Found an old A-4, TA-4F in Academy box, 48th scale, anyone know anything about it????, I was going to pick up the TA-4 version...............Steve

Those Academy A-4s are knockoffs of the OLD Fujimi 1/50 A-4 and TA-4, albeit with the tooling adjusted to have recessed panel lines. It's the only OOB way to get something approximating a 1/48 TA-4 at this time, but the conversion from a Monogram OA-4M to a TA-4F/G isn't difficult. Look around the forums, there's been at least one discussion lately about doing this.

Think it's either a repop or based on the old Fujimi kit, which is actually 1/50 scale. Aside from being underscale, I don't think the kits had much detail.

Hmmm...perhaps there's a connection here:

There's also this new(?) manufacturer named Hobby World whose products have popped up recently in the LHS. On the side of the box reads: Designed in Korea, Made in China.

hobbyworlda-4skyhawk.jpg

I was intrigued by the recessed panel lines and rivets, and the very low price tag convinced me to give it a try. BTW, the photo above isnt exactly my kit, but I have the very same boxing, anyway.

Upon getting back home, further research and comparison showed me that its indeed a copy of the Fujimi Scooter.

Im currently building it though. I find it a rather pleasant kit to work with - as long as I keep in mind that this isnt half the quality of the Hasegawa.

:thumbsup:

BT6

Edited by BlackThor 06

I guess the "F-4E" is just a typo , as the box sides show "F/A-4E Skyhawk"... :cheers:

Well, looking at sprue shots of the old Fujimi A-4E show an unmistakable resemblance, right down to the weapons loadout and even the shapes of the weapons. Here's a pic of Fujmi's offering (belongs to someone else who was selling the kit)

fujimia-4ekit.jpg

For the Hobby World kit, it has engraved panel lines and rivets, but it is inconsistent; as these details are faint near the edges of the parts.

Several parts have punch out holes, mostly on the undercarriage.

The cockpit has decals for the side consoles, and very fictional and overscaled raised detailing for the upfront display panel.

The pilot figure is the worst piece; looking like he sat too near a heat source a bit too long and partially melted.

There is an option to use the avionics hump, not like the Fujimi kit.

The two MER are way too small, and so are the "Mk-82" slicks. Hasegawa's Mk-81s are even larger in comparison.

Decals are only for for Israeli Air Force, even though the instructions also include a USN bird.

The fit is quite acceptable; what I like about this kit is the plastic used is very accommodationg to sanding - unlike other more manufacturers.

Let me show you some in-progress pictures of a fellow modeler (hope he doesnt mind), as I havent taken images of my own build yet.

ginosa-41.jpg

ginosa-42.jpg

Overall, if you can spare a few bucks, go buy this kit... but please dont expect much at all in terms of accuracy nor detail. Best given to a child who wants to start out modelling...or just to do a fun build (like I am).

;)

BT6

Apparently, he completed the build just today...I leave you folks to decide if the kit is worth it or not...

Personally, the shape of the canopy really bothers me...

ginosa-43.jpg

ginosa-44.jpg

ginosa-45.jpg

Please note that these pix are posted for discussion purposes only; as the builder may request me to take it down.

:salute:

BT6

Edited by BlackThor 06

Guys,

I have build the 2-seater version earlier, it have all short comming as mention by BlackThor 06, IMHO the shape of the canopy of the 2-seater is worse..

Slide8.jpg

Slide9.jpg

here is the size comparison with the Hobbycraft A-4C

48TPTM01.jpg