Hawker Hurricane refurbished

I believe it is a Canadian built Mark XIIB, equivalent of the British-built Mark IIB but with a slightly more powerful Packard Merlin. IIRC it was recently rebuilt from a derelict pulled from a swamp near Gander quite a number of years ago. It had been on one of the RCAF home defence squadrons and was abandoned after the war.

The 'B' wing is indicated by the two red fabric patches on the leading edge of each wing, covering the original 4 guns plus a further two outboard of the landing light. Twelve Brownings must have been terrifying. The exhaust glare shield was swept back slightly on some (all? exclusively?) Canadian machines, a minor spotting feature.

I am wondering about the serial. RCAF contracted machines had all numeric serials (4-digit during the WW II period) although BG974 seems to be close to the range of some RAF machines. I've dug around the internet a bit but have been unable to come up with anything more than CCF-96 (presumably the factory number assigned by the manufacturer, Canadian Car & Foundry). I see that's what the FAA records. Perhaps the service serial was lost or is the machine a composite of several?

I understand the machine is airworthy.

Edited by Bob Perry
  • 2 months later...

I agree, that it does look like a Canadian Mark XII, by the twelve gun configuration of the wing. The Canadian built Hurricanes did not use the spinner and had the bare prop hub showing as well. The serial number does not fit with a canadian built Hurricane. BG974 was one of a Gloster built batch of 450 aircraft - Hurricane MK IIB. A serial that would fit in the CCF Hurricane range would be BH 974. Just for thought on a grey Friday afternoon. Cheers.

Needs a Volkes air filter to make it an authentic representation of a DAF (Desert Air Force) Hurricane. It can be done, some one in the UK recently rebuilt a Spit VC in a desert scheme and installed a Volkes air filter and it has been flown.

Some nice shots, thanks for posting them. I hope to re-visit the museum in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to seeing that Hurricane.

Pima Air & Space also has a nicely restored Hurricane:

HurricanMkIIPimaMar073.jpg

HurricanMkIIPimaMar071.jpg

HurricanMk.jpg