C-17 Globemaster III

• 4 months later...
Were there any special markings for C-17 "5150"?

I do know some of the Hawaii C-17s have a "signature text" written above the crew entry door, one of them being "The Spirit of Go For Broke" but I'll have to check my personal photos to see if 5150 has something like that.

Edit: 5150 doesn't have a signature, unless it was added recently, and according to my knowledge, not all Hawaii C-17s have that text. I belive the "Go for Broke" line might belong to 5146....

Edited by aerodrew
  • 3 months later...

Haven't seen this C-17 post in a bit so I thought I'd add a few shots I took during my summer vacation over in the desert! The Dover Globemaster is the newest one I've ever seen - and over there no less! It sure looked nice compared to the dirty Herks I was flying. I like the one I took of us and 4135 playing chicken! We were fixing to taxi into parking to the left and he was fixing to taxi out. Happened all the time but I got a photo that day.

Enjoy!

Mark

017.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

028.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First off I have NO idea of what the root cause of this was. All I saw one day while driving back to go eat was this guy with the nose wheels completely sunk into the sand. It was too dark to get any decent pics as I drove by with my digicam. I took these the next day, after they dug the nosegear out.

S7303505.jpg

S7303506.jpg

S7303507.jpg

You can see the dug out gear at the extreme right in the pic, resting on what looks to be a pallet of some kind...

S7303508.jpg

S7303509.jpg

The tugs were connected to the main gear by some stout tow ropes. The main gear didn't sink into the sand at all on either side.

S7303510.jpg

The next day, I was able to get up close. Both tires were brand new

S7303540.jpg

Here you can see the damage to the right aft nose gear door.

S7303542.jpg

There was still sand & dirt in some places on the strut. You can see the undamaged left door in this pic.

S7303543.jpg

There were some creases put in the fuselage as well

S7303544.jpg

A few days later, I was filling out some paperwork when I heard a C-17 start its T.O. run (I'm not to far from the end of the runway). No biggie, happens all the time. A few seconds later I hear silence, then the roar of thrust reverser's. I think rejected take off. About 10 minutes later, here comes the aircraft in the pics back to parking. I'm thinking it was a high speed run for the new nose gear wheels/tires. It flew out the next day.

I'll venture a guess & say either the pilot couldn't see the end of the runway/taxiway or he didn't realize how close he was to the end . . . at least there was only minor damage.

VEs :thumbsup:

I would say that they took the turn wide. Ever walk betewwn the taxiways or hard stands in the desert after a rain? I have and what an adventure that was! Golfball size hail in Kuwait with an elevator trim tab in 25 MPH winds lightning all around with me stuck in the mud. This kind of stuff happens all the time with the ops tempo.

Curt

This wasn't at the end of the runway, this was around the 6,000 ft mark of a 10,000 ft runway.

The sand was dry, as it hadn't rained here for about 2-3 weeks. Funny, but its raining now.

Sparkchase, let me make sure I don't have any of your brothers in blue come find me & politely question me about these pics first.

Ish

• 1 month later...