Hey everyone!

Getting started with my entry, which is the HobbyBoss N/AW A-10 done up as a USMC "What if..." A-10M Sea Hog, with maritime strike loadout.

It will be decked out in VMFA(AW)-242 Bats decals.

Here's the kit:

2007models002.jpg

And here's the crew. In their current state, they look rather unimpressive :doh:

2007models003.jpg

Hopefully I'll get to work on it some more tomorrow :coolio:

jb

I can't wait to see this one!

For the life preservers,CraigSargent did some nice 2-part epoxy additions to a Marine Aviator in his Harrier build:CraigSargent's AV-8B+

I'm planning a 'what-if' for my Trumpeter 1/32 N/AW...but that will be another time......

-Dave

Edited by Maxtype

The thing looks pretty much just like a horseshoe shaped tube, and Craig used some miliput. That may be the way to go here as well.

Now, I've actually got some time to work on it, so....

bye. :D

jb

I will post some photos tomorrow, but I switched out the pilot figures for some that already had the life preservers on them, and far more interesting poses.

Yes! Hard Corps! HAWG!

Pics tomorrow at some point. I'm working on the cockpit right now.

jb

Top will be overall 36320 (Dk. Ghost Gray), Underside will be overall 36375 (Light ghost gray), and up around the cockpit area, and the leading edges of the wings will be 35327 (Medium gray)

Kind of A-6 Intruderish.

jb

nice color selection!!! that's what i'd do!

semper fi

Dan

I was going off of what I know to be current F/A-18D numbers, and also a color chart I have for some A-6E decals. Glad you like it.

Progress was slow, and I had to swap out Hobby Boss weapons for some Hasegawa ones. The Mk.20s and MERS were good, but the HB GBU-10s were kinda sucky. And I discovered that the Harpoons I had in there were some Revell ones. So I traded the GBU-10s out for a pair of GBU-24s, and the Harpoons for some AGM-84Es.

I didn't get any pics, but I did start on the seats and pits for it, and worked on the crew figures a bit.

At least it's fun so far... :blink:

jb

Gah! I need the wife to relent! The weather's been a bit nice the last couple of days, so we've been doing all kinds of running about, and projects.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be rainy and cold, so Sea Hog, here I come!

Ordnance update- I learned that my "depth bombs" are actually Mk.46 torpedoes :whistle: and so those are going to be on there as well.

jb

Progress is coming. It took a bit of work (and Tenax) but the CBUs are all together now. The HB Rockeyes have an issue- meaning a huge gap- at the rear. I also did some work in the pit and the bang seats.

I will try to have some pics up soon.

jb

Well, here are some photos of the very scant progress I've made :coolio: You'd think with all the wintry weather we've had this season that I'd be much further along, but no... no... I do not make the daily "to do" lists, and herein lies the problem. Anyhow:

groupbuildshots013.jpg

Here we have a big pile of weaponry- AGM-84Es, Mk.20s galore, Mk.46 Torpedoes, GBU-24s, Fuel tank, AIM-9s...

groupbuildshots014.jpg

Front-seater's pit, as it's going right now. I have a lot of detailing to do to the ejection seat, and I haven't even started the front panel (which is just positioned in there, not cemented).

groupbuildshots017.jpg

Here's the in-progress crew of this hog. They are both from the Hasegawa US Navy deck crew set. Pilot will be saluting, while WSO is checking things in the jet.

That's the first three I've taken, though I have done a bit more work on it since I took them today. Hopefully tomorrow will bring me some more time to work on it. I'm itching to get done with the cockpit, because the next step is... the gun... :doh:

Josh

Harpoons on an A-10..... :thumbsup:

Well duh... it's a "Sea Hog" :taunt:

Nah, seriously, that's all part of it being the experimental, one-off, anti-shipping hog what-if... It's also got torpedoes going on there as well.

And hey, if the B-52 can carry harpoons... I'm also not so sure what's 'weird' about an A-10 carrying a huge load of weapons.

jb

Edited by Josh1971