38" Star Destroyer

does anyone know what "rotocasting"is?

"Rotocasting" is short for rotational casting. It's a casting technique used to make hollow forms, thus saving weight and material. The idea is that you pour some resin into your mold, seal the mold so that the resin won't leak out, and then rotate the mold around on all axes to evenly distribute the resin on the surfaces of the mold. When the resin sets, you're left with a hollow shape. Pretty cool stuff :D

this hobby could start getting expensive

Could???

My wife is happy when the Michaels coupon comes in so i can buy one of 5 aircraft kits from them at 40% off

Wowsers

Have to show her this one...

William G

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, the price is about right. When you take into consideration the man hours to make the master, the materials, the time to make the molds, the time to cast, the shipping cost, the shipping materials, etc.... it's about right. Garage kitters like Randy don't make a ton of money on these. He'll probably sell about 20 (if that) and will make a small amount of profit per hour of labor. He (and most resin garage kitters in sci-fi world) do it out of the love of the subject. He did a great Blockade Runner from Episode IV and a Radiant from Episode 1. The guy makes a great garage kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
<...> I never thought I could say $500 on a model was well spent, but the time and effort to recreate this beast at over 3 feet might justify the expense. It's a once in a lifetime thing for me. <...>

That's the spirit! :o

Edited by ChernayaAkula