I have decided to change the markings on the two Bf109s I have entered. I found out that I already had one Bf109E assembled and partly painted in the colours I initially entered in the GB, so I have chosen two RLM79/RLM78 coloured aircraft instead.

Here are two pictures showing both my progress and my primary references.

First up is S9-DR from ZG1. This one flew as a fighter-bomber (JaBo) and had a replacement wing in the European colours of RLM02/71/65. Since I only have decals for some of the markings I will probably paint the codes and the fuselage insignias.

img_0286_600.jpg

The second one will be white 10 from JG27. This one is a bit unusual in that it has a low demarcation line between the RLM78 and RLM79 as well as RLM80 mottles.

img_0290_600.jpg

As you can see the second model is a bit behind the first one. I won't start painting before both is ready though. :thumbsup:

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my progress. Despite being distracted by a Tamiya Mossie one of the Bf109s have now been pre-shaded. The other one will be ready for pre-shading soon.

It turns out I had used E-1s/E-3s for these builds so I only had the wrong kind of canopies. Due the changes Hasegawa have made to their molds I could not just swap the clear parts with my other Bf109Es. I ended up using the canopy from one of my Galland E-4s.

Pictures will follow when I start painting the Emils for real.

Regards,

Time for another small update.

S9-DR has been pre-shaded, and I have painted the starboard wing in RLM02/71/65. I have also painted the tail band, lower wing tips and the area behind the fuselage crosses white. The fuselage crosses have been masked and sprayed with black, which again has been masked off.

These two in-progress pictures show the model before I masked off the black of the fuselage crosses:

img_0441_800.jpg

img_0442_800.jpg

White 10 has been lightly sprayed with leftovers of paint from S9-DR. It will soon be ready for real pre-shading and a coat of paint.

That's it for now.

Regards,

These two builds are really moving forward. :D

Since last update I have sprayed the areas behind the white parts of the codes (D and 10 respectively) with flat followed by gloss white. My lovely wife then created masks for me from scans of the colour profiles and Hasegawa decals. These were printed on ordinary paper labels (as seen in the pictures), cut to shape and places on the white areas. Although paper labels are thicker than Tamiya masking tape I found them a lot easier to use because I did not have to trace the shapes onto Tamiya tape before cutting.

Anyway, I sprayed the RLM79 yesterday.

S9-DR:

IMG_0491_800.jpg

White 10:

IMG_0490_800.jpg

Regards,

Thanks Jes.

Last night I sprayed the RLM78 undersides on both Emils and the RLM80 splotches on White 10 followed by a bit of touching up with the RLM79. After that I removed the code and insignia masks.

IMG_0499_800.jpg

IMG_0497_800.jpg

IMG_0501_800.jpg

IMG_0502_800.jpg

Next will be the yellow on the cowls and the rudder of White 10.

Regards,

The major painting session has now come to an end. I have sprayed the yellow areas, touched up the RLM80 on White 10 and painted the canopy framing RLM71.

When the Emils have been left to dry for a couple of days I will move on to decalling.

IMG_0515_800.jpg

IMG_0512_800.jpg

IMG_0508_800.jpg

IMG_0507_800.jpg

Regards,

Thank you Mike. :)

I do most of my painting freehand, and White 10 is no exception. Sharps edges are usually masked, but sometimes I only use a temporary mask, i.e. a piece of paper or, more often, a piece of masking tape which I then move around on the model. It all comes from being lazy. <_<

Regards,

I applied decals to both models a couple of days ago. Most decals came from various Hasegawa Bf109E kits, both the black codes on S9-DR are homemade on a laser printer.

S9-DR:

IMG_0530_800.jpg

IMG_0531_800.jpg

IMG_0532_800.jpg

IMG_0534_800.jpg

White 10:

IMG_0523_800.jpg

IMG_0525_800.jpg

IMG_0527_800.jpg

IMG_0529_800.jpg

I still have to touch up the codes on S9-DR as the print wasn't 100 per cent perfect. My old HP 6L laser printer did a better job the our newer HP laserjet. I also have to remove the yellow finger print on the lower wing of White 10. :doh:

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...