Thanks everyone! Back to work now for a few days, so I might not get to work on it as much as I want, but then I'm off Friday/Saturday again, so I'm still thinking it's airbrush time this coming weekend.

During the day (I work nights) I am hoping to continue work on the weapons/figures/landing gear.

jb

Any more progress on this that you can share? It's a good looking build so far and we want to see more.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually got some work done on it! B) I haven't taken any photos, because there was nothing particularly fascinating about what I've gotten done (Closed up the engines, scribed more, etc.) but once I get to the stage where I get her all pre-shaded, I'll take some more photos.

Got to work on the figures that will be surrounding it once it's done, too.

Yay! Progress B)

jb

• 1 month later...

All right- tomorrow is rainy, and the wife is at work, leaving me all to my lonesome to get some actual work done on the Sea Hog! Pictures will be posted once there is actual work done. :thumbsup:

jb

Well, here's the first coat of Dark Ghost gray on the top, and a weird thing happened, but I'm not too daunted. Usually, I've been using a prisma pen to do the pre-shading, but this time I actually used my airbrush to do it. When I then went to spray the dk. ghost over it, it's like the thinner in the gray paint made the black paint run a bit, which the strange streaking on the sides of the forward fuselage. Not to worry, there's another coat of that gray going on later tonight, and then tomorrow it's the light ghost gray on the underside. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I'll have the medium gray on the leading edges of the wings and around the cockpit area.

And of course, photos will abound. For now, here's the Dk. ghost 1st coat.

froggie004.jpg

froggie005.jpg

froggie006.jpg

froggie008.jpg

froggie010.jpg

And here's the ablative coating on the GBU-24s. This is the first time I've used the "Fabric Gray" paint by Testors, but it did come out with a rumpled, mottled appearance like the coating, so I liked it. I apologize for the crappy pic, and hopefully I can get a better one when I finish those bombs. The gray is a little darker than I'd like as well, so I'm going to see if there's a lighter shade of this fabric gray.

froggie009.jpg

Cheers! Back to work later tonight on it.

jb

Thanks, Jack-Swiss! I have actually been able to work on it THREE days in a row now! More airbrushing on the plane today, as well as some detailing on weapons, landing gear, etc. I've also been working on the little figures for the 1/2-ish diorama type thing around the plane. Now that the wife has gone back to work full time, see what that's done to my hobby time? I HAVE SOME! :thumbsup:

Now then, to pictures!

jewels011.jpg

The underbelly of the beast, in Light Ghost gray

jewels012.jpg

The top, with its fresh coat of Medium Gray around the cockpit and leading edges of the wings

jewels013.jpg

Different angle of that. I had a little dripitude which will need sanded down a bit. There's a little Dk. Ghost gray touch up coming as well.

jewels015.jpg

AHA! A much better angle of the GBU-24s, showing the texture of the Testors "Fabric Gray" paint I used.

jewels016.jpg

Couple more of the "Cast" for the diorama- a concerned weapons guy and a wandering pilot who will be in the background.

jewels017.jpg

Here's the whole mess as I keep working. And as if that wasn't enough, I've started....

jewels009.jpg

Yet another Hornet!

jewels010.jpg

Here you can see the cool, etched metal instrument panel. Thank you Frank Steffens!

So work rolls along on it. Hopefully tomorrow I can get to where I'm getting ready to do the decals.

JB

And so today pretty much just kicked arse! Plenty of stuff got done on the Sea Hog, but nothing so important as getting the Future coat, decals, and dull coat done. So now I can concentrate on detailing, and putting on the final stuff before arming it up and putting it in the FINISHED thread for the group build! :o

One note- I had to switch pilot figures for the front seater. The salute pose made no sense for the other things that will be going on with the plane when I have it done. I needed a pilot figure that was looking to the left, so I switched it out.

GBU-24s are done except for some decals. I finally got some paint on the Mk.46 Torpedoes, but as I haven't seen those things look the same in pictures, I'm just making up my own torpedo coloration scheme.

And without further ado... here are some more pics!

shawgupdate001.jpg

Here's the GBU-24s in their nearly-done state.

shawgupdate002.jpg

And the noses...

shawgupdate004.jpg

Tail section, looking at the starboard side.

shawgupdate009.jpg

Here's the port side of the tail with the "MARINES" decal on the engine visible.

shawgupdate007.jpg

The whole enchilada in progress.

So that's it for now. Most of the photos I took ended up being crappy. One day I'll get the lighting, command of my camera, and the model all in sync. Tomorrow I may not get to work on it much, but Tuesday will be a good day for it. During that day I hope to get landing gear on it, and lots of the detail stuff done.

See ya later!

jb

Thanks! As predicted, today was more a day for getting outside to do things (88 degrees here!) rather than hiding in my hobby cave to work on the Sea Hog. I will be back to work on it either tonight when I get off work (3am), or some time tomorrow if the weather is as cruddy as they are predicting it to be.

I'm enjoying working on this one, but I have to admit I'll be glad when it's all done and on the shelf.

I'll post more when I get back to work on it. Hopefully by then, I'll be able to mount it on the landing gear and have a bunch of the weapons done.

jb

that's starting to look really sweet!

semper fi

Dan

Great work so far :bandhead2:

Thanks, fellas! This is actually the first group build I've done, but it's been a blast. I'm going to try to get done with the 1/144 A-10 I've been doing as well, but no guarantees on that one. This Marine hog is one I've wanted to do for a while.

JB

In about five minutes, I'm back to work on it. I did a bit of work last night, but it was getting late and I didn't feel like taking pictures. The landing gear are on, and now I'm getting set to put on all the gear bay doors, antenna bits, and I got to put on the gun on the front. Looking nice, I hope my camera can cooperate and get a good pic of the "business end".

And of course, there's weaponry to be completed.

jb

Thanks, Moritz! And so here's a few more photos to tide you over while I head down the home stretch with this thing!

progresspics023.jpg

The whole enchilada with the canopy not really in place- just sitting there (I'm going to model it as open)

progresspics027.jpg

The replacement "Valkyrie", looking in the correct direction now, minus right arm.

progresspics030.jpg

And here's that right arm, getting ready to get the squadron patch painted on it.

progresspics025.jpg

I almost didn't post this one, between the cat hair and the fact I hadn't really cleaned up the edges of the canopy yet.

progresspics024.jpg

The business end of the Sea Hog- "Big gun make holes in boats"

Enjoy! I will actually get to work on it tonight when I get home from work at 3am! :doh:

JB

Looking good Josh!

Makes we want to add one to the stash-

Pete

Do it! Do it now! ^_^ Seriously, this kit's been pretty fun to build.

Hi That's relly looking first rate. Your doing a great job on it. Looks Relly Cool.

Texas :bandhead2:

Thanks very much! Looking at the forecast, I'll get to work on it quite a bit tomorrow. And tomorrow night.... and Tuesday.... <_<

But the good news in that is that I should be able to get it done this week, and thus come in on time for the group build :nanner:

jb

Well, I've made more progress than the following pics would indicate, but here's some of the work I've gotten done in the last couple days. Getting pretty close to being done! :lol:

progresspics2014.jpg

The crew in place. I'm planning to do a custom bit of art for the ladder access door.

progresspics2004.jpg

Crew from the other direction, showing the pilot's squadron patch on the shoulder (it was HADES painting that little lightning bolt and bat!)

progresspics2008.jpg

Finally done!

progresspics2007.jpg

And here's the bomb graffiti- "Aloha, B***es!", "Satan sez hi!", and "You just got bombed by 2 Girlz!"

(All of which will make much more sense when I post the finished aircraft with the story)

progresspics2009.jpg

Sidewinders. Yay.

progresspics2010.jpg

Targeting pod- not actually complete, but weathered and nearly done.

progresspics2012.jpg

The AGM-84Es, minus only their flat coat.

So that's where I'm at now, but I should have more done (and photographed) in the next couple days. I'm starting to have a dilemma about how to do the open-to-the-side canopies, as I haven't seen any pics of them, so I don't really know what they look like.

jb