Post Pics of Your Workbenches!

While waiting for a set of Gator Masks to come for my Wildcat, I built a new spray booth. Here's the bench and old booth. My father in law helped me build it about 19 years ago, and it's served well. It'gotten kinda small for this work area.

I'd been kicking around the idea of replacing it for awhile, so when I found a range hood for $25 on craigslist, and my wife made a comment that my paint stank when she was in the room while I was painting, I decided to go ahead.

IMG_1283-1.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Here's the new booth and work area.

IMG_1285.jpg

A close up of the new booth. The hood is a 30", and the box is made from 3/8th plywood, and 1x2. I bought two pieces of 2'x4' plywood, because it was easier to handle. I cut them 30" wide for the bottom and back. The cut offs were trimmed to 12" wide, to match the side of the hood before it tapered in the front. I used 3 6' pieces of 1x2 to make the nailers and frame. All glued and nailed up. The hood slides in on top.

I wired an outlet box on top to plug in an extra light if I want. The vent is a 3x10 to 4" adapter, with an elbow. I will probably run it out the window over the bench, eventually. With the hood, everything cost me about $90.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after the move into the new house, I do not have a hobby room yet. I just started modeling again in my home office.

However, I am in the process of building an additional room in the basement, which will be excluseively used for plastic modeling.

Your pictures here gave me some great ideas.

This is my provisional workbench. The object on the window sill is the fuselage of a 1/12 scale scratch built F-16 R/C model.

Office.jpg

This is where the hobby room will be. It is about 2.20m x 3.80m (7' x 13').

Hobbyroom1.jpg

I just completed the first dry wall. This will also be my stash vault. Hopefully, it will be large enough to store all my kits.

Hobbyroom2.jpg

Edited by Lancer512
  • 7 months later...

Can remember if i posted this before but never hurts to double it up !!

here is where i spend too much according to the SWMBO...

Left Side is for modeling .Right side(where the chair is there a PC desk) is for Programming/gaming

p1030141o.jpg

Edited by Neo

Great thread, I can can tell who is married and who isn't lol

Will

:lol: :lol: Haven't done this in a while. Don't know if much has changed. My bench is in the basement, which i have all to myself.

Overall pic.

IMG_2179.jpg

Area on the left.

IMG_2172.jpg

Right side

IMG_2175.jpg

Center bench

IMG_2174.jpg

Entertainment. 34" HD flatscreen, BlueRay DVD, HD Digital cable, 5.1 Home Theater.

IMG_2173.jpg

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Is it me or does like 95% of ARCer's have at least 5 Phantoms in their stash but me. Whats the big deal about the F-4 lol I don't understand why Phantoms are everyones Fav's. What happened to everyones fav being the F-16 or the F-15 what happened to the good old days. I feel left out I only have one Phantom and it's because my dad has an infatuation with them also. Very nice shop Don I really like the set up. I had a shop with two 15 foot counter tops that was the best real estate money could rent lol :woot.gif:

Now I'm down to a 6 foot computer desk like Neo. Well exactly like Neo lol but hey you gotta live in your means right.

From what I can tell Don has 7 F-4 Phantoms Where's the other part your hiding.

Edited by Devilleader501

Is it me or does like 95% of ARCer's have at least 5 Phantoms in their stash but me.

Now I'm down to a 6 foot computer desk like Neo. Well exactly like Neo lol but hey you gotta live in your means right.

LOL we got lots in common! i dont have a phantom in the stash either !! i do have 3 F-14 :woot.gif:

i think if you have too much space you just end up spreading!! I use to work on the round corner of my PC desk and to give you an idea of the size my 1/48 Hasegawa F-14 BOX is on it and taking 95% of the space!!! (is kinda like the corner glass of my new desk in the pic above)

I put this in the other thread, but i'll add it here too

So here's My work area. I technically didn't clean it for these pictures, I just got done rearranging the room so the card table would actually fit in with the rest of the furniture and not just be in front of some bookshelves DSC04695.JPGDSC04697.JPG

and my not so large and Phantom free (for now) stash

DSC04698.JPG

Edited by Santini35

What I have really noticed with the stashes is that a lot of people have 1/32 kits in them. For awhile it seemed no one did a lot of them. I think trumpeter has really brought back the 1/32 scale kits. I myself only have 3, but two of them are phantoms. LOL. F-4s, f-16s, a-6s and ea-6s are the only aircraft I really like to build. I do love the f-14s though.

Jeremy

Is it me or does like 95% of ARCer's have at least 5 Phantoms in their stash but me. Whats the big deal about the F-4 lol I don't understand why Phantoms are ever

From what I can tell Don has 7 F-4 Phantoms Where's the other part your hiding.

Can't explain the fasination most modellers have for the real Rhino. I do like the fact there are/were so many operators and color schemes. I have five F-4 kits soon to be four. Two of the boxes are full of spares. The F-14/15/16s are there, to.

What I have really noticed with the stashes is that a lot of people have 1/32 kits in them. For awhile it seemed no one did a lot of them. I think trumpeter has really brought back the 1/32 scale kits. I myself only have 3, but two of them are phantoms. LOL. F-4s, f-16s, a-6s and ea-6s are the only aircraft I really like to build. I do love the f-14s though.

Jeremy

Eyes are getting old and hands are turning into all thumbs. It's a matter of what i can see and handle. Sucks getting old.

Geez Don, my living room doesn't even have a flat screen! :P Great workshop! Someday, just maybe someday...

Modelled for a long time on a folding TV tray. When the chance came i did indulge myself with the bench. The entertainment is there for long build sessions especially in winter. I spoiled myself there as well.

Don

Is it me or does like 95% of ARCer's have at least 5 Phantoms in their stash but me. Whats the big deal about the F-4 lol I don't understand why Phantoms are everyones Fav's.

Hey, I have exactly 1...uno...ichi...Phantom in my stash. It's a Fujimi F-4EJ. That's it. Absolutely no more. And frankly at the rate I'm going at...I'll get to it in maybe about...55 years. By that time, I will be 97. If I'm even breathing by then. :woot.gif:

Edited by The_Animal

LOL we got lots in common! i dont have a phantom in the stash either !! i do have 3 F-14 :woot.gif:

i think if you have too much space you just end up spreading!! I use to work on the round corner of my PC desk and to give you an idea of the size my 1/48 Hasegawa F-14 BOX is on it and taking 95% of the space!!! (is kinda like the corner glass of my new desk in the pic above)

Dude, you have to turn in your moderator hat until you have 5 Phantoms in the stash. Its in the Canadian criminal code, see section CCC 110.4. Don't make me come and lock you up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

After years without, I finally have a small space to build in so I figured I'd resurrect this old thread. I still haven't worked out a few things like where I want to try to set up a spray booth, and what my eventual workflow pattern will be. I'd like to eventually have a reference/decal printing (clean area), a vacuformming station (currently set up behind the low desk), an assembly construction area and a finish paint area. But I know that I tend to work on many projects at a time so they all will eventually just be modeling areas to do whatever I'm doing on whatever I working on. But I like to at least dream of organizing. :woot.gif:/>/>

I need to get the lawn mower out of the garage area so as not to keep tracking grass and dirt in so much ut for now it just stays pretty dusty. And I'm in Texas so I know heat and humility will be an issue. But it's MY space so I like it now.

IMAG0477_zps7k7kgpga.jpg

IMAG0482_zpso1ibrmlo.jpg

IMAG0479_zpsugamltsx.jpg

As a side note, that's my 7 year old daughter's Ghostbusters car on the short desk. She's a little young for a glue kit so I help her with that, but she's enjoying building I think.

Bill

• 6 months later...

Greetings all,

First off let me apologize for this mess of a room, messy by my standards anyway but, here is my modeling room. The room is roughly 9' x 12' with a ceiling height of 8'. I have plans to totally gut this room and redo it with better lighting and much more counter space. It works for now but, I can't wait to get it redone and more organized.

Steve

IMG_5414_zpsoyxlqued.jpg

This desk I use for sorting and labeling my aircraft slide collection.

IMG_5415_zpspxrqupdt.jpg

IMG_5416_zpszfj47m8y.jpg

My photo / slide collection cabinet.

IMG_5417_zps7pjum39x.jpg

My bookcase I made for my reference material.

IMG_5421_zpsxamipcdv.jpg

IMG_5422_zpsnhemhf2s.jpg

A pencil drawer holds stuff and keeps it out of sight. When I make the new countertops I will make more of these for tools / supplies. I don't want to use wall cabinets because I prefer to use the wall space to display other things.

IMG_5426_zpsaajwt0qm.jpg

My stash which is in another room in a closet. My spray booth is currently in the garage, which I plan on moving to the basement.

IMG_3301_zpsb4b36544.jpg