• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Here is the finished article. X-1 number 1, Glamourous Glenis. Built for the 60th anniversary of the breaking of the sound barrier on 14th October 1947.

I built this 1/48 Eduard Profipack kit pretty much straight from the box. The kit went together very easily and needed no filler. I sanded the canopy flush and made the framing from decal film to try and get it as smooth and fine as I could. Hardest part was getting the Orange paint to be the right shade.

Hope you like it.

4-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Colin W

Edited by Colin W
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's RealSpace Models Mercury-Redstone in 1/72. The cure time of the Gunze Acrylics fought me the whole way on the tail section and repainted it many times until I got it right. I went to my standby of Model Master enamels for that. I didn't have any decaling to do there anyway.

The decals worked great. I only needed to use Solvaset on the capsule's corregations. I used Bare-Metal Foil near the steering vanes on the tail.

I punched the porthole windows out of acetate backed with BMF using my punch and die set. Gunze clear blue was used to finish them off once they were white glued on the capsule.

I hope you like it.

Rob

IMG_9691_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9696_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9692_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9699_edited-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's the finished Revell 1/24 Gemini model.

This has been one fun build for me. I bought the model about 15 years ago and, thanx to the Group Build, I finally got 'er done.

I figger it took about 120 hours, or so, to do ... and I enjoyed every minute of it ... well, almost every minute ... you all understand!

So ... when's the next Group build?? :thumbsup:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...abeautyshot.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...inopenhatch.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...sandAdapter.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...FF-FrontRHS.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...rnancloseup.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...-FrontRight.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...Sbeautyshot.jpg

Thanx for looking guys

Pete

Greetings,

I completed the 1/48 LEM project some time ago, but didn't get to have pictures taken until last night. Here's the overall view:

lemview.jpg

Here is a link to the page showing several other views:

Photo Link

More commentary will be added to the page next week.

Thanks for the opportunity to takle this project. I had been wanting build it but the Group Build gave me the incentive I needed.

Mike

Rama Lama Nota Lota Anything

Temple of the Rain

Oregon

Mark:

Great work! I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing the Glamorous Glennis X-1 in model form. Which kit did you use? It's tough to tell the scale in the photos.

Mike

Here's my take on the X-1 everyone's tired of seeing, Glamorous Glennis. Definitely an enjoyable build and it looks great on my shelf.

2001773615723866290_rs.jpg

2001732547965705589_rs.jpg

2001778334691230661_rs.jpg

2001777946380744794_rs.jpg

:tease:

I appreciate the compliment, Mike. I really wanted this one to turn out well. The kit is the Eduard 1/48 Machbuster boxing, a lovely collection of plastic, resin and metal.

Let me return the compliment on your MIS rocket builds. Beautiful work on what were apparently some mediocre kits. They'll make one heck of a display all mounted together.

:cheers:

"Here's my take on the X-1 everyone's tired of seeing, Glamorous Glennis."

Well, I'm not tired of seeing these! To Hades with those who are!! :cheers:

You've done a nice job on this!

Were the interior belts, and gauge faces, part of the kit or are they scratch built? Either way, they look pretty good!

Pete

Here's my not-so-complete build. i didn't know where you guys were wanting us to post the unfinished builds, so i just dropped it here. feel free to move it, delete it, or whatever needs to be done. i got a little further than what's shown here, but not much so.....failure was an option in this case. unfortunately.

this is with the water just painted and dry and the mostly shaped diver in place

DSC_0002.jpg

this is after painting some of the white caps. my first attempt at water. it could be better but overall i'm happy with it.

DSC_0062-1.jpg

thanks everyone for all the help and comments. maybe next time i'll actually finish on time.

Bill

"Here's my take on the X-1 everyone's tired of seeing, Glamorous Glennis."

Well, I'm not tired of seeing these! To Hades with those who are!! :nanner:

You've done a nice job on this!

Were the interior belts, and gauge faces, part of the kit or are they scratch built? Either way, they look pretty good!

Pete

I guess maybe my comment didn't come off as tongue-in-cheek as I meant it to :thumbsup: . Guess I shoulda stuck a :trolls:  in there.

Thanks Pete, for the kind words. The belts & panels did come with the kit; it's a pretty comprehensive photo-etch set. The only things I added to the OOB kit were some canvas covers and the seatbelt attachment rod in the 'pit and hypo-tubing for the pitot, probes, and rear vent pipe. 

:lol:

PS: Oh, yeah, also added a Mike Grant decal placard on the white instrument box in the cockpit.

Edited by mkimages
Here's my not-so-complete build…

…my first attempt at water. it could be better but overall i'm happy with it.

I'd say you're doing quite the bang-up job on what is obviously a very complex project. The water actually looks quite good in

both form and color. This promises to be a spectacular diorama when you finish it up. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

:thumbsup: 

Good job on the X1 Mike, esp the interior.

why the nose up attitude? Seems strange all the pics I have are for a level attitude.

Thanks Colin (I'm guessing you're referring to me, as Mike hasn't posted an X-1 :beer4: ), I just wish my paint job was as nice as yours appears to be. I still have trouble getting gloss finishes to lay down glassy smooth like that.

Dunno about the nose-up stance. To be honest, that's just how it went together with the tabs on the main gear squared up in the wells. I do remember thinking as I was attaching the gear how the real plane must have pretty much needed a three-point touchdown due to the low mains. Most all the references I have are the online images from NASA Dryden, but they all seem to show it sitting nose-up, though with the main gear a bit higher than mine turned out (I'll chalk that up to the loose fit of the resin wheels :thumbsup: ). Here's a couple of examples I've cropped out of those pics. I did rotate the images from the originals so the horizon is level; most of them seem to be taken at an angle to present the aircraft level in the frame.

2004330574068852528_rs.jpg 

:(