how about this for an idea?

With the J models entering service with the USAF and other countries, I thought it would be neat if we came up with other versions of the J model, like the Spectre gunship and Combat Talon. I'm only nineteen, and I don't really know that much about scratchbuilding or modifying existing parts, but I don't think it would be that difficult. I would need the Itaeleri AC-130U and the C-130J kits for this project.

Is there anything else I would need besides the two kits ? Any advice or suggestions will always be greatly appreciated. As I said before, I don't know that much about scratchbuilding and any help is appreciated.

BTW, does anyone know where I can find those plastic sheets and rods that you use for scratchbuilding all of those details? I have been looking everywhere for these, but with no luck at all.

Thank you for reading......RYAN. :cheers:

I don't know that much about the difference between the J model and the legacy Hurcules, but I think the fuselage on the J model is longer than the original(correct me if I'm wrong, please). I think the engine nacelles or something like that are also different in shape due to the new engines. Again, I might be wrong. But, the idea of just getting the gunship kit with new props sounds a lot easier than getting two kits. If the AC-130H/U is the same as the J model in terms of length and shape, then I will go in this direction.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. And thank you TERRYT for the link to the evergreen plastic sheets.

Been looking a long time for these. My other ideas would be a WC-130J, DC-130J, EC-130J, and as

STRIKEEAGLE801 has suggested, an MC-130J. But, I think I will wait on these until my scratchbuilding

skills improve(I have none at this time).

RYAN. :thumbsup:

Edited by caudleryan

There are standard length AND stretch Juliets in service, although of all the Js I've seen, only one of them WASN'T a dash-30 stretch.

A possible J setup would have the 25mm and 40mm removed and 30mm cannons stuck in their place (one gunship is being tested in this configuration even now, although I thought I've heard that it's gotten mixed results), or simply delete the 25mm maneater and call it good (the AC-130H models gave up their motorguns a while back, I'll wager it's only a matter of time before the Us do the same thing). If you opted to do a stretch version (and do all of the surgery such a conversion would entail) you open yourself up to more possibilities (perhaps a forward-mounted 40mm, or something else)

I don't know how different the engine nacelles are, but they're probably not TOO different.

Good luck modelling all of the lumps and bumps that are on modern-day AC-130s (either variant), they're big and difficult to accurately replicate.

As for other variants, I couldn't imagine trying to build an EC-130 Compass Call... trying to get all of the wires on the back end of that thing would give me fits.

Edited by Skull Leader
A possible J setup would have the 25mm and 40mm removed and 30mm cannons stuck in their place (one gunship is being tested in this configuration even now, although I thought I've heard that it's gotten mixed results), or simply delete the 25mm maneater and call it good (the AC-130H models gave up their motorguns a while back, I'll wager it's only a matter of time before the Us do the same thing). If you opted to do a stretch version (and do all of the surgery such a conversion would entail) you open yourself up to more possibilities (perhaps a forward-mounted 40mm, or something else)

I don't know how different the engine nacelles are, but they're probably not TOO different.

Actually there are three aircraft modified. Yes we have gotten mixed results. 2 of them have been temporarily returned to a 40 mm and 105mm only config. More testing to come. Smart money is on the 40 disappearing before the 25.

And the engine nacelles are quite different on a J.

Check the Lockheed website for the MC-130J. They have ads for it in the Hurlburt paper all the time.

The EC-130J Commando Solo is currently flying with the Pennsylvania Air Guard at Harrisburg. It is a completely different airplane than the Compass Call "cheesecutter" tail the DM guys fly. They are the only Air Guard AFSOC unit. The HC-130J and MC-130J are in the works and we should have 6 of them on the ramp here at Kirtland in the next couple of years. All of them will be based on the standard length hercules fuselage. The longer fuselage can't do assult landings and for air refueling helicopters the hose length comes into play. I know the Marines have some long fuselage H model refuelers and I've heard about the tail end twisting some during refueling. The Air Force HC/MC "J"s will have the high speed tail mod and Sargent Fletcher refuel pods and so far they are saying a Nav/Ewo position on the flight deck.

The EC-130J Commando Solo is currently flying with the Pennsylvania Air Guard at Harrisburg. It is a completely different airplane than the Compass Call "cheesecutter" tail the DM guys fly. They are the only Air Guard AFSOC unit. The HC-130J and MC-130J are in the works and we should have 6 of them on the ramp here at Kirtland in the next couple of years. All of them will be based on the standard length hercules fuselage. The longer fuselage can't do assult landings and for air refueling helicopters the hose length comes into play. I know the Marines have some long fuselage H model refuelers and I've heard about the tail end twisting some during refueling. The Air Force HC/MC "J"s will have the high speed tail mod and Sargent Fletcher refuel pods and so far they are saying a Nav/Ewo position on the flight deck.

Are you sure they are Fletcher pods and not FRL (now Cobham)? Of course, I think Fletcher owns them both anyway.

It will be the Sargent Fletcher pod...the new version that looks like the one on the current MC-130E/MC-130P. They have a valve on the pod so that the hose can be released on the ground so the hose can be used to FAARP. Then you don't have a fuel bladder in the cargo compartment and a pump cart on the ramp. They will carry "roll in/lock in" palletized fuel tanks if they need them. The other pod you refer too is the pod on the MC-130H/W that looks like a bullet. (MCARS pod)

It will be the Sargent Fletcher pod...the new version that looks like the one on the current MC-130E/MC-130P. They have a valve on the pod so that the hose can be released on the ground so the hose can be used to FAARP. Then you don't have a fuel bladder in the cargo compartment and a pump cart on the ramp. They will carry "roll in/lock in" palletized fuel tanks if they need them. The other pod you refer too is the pod on the MC-130H/W that looks like a bullet. (MCARS pod)

I know it is the MCARS pod (spent too many hours inside/around it), that's why I asked, cause it looks pretty similar from the advert. Should be a pretty interesting aircraft, nonetheless.

I was hoping you'd chime in on this one, Shawn... I guess in my mind I thought the 40s got a bigger work out than anything else on a gunship, but I have nothing hard to gather that info from. Makes sense that they're trying to replace that gun though, the technology is WWII vintage (and I believe some of the 40s mounted on the early A models were too, lol)

I was hoping you'd chime in on this one, Shawn... I guess in my mind I thought the 40s got a bigger work out than anything else on a gunship, but I have nothing hard to gather that info from. Makes sense that they're trying to replace that gun though, the technology is WWII vintage (and I believe some of the 40s mounted on the early A models were too, lol)

No, no...you are right, the 40 is the weapon of choice for most of the crews. But the logistics of the 40 (lack of ammo, spare parts) has pushed the replacement.

Lots of stuff about the 25 as well (maintainibilty, ammo, tactics, etc) is pushing that to be replaced as well, though a lot of the crews want to keep it. It is probably the most intimidating of the three guns. You lose that effect by switching to the 30.

No, no...you are right, the 40 is the weapon of choice for most of the crews. But the logistics of the 40 (lack of ammo, spare parts) has pushed the replacement.

Lots of stuff about the 25 as well (maintainibilty, ammo, tactics, etc) is pushing that to be replaced as well, though a lot of the crews want to keep it. It is probably the most intimidating of the three guns. You lose that effect by switching to the 30.

I'm guessing it's a rate-of-fire thing? (IE, motorguns of ANY caliber seem to scare the holy caca out of people on the ground). Personally, I'd keep a closer eye on that gigantic silver god sticking out the rear end of the plane... when it speaks, ALL must listen...

I'm guessing it's a rate-of-fire thing? (IE, motorguns of ANY caliber seem to scare the holy caca out of people on the ground). Personally, I'd keep a closer eye on that gigantic silver god sticking out the rear end of the plane... when it speaks, ALL must listen...

Yeah, the rate of fire is the key. We like to call it a crowd control weapon, something to keep their heads down.

To me, a gunship is just not a gunship without a gatling gun of some kind. Which is why the H-models have been an empty shell of their former selves for several years.

Has any further research work been done on the 25mm Airbursting munitions for the cancelled OICW rifle project? It seems like something firing timed-airburst ammo would be a great choice as an anti-personnel weapon for gunships. They even designed a Crew-served version as a heavy-machine gun replacement.

And of course, any new version of the Spectre would have to include provisions to fire 105mm Sabot rounds, in case the Decepticons start any more trouble.

To me, a gunship is just not a gunship without a gatling gun of some kind. Which is why the H-models have been an empty shell of their former selves for several years.

I like that sir... hehe!!! :D

But yeah, a gunship without a gatling gun just looks plain wrong... :cheers:

speaking of the u-boat, I'm still not done with mine... its really taking a long time to build, specially the insides...

I like that sir... hehe!!! :woot.gif:

But yeah, a gunship without a gatling gun just looks plain wrong... :banana:

speaking of the u-boat, I'm still not done with mine... its really taking a long time to build, specially the insides...

The insides...that's some serious scratch-building there. Good luck with that.

These are all interesting comments. If I do this project, I am 100% sure that I will put at least the L-60 40mm bofors gun, the M102 105 howitzer, and the GAU-12U 25mm five barrel rotery cannon.

Basically, I want to put all of the U model's armament and sensors into a J model. I would also need

the Ball Aerospace ALLTV turrent, the AN/AAQ-117 FLIR turrent, and all other associated items.

I am also thinking of putting other weapons in as well. Any suggestions?

At this time, I am pretty certian that I will start this project in the next couple of months. This will be the

first time I attempt scratchbuilding, so it might not turn out the way I want it to. Please, if you have any

suggestions or advice that you think or know that will help, feel free to speak your mind. Any suggestions

or tips is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. :doh:

RYAN.

These are all interesting comments. If I do this project, I am 100% sure that I will put at least the L-60 40mm bofors gun, the M102 105 howitzer, and the GAU-12U 25mm five barrel rotery cannon.

Basically, I want to put all of the U model's armament and sensors into a J model. I would also need

the Ball Aerospace ALLTV turrent, the AN/AAQ-117 FLIR turrent, and all other associated items.

I am also thinking of putting other weapons in as well. Any suggestions?

At this time, I am pretty certian that I will start this project in the next couple of months. This will be the

first time I attempt scratchbuilding, so it might not turn out the way I want it to. Please, if you have any

suggestions or advice that you think or know that will help, feel free to speak your mind. Any suggestions

or tips is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. :doh:

RYAN.

I'd forgo the ALLTV turret (who is Ball Aerospace anyway?), and use the GMS2 sensor instead...may require a little scratchbuilding, but heres a link for you:

GMS2

And go with the AN/AAQ-26 instead of the -117 (we actually referred to it as -17E).

I'll be interested to see how this turns out...good luck and keep us posted! :tumble:

Edited by umgriz
I'd forgo the ALLTV turret (who is Ball Aerospace anyway?), and use the GMS2 sensor instead...may require a little scratchbuilding, but heres a link for you:

GMS2

And go with the AN/AAQ-26 instead of the -117 (we actually referred to it as -17E).

I'll be interested to see how this turns out...good luck and keep us posted! :D

Is the GSM2 sensor and the AN/AAQ-26 used on the U model or the J model, or both? I know now that there is a J model gunship being tested and I was just wondering what the exact electronic sensor suite is and where they are located on the outside of the plane. Also, does anyone have any advice on how to scratchbuild the GSM2 sensor? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RYAN. :blink:

Is the GSM2 sensor and the AN/AAQ-26 used on the U model or the J model, or both? I know now that there is a J model gunship being tested and I was just wondering what the exact electronic sensor suite is and where they are located on the outside of the plane. Also, does anyone have any advice on how to scratchbuild the GSM2 sensor? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RYAN. :D

There's a J-model gunship being tested? That's news to me.

Anyway, the U-model uses the Q-26 and the GMS2 "should" be starting testing this spring. As for the scratch-building....if you have the U-model TV ball it is just slightly smaller and bigger lenses.

The locations are the same as the old sensors.

The insides...that's some serious scratch-building there. Good luck with that.

yes sir, building the U-boat's gut will be a very tall order... but I think the main challenge for me here is to replicate the plumbing and wiring inside... so for the meantime, I think I may do some skill building first... and considering the rarity of C-130 models here, I can't afford to waste this one... :redx: