Eduard 1/48 Mirage 2000N Progress (updated Jun 27)

Well... got some more progress shots...

Working on sealing the rear gear doors... big gaps here that needed filling. Not only gaps but the fit was awful... lots of sanding required:

IMG_2094Small.jpg

Making sure to paint the inside portions of the air intake

IMG_2095Small.jpg

Right side smooth other side still needs work

IMG_2098Small.jpg

Work on the back end... where the vertical stabilizer meets the fuselage... wanted to close the gap... also I elected not to do the chaff/flare dispensers but go with the smooth finished look where the fuselage meets the wings in the back...

IMG_2100Small.jpg

You can also see that that gap between the fuselage and the wings have been minimized after the 'shims' were put in place to spread the 2 fuselage pieces a bit...

IMG_2101Small.jpg

IMG_2102Small.jpg

Making sure that the air intake trunks are smooth with the fuselage...

IMG_2103Small.jpg

IMG_2104Small.jpg

IMG_2104Small.jpg

Gear doors ready for painting...

IMG_2105Small.jpg

IMG_2106Small.jpg

The gap at the back of the front gear door is a little large... but it will fade in nicely once the pre-shading is done and panel lines drawn in.

IMG_2107Small.jpg

Rear end... gaps filled:

IMG_2109Small.jpg

IMG_2110Small.jpg

IMG_2111Small.jpg

Added some details to the back of the cockpit from the VERY few discernable photos I have of this area... some guestimation required ;-)

IMG_2123Small.jpg

IMG_2125Small.jpg

IMG_2133Small.jpg

IMG_2134Small.jpg

Added some detail to the rear wells:

IMG_2135Small.jpg

Used Gok's method of creating the bulge on the home made needle pitot tube from ARC's Tools 'n Tips section... turned out quite good actually. The pitot tube that comes with the kit is the absolute pits... and the N does require one.

IMG_2136Small.jpg

I think it's ready for the first coat of paint... I'm doing the 3 tone scheme: gray and green on top and light gray on bottom:

IMG_2138Small.jpg

IMG_2139Small.jpg

As always comments, hints, tips welcome...

-Greg

Gary... sure it would be but only from looking at it from the top... but hen you would have to make adjustments from the bottom... and also in front... I actually tried that first as a dry run and it meant I would have to cut into the bottom of the wing to fit the top part onto it as there is a step there. Also I would have to sand down the front of the wing where it meets the bottom wing. All this sanding would then mean that some of the right angles on panel lines and joins would not be so 'right' if you get my meaning... it's a toughie...

Now, that said... if you are going to do a dio with it glued to the tarmac for instance then no problem as you won't see too much of the details below... might be a good solution.

-Greg

mmaker,

Thanks... yes I have similar ones but it's always nice to have more ref photos... most of the detail behind the seats will not be very visible once the canopies are on... so long as they give a good impression of 'stuff' back there I'll be happy with it.

The other thing I still need to revisit are the 'glass breakers' on top of the seats. The Eduard resin seats that come with the kit don't have them so I'll have to add those on. There's a nice thread on the Britmodeller.com forums ... Pappy is doing a tremendous job on his... :-)

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.ph...12764&st=20

-Greg

• 2 weeks later...

comming along nicely Greg, nice to see you getting over the hurdles nicely. you think once it is done, you will be dam proud of this kit, with the amount of work you have had to put in and having to completely ignore the instructions, seeing it finished will bring a buz i bet!!!

the cockpit work is great, and i know what you mean about the gear doors, the only time they are all down is for maintinance work. and they would never have all three bays fully open, just the one they are working on at the time.

Richard

Here's some more progress photos... going slow as real life is taking a tole on my modelling time...

Had to add the 'glass breakers' to the ejection seats as the resin seats did not have them... I just cut them off the regular plastic kit seats and applied them to the resin seats:

IMG_2158Medium.jpg

IMG_2159Medium.jpg

The nuke, first coat of Tamiya Aluminum with some very slight pre-shading... too slight... I think it will just disappear after gloss and matt coats are applied:

IMG_2156Medium.jpg

Preshaded the kit and parts and applied light gray to bottom of aircraft, pylons and fuel tanks:

IMG_2150Medium.jpg

IMG_2157Medium.jpg

IMG_2152Medium.jpg

IMG_2153Medium.jpg

Thats it for now... hopefully I can get much more painting done over the weekend.

-Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... made some more progress on the Mirage. Finally finished up with the imperfections on the underside of the aircraft, masked off the underside and have started the process of painting the topside camo. Green first. Wanted to be sure to have the pre-shading subtly coming through...

BTW the whole underside is masked off... that's actually clear overhead transparency paper that I use sometimes... ;-)

IMG_2169Small.jpg

IMG_2160Small.jpg

IMG_2161Small.jpg

IMG_2165Small.jpg

IMG_2170Small.jpg

IMG_2171Small.jpg

Fuel tanks...

IMG_2173Small.jpg

IMG_2175Small.jpg

Also pre-shaded and painted the gear doors:

IMG_2178Small.jpg

... and masked off the canopy in preparation for gray paint...

IMG_2176Small.jpg

BTW, the Eduard 'Tamiya style tape' masks were excellent but not perfect... at least you don't have to cut out the awkward angles but you do need to be careful about application. In some cases I had to cut masks in half because they were not long enough for instance so I had to add filler tape in the middle... still it's worth it to get them if you can.

I have also been PM'ing with Pappy on the Britmodeller.com site who is also building this bird. He's helped me tremendously as he has done some excellent research. For instance the Nuke that comes with the kit is missing a fin at the rear... although I'm certainly not a rivet counter, a missing fin is a serious error that must be corrected.

Thanks for your input.

Best,

-Greg

Edited by lgl007
  • 3 weeks later...

Progress continues:

Finished up the missile rails:

IMG_2182Medium.jpg

Added detail to the front of the Magics...

IMG_2245Medium.jpg

Finished up the refueling probe...

IMG_2246Medium.jpg

Finished up and painted the Nuke... I added the missing central fin and thinned out the air intakes as they were way too thick...

M1Medium.jpg

M3Medium.jpg

M4Medium.jpg

Test fit for clearance...

M2Medium.jpg

Camo finished and details painted on... I hope you can see the subtle pre-shading on the top camo of the aircraft... hard to see sometimes in photos...

IMG_2190Medium.jpg

IMG_2199Medium.jpg

IMG_2195Medium.jpg

IMG_2196Medium.jpg

IMG_2197Medium.jpg

IMG_2198Medium.jpg

IMG_2205Medium.jpg

Well, that's it for now... thanks for looking.

Any hints, tips, comments, etc... as always appreciated... :-)

-Greg