick guide as how to prepare, paint, and weather wheel wells (on any aircraft) to give them that dirty look. This has always been my nemesis in model making,

Ta

G'day again,

This time I have a question about doing wheel wells. I am doing a Me 262 at the moment and the forward wheel well is quite deep and narrow. Can anyone give me a quick guide as how to prepare, paint, and weather wheel wells (on any aircraft) to give them that dirty look. This has always been my nemesis in model making,

Ta

There are lots of ways to tackle this however, when possible and thats usually always, I prefer to paint and weather the wheel wells before assembling the aircraft.

I believe the schematic on most kits call for gloss black on the rim and flat/tire black for the rubber portion. What usually seems to work best and be fairly agreed upon as Larry pointed out is to do this painting prior to assembly onto the struts. Some use CMK Stardust for a light weathering on the tread portion while others use a drybrush technique. This is my preferred choice, drybrushing according to the region in which the aircraft was stationed, i.e., light tans/brown tones for the desert region, darker browns and such for European bases to represent muddy or dirt airstrips. I believe too that I read a piece by Floyd Werner here whereas he mentioned using a bit of yellow to accentuate coloring and the results were quite striking. In any event, no matter what you decide upon to use, i.e., washes, drybrushing, etc., as long as you're comfortable with it and it works is really all that matters.

Best regards,

Greg

I don't know which kit you're building, but the following should work with almost any kit (this also applies to cockpits):

1) Pre-shade the crevices with black

2) Paint your base color, i.e., RLM02 (preferably acrylic, lacquer or enamel sealed with clear acrylic or lacquer

3) Apply a wash of a "grimy" color, such as Raw Umber or brownish-gray

4) Dry brush the high spots with an enamel that is a few shades lighter than your base color

5) Seal everything with your choice of clear flat