P-38J "Old Rusty" 94th FS, 1st FG, 15th AF

This is how I spent most of New Years Eve and New Years Day.

P-38J Lightning "Old Rusty" , pilot Warren G. Cambell. 94th FS, 1st FG, Foggia, Italy 1944.

Here a link to a color photo of the plane.

http://www.ww2color.com/search/webapps/sli...imary_key=06618

Will be using the Hasegawa 1/48 P-38J/L kit with Tally HO decals, Eduard PE, True Detail wheels and EZ canpony mask.

SANY1836.jpg

SANY1839.jpg

Cockpit is almost done. Still have to add some details and belts. The wire sticking up behind the pilots armor will connect to the top of the rear canpony where the intenna wires come through. I added some PE and bits and pieces to dress it up. The real shame is the instrument panel will not be seen because everybody molds the instrument shade all the way foward so the panel is barried in the back. Most pictures you see has it pushed back out of the way and you can see the instrument panel.

Mike

SANY1848.jpg

SANY1845.jpg

Note the instrument shade is pushed all the back out of the way exposing the instrument panel. Also note the armor plate behind the pilot leans foward (like the P-51/P-47) not stright up and down like the kit and after market companies make them.

p38_8.jpg

Edited by P-38 guy

Finished the cockpit and started work on the tail booms. They line up pretty good but will need some tweeking. I decided to wait and install the wheel wells when the booms are finished to get a better fit.

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made some progress since I'm out of work now.

SANY2015.jpg

SANY2016.jpg

SANY2017.jpg

I tried SnJ for the first time. I've been trying different BMF to what I like. You have to watch the tape when masking other colors. I had already did the OD anti-glare panels and was masking for the yellow and some of the tape was on the OD and it pulled it off but it just looks like paint chipping so no real harm done. The real pain will be doing the yellow circles around the gun ports. Going to look through all my P-38 decals sheets and see if there are any on some other sheets that I could use.

Mike

She's on her feet now. Almost needed three hands to get the gear legs together. I rebuilt the nose gear leg by extending the leg to give it more of tail low stance. I also turned it to the left some. Spinners were reworked a bit and I scribed a line around just above the holes for the props. They are not attached yet, just sitting there.

SANY2045.jpg

SANY2044.jpg

Mike

lookin really nice. was the front wheel turned by turning the contol column? if so, would the rudders also be turned if the plane was turning left, or were they not connected in that way?

looks great thier p-38 guy. thats one thing have yet to concur is that nmf , i hate doing it and avoit even trying to do it.

Thanks. I have been trying some different kinds. This was the first time for SnJ and it wasn't to bad. I do like the finish but I need to try it a few more times and get the hang of it. I just order some of those Talon Series Acrylic NMF to try on my next build for the Recon GB.

Mike

Edited by P-38 guy

I got most of the weathering done and the most of the decals on. Going to finish up the decals later today so I can finish getting the gear doors, canopy etc.. done then finish weathering. Trying to find a picture of the tail of this plane. All the other photo's I've seen of 94th FS planes have the s/n on the tail. The decals instructions says s/n unknown so there's nothing for the tail. If I don't find anything I'll just leave it the way it is.

Mike

SANY2074.jpg

SANY2071.jpg

SANY2075.jpg

SANY2072.jpg

• 3 weeks later...