C-17 Globemaster III

And off course, well maybe not so off course, some detail pics.

Exteriour.

DSCN2822.jpg

Chef-

VERY cool shots - thanks for sharing them!

I have seen several C-17s at airshows, but only once with these props deployed. Are they there to ensure the plane does not tip back when loading very heavy cargo? The weight of the the people touring the a/c did not seem to concern most of the crews (unlike a P-3 Orion!). I don't know why the one time they put them out and not the others.

P-100, s/n 02-1100. Barney hits the century mark.

2891157240037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

Boeing and the USAF have worked hard to keep the construction numbers and serials lined up pretty well. This is a rarity in warplanes. :)

Photo taken at Wings over Pittsburgh 2011. More pix here.

Gents,

'Hire 42' climbing out of Mildenhall about a month ago. McChord based aircraft who had landed the previous day at the other end of the runway in use, while I was waiting for him! Was not pleased at the time as I rarely seem to catch these things over here, and the C-17 is one of only three military aircraft I can claim to have flown in - marvellous beast!

6371687531_5fdb7aff37_o.jpg

Gary

• 6 months later...

Just after takeoff from Wright-Pat; sunny day but absolutely miserable wx, as the temp was 103F. That last part of the walk from the final bit of shade to the car was...bad ;-) I shouldn't complain, as many have to deal with that and worse on a daily basis, but it's tough on the uinitiated!

c-17dayton2.jpg

Edited by Chris707
  • 7 months later...

With such a large amount of flying hours being cut, I'm sure that trips to Grant County are on the chopping block, but here's a McChord-based C-17 coming in on short final to the main runway. McChord C-17's, Fairchild KC-135's and the aircraft based at Whidbey Island all use the several runways at Grant County International to practice. Formally Larson Air Foce Base, KMWH was originally a B-36 base. The main runway is over 11,000 feet long, and was an alternate for the Space Shuttle.

Aaron

IMG_0040_zps8435f545.jpg