US Army Hawks park here

Awesome shots, some of the best detail shots of deployed Blackhawks I've seen. I would love to start a modern-spec Blackhawk but at this point, there is just to much work that would need to be done. Hopefully we'll get some upgrade kits down the road.

I'm surprised that one of those dispensers is used for chaff, given the complete absence of radar-guided threats, figured they would find a way turn it around and use if for flares.

Thanks again for taking the time to post those pictures and provide all that background info. If you got anymore kicking around, post away!

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The local ROTC detachments (Air Force and Army) had thier comissioning ceremony last Friday, and they brought a four-star from JBLM to give the commission speach. The brought him in on a Blackhawk with a spare and set them down in the lawn by the music building. Here's a couple of pics I got. It amazes me how beat-up looking they both are, but particularly the spare the one not carrying the General. It looks like they took two helos and welded them together.

Aaron

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Edited by strikeeagle801

some more

Picture%252520217.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for posting. Interesting looking "widget" on the nose in front of the windshield... Still can't believe that medevac helos are unarmed over there, given the disregard for the Geneva convention by the bad guys.

The local ROTC detachments (Air Force and Army) had thier comissioning ceremony last Friday, and they brought a four-star from JBLM to give the commission speach. The brought him in on a Blackhawk with a spare and set them down in the lawn by the music building. Here's a couple of pics I got. It amazes me how beat-up looking they both are, but particularly the spare. It looks like the took two helos and welded them together.

Aaron

i wouldnt call it a SPARE. it is standard practice to fly in pairs in the Army Aviation world. Sometimes there are more, esp if the 3rd bird will be staying someplace like for a phase or reset, but yeah normally they fly in pairs. NEVER fly as a lone bird for a mission, only for a maintenance test flight.

Great pictures, thanks for posting. Interesting looking "widget" on the nose in front of the windshield... Still can't believe that medevac helos are unarmed over there, given the disregard for the Geneva convention by the bad guys.

thanks. the widget is actually a camera. it is connected to a box inside the helo and is used for what is called track and balance. essentially, it makes sure that the blades are all "flying" on the same track and that they have the same weight so that they arent flying unbalanced

Wow, very rare bird. You don't see too many pictures of a MH-60DAP, let alone one deployed. How old are those shots?

Thanks very much for posting these BTW, if you have any other pics of special ops helos, please post them as well.

Regards,

John

afghanistan5279.jpg

Yeah they are some very interesting pics you've got there Pete. Another thing I just noticed looking at this pic was the attachments to the ESSS pylon covers (the white things raised up and out to the sides). Another new mod/sensor for this helo?

If you have anymore pictures we would love to see them!

Cheers,

Tom

Pete,

Great pictures of some pretty rare Blackhawks. In addition to the new items previously pointed out, it is interesting that all of these helos mount the "disco light" jammer. These have been removed from all "regular" Army UH-60's over the last few years, due to the fact that they did not work that well against newer threats.

If you have any other shots of 160th SOAR helos, please feel free to keep posting, they will be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Daan.

After 2 years in the sandbox taking pics of everything, I got extremely lucky.

They happened to arrive, fly and take off on my day off!!! Could not believe it myself.

I had some really good contacts with our Apache boys but they wouldn't let me anywhere near those DAP's.

For some reason :crying2:

Graag gedaan.

Pete.

Hi Daan.

After 2 years in the sandbox taking pics of everything, I got extremely lucky.

They happened to arrive, fly and take off on my day off!!! Could not believe it myself.

I had some really good contacts with our Apache boys but they wouldn't let me anywhere near those DAP's.

For some reason :crying2:

Graag gedaan.

Pete.

Thanks for posting those pictures. They are truly some unique shots. It goes without saying that if you have any others (including other types of helos), please feel free to post them.

Regards,

John

• 10 months later...