Other photography besides aviation

Was gonna try out landscape possibly, i enjoy shooting cities also. This is what happens when g0 doesnt have planes too shoot. Anyone else have any tips? Will post some pics of my attempts

do you like macro photography? or wildlife? those are what i usually shoot. photography is another passion of mine. i'll post some of the last wildlife shoot i went too last fall.

Nature/wildlife mostly, and I'm still using film for that, thank you very much. It has a quality that digital has yet to achieve. I do have a point and shoot Kodak 3.2mp for family snaps and the like, and sooner or later I will upgrade to full digital, but until then my photography jacket pockets will be bulging with rolls of Fujichrome.

Here's one I took with the 3.2 when my parachute failed :lol: :

speed.jpg

My brother pointed this out to me a few weeks ago - If you look at the centre of that picture and move your head around a bit it, or in and out, it seems almost like a 3d effect. Weird.

Landscapes, nature and wildlife.. I still prefer my mamiya 645 and a tripod for most of that.. can't beat medium format film for some things.. at least until I break old habits.

For action, I use a canon 40D that I got last fall as an early Christmas gift.. it's really quick and versatile.

jack

Hey Go,

I like "abstracting" (if you can call it that) anything. Just look for interesting compositions, colors, patterns, etc...

Another thing you can do is to take photo-notes of various subjects to document a particular subject, like weathering patterns on construction equipment.

here's yhose wild life photo's i was talking about! i took these this past fall. i went on a shoot in upper Minnesota around october to a wildlife reserve. we traked this cat for about three days and set up in a rock formation down wind and waited for another two days for her to come out of her den. i was using my Minolta 7D(digital) and my Minolta Max9(film). i used an 800 MM F/2.8 with 2.0 extension tube(that's 1600MM) we were a long ways from that site. and she still new we were there. i have more of her hissing into the air i'll send those as well. the stalking one is her playing with her cub but it gives a sense of her wild side!

just click to enlarge

Semper Fi

Dan

cougar1hw2.th.jpg

cougartv9.th.jpg

cougar2up9.th.jpg

Edited by marine4 ever

Absolutely. I used to shoot a lot of landscapes before I was married and the family came along. Now I'm a glorified Family Album 'snapshot' artist, so I have to try and grab what I can as I'm rushing from one vacation moment to another.

I don't know that I have any tips per-se, other than to practice and experiment. One of the biggest pluses for me when I switched to digital was the ability to keep shooting and trying different things and seeing the results right then, rather than a week later when that 36 shot roll came back from the chemists. it let me experiment much more than I ever could with film.

Here's a few shots from various family vacations that I've been quite happy with.

Epcot1.jpg

Disney1.jpg

Wall.jpg

Rock.jpg

My wife and I started a photography and graphic design firm about five years ago doing all sorts of different things, magazines, travel guides, postcards and a lot of stock photography. over the past couple years we have found ourselves specializing in aerial photography which combines my two passions. Generaly flying low and slow taking images of some neat stuff.

Santa Cruz, Ca. the place I call home.aer_Steamers1.jpg

An abstract of Red Tide shot during a project for a University of California marine biology research project.

IMG_0325.jpg

The Sierra Nevada's, Mount Whitney. on my way to Death Valley. I shot this image as a background for photoshoping an image of one of my models into it.

aer_sierra_1.jpg

Death Valley abstract. Another University of California project.

aer_dthvly_1.jpg

Another one of my passions. If I'm not flying or taking pictures, you can find me in the water.

backslash.jpg

Sunset over the redwoods of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

SummitUntitledSQ7.jpg

Pigeon Pt lighthouse.

PidgeonPtBlues.jpg

I better stop now, I could go on all day.

Thanks for sharing you images gang. There is some very nice work on display here.

Cheers,

Mark

My wife and I started a photography and graphic design firm about five years ago doing all sorts of different things, magazines, travel guides, postcards and a lot of stock photography. over the past couple years we have found ourselves specializing in aerial photography which combines my two passions. Generaly flying low and slow taking images of some neat stuff.

Santa Cruz, Ca. the place I call home.aer_Steamers1.jpg

An abstract of Red Tide shot during a project for a University of California marine biology research project.

IMG_0325.jpg

The Sierra Nevada's, Mount Whitney. on my way to Death Valley. I shot this image as a background for photoshoping an image of one of my models into it.

aer_sierra_1.jpg

Death Valley abstract. Another University of California project.

aer_dthvly_1.jpg

Another one of my passions. If I'm not flying or taking pictures, you can find me in the water.

backslash.jpg

Sunset over the redwoods of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

SummitUntitledSQ7.jpg

Pigeon Pt lighthouse.

PidgeonPtBlues.jpg

I better stop now, I could go on all day.

Thanks for sharing you images gang. There is some very nice work on display here.

Cheers,

Mark

HIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Semper Fi

Dan

HIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Semper Fi

Dan

When was the last time you were in Santa Cruz? With the price of living here the Hippies have all turned into Yuppies. Or moved back to some place like Wisconsin. :whistle:

Hey, cool Mountain lion shot's. Nicely done. :D

Semper Fi

When was the last time you were in Santa Cruz? With the price of living here the Hippies have all turned into Yuppies. Or moved back to some place like Wisconsin. :whistle:

Hey, cool Mountain lion shot's. Nicely done. :D

Semper Fi

what they've drop the motto of "if IT's yellow let it mellow, or if it's brown flush it down"? i admit it's been awhile! wisconsin(Madison) has it's share of Granola eating tree hugging liberals! not that that bothers me, considering i lived on Haight/cole st's. . for 7 of the 9 years i lived in San Fransisco(during the time Jerry Garcia Died) :D . That was a wreck! shrines everywhere and freaks looking for an excuse to party!!!!! i just wish they'de shower! :doh:

Well, beside the ever present aviation work, I like doing landscapes, some wildlife (not a lot really), portraits and fine art nudes. I especially like documenting old abandoned buildings, vehicles and ghosttowns.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujiboy/508059882/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujiboy/2115551352/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujiboy/2116073306/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujiboy/2116070760/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujiboy/2114657115/

Edited by Fuji

I like doing black & white...I did a series on "People Working" years ago, all shot with my Nikon N90 and Ilford B&W film.

:thumbsup:

Wow, something about well done B&W...LOVE IT! I was watching "Island In the Sky" a few days ago and there is something about the B&W. I haven't tried to do much in the way of picture taking recently and it was mostly snaps anyway. Did enjoy taking pictures of the wife and did some B&W with her....might need to try a little of that old school film stuff again.

A lot of good pictures here...Wanna see picture of my tractor? Chainsaws? I feel so untalented. :cheers: