Other photography besides aviation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Monday, the 31.08.2009 we had a severe flat fire, with 4 dead persons and two children, who are orphans now.

Pics from the scene:

http://www.feuerwehr-schwelm.de/index.php?...g&album=143

I took ca 75-80 % of the photos at the scene, If I would have upload them, I'd have edited them first (lighter, sharper) and I would have choosen other pics, some aren't that good to be published, but.....

I took this photo just after the first roses and candles were laid down.

img6259tzd.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/medevac71/3881090456/

Edited by Medevac71

OK, re-posting, my "Flickr" account is back.

First, some barber shots from way back, in my Wright State Days, some from 1990 and some from 1995. LOT of history in that old shop, "Doc" cut hair there from the mid- to late 1950's up until...at least 2002. He cut my dad's hair, my older brother's hair, and my hair, from my infancy up until I was 31 or so. Youstler's Barber Shop, located in Middletown, OH, across a side street from St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, I last drove by in 2004, and it was still a barber shop, but new owner, new name, sad for me.

3858184097_9fb1674e1f_b.jpg

3858184177_0608b99db9_b.jpg

3858973756_ce311ee8b3_b.jpg

3858973866_a12a131539_b.jpg

3858974018_2a2aee4d0d_b.jpg

And, my favorite image of the group, oddly enough taken for the FIRST assignment, in my FIRST photo class ("Introduction to Photography"). This is by far my favorite B&W image.

3858974118_a268cd614a_b.jpg

Next up, a few from an Italian restaurant where I pulled a couple of short stints.

These are from my Wright State days again, from 1995. I worked at a small family-owned Italian restaurant, Stefano's, on Central Ave. in Middletown, OH. Joe the chef was a great guy, made mean Italian cuisine, sadly, though, he's no longer with us, he passed away too early in life.

3866772463_139facdc18_b.jpg

3867557034_a917489a2b_b.jpg

This last one, my instructor compared to the work of August Sander, a German photographer from the late 1800's and early 1900's, he did portraiture of working people, which is also my passion. I had no idea who August Sander was until my instructor made the comparison. Below that is a link to the Sander photo to which my instructor referred.

3867556250_b58da269d0_b.jpg

Sander's photo of a chef....

http://www.masters-of-fine-art-photography..._sander_17.html

(Yeah, I just realized, Joe is sporting a mullet....what can I say?)

I may post my recent foray into a barber shop again...the ones I posted in June but got hacked.

Thanks for letting me share.

Mitch

Edited by MA Cooke

The story behind this image is that I went to Douglas College in the University Transfer Music program. I was a vocal major, and he was a trumpet player. I also played the piano and accompanied him on a required performance on the course curriculum. However, I dropped out of the Douglas College UT Music program when I found out that my interests lay elsewhere (plus I didn't have enough talent in music other than to keep it a hobby. He continued on through UBC and got his masters out east and became a professional music teacher, and orchestral musician. We saw each other for the first time in 16 years yesterday when he and I did a requested photo-shoot for his professional musician website.

9623_137249699843_123211794843_2448224_885139_n.jpg

9623_137249724843_123211794843_2448227_6482057_n.jpg

9623_137249709843_123211794843_2448226_5621770_n.jpg

Edited by The_Animal

Hey there =)

At the end of last month we had a severe apartment fire with 4 dead people (+unborn) and now two orphans. I am a fire fighter and later also photographer at the scene. I was also inside the building and one photo I took remembered me of a German fire safety campaign with burnt teddy bears, dools and slogans with wordplays - quiet heavy stuff, when you see this the first time - but I think they are great.

Photos of the apartment/flat fire scene:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/medevac71/set...9074666/detail/

So today I started taking pics like these, with this time english sentences (what is really more difficult, I hope they are all right, grammatically and so on, if not, pleaye correct me !):

img8420a.jpg

img83081.jpg

img8317l.jpg

img83082.jpg

img8347i.jpg

FIRE and SMOKE are dangerous - take care of you and your loved ones (e.g., do you have smoke-detectors ?)

See ya

Edited by Medevac71
Hehe, thank you.

Well, okay, so tell me, how would it be right ? :wave:

Can't you say "to lay a fire" -> They laid in bed and he laid a fire (accidentally- of course) ?

Well, I'm sure someone with better skills than me can advice you. But it should be "to LIE in the bed" rather than "lay".

Ha...... *understand*... yes, really.

Can you say "the lay (that case:laid) down in bed" - that should be possible, eh `?

A friend just told me that it is possible.

I meant to correct this phrase: "he a fire".

Edited by -Gabe-
A friend just told me that it is possible.

I meant to correct this phrase: "he a fire".

lie, lay, lain. Lie on the bed

lay, laid, laid. Lay an egg

Edited by Wayne S

Some shots from a recent ski trip to the Mount Ruapehu area in New Zealand last month....

Mount Ruapehu lit by the full moon (on a very cold winters night!). About a two minute exposure. This is the first time I tried taking pictures like this, so experimented wildly with exposure times (from about 30 s to 4 minutes). There is a bit of noise in the shot, I haven't figured out why yet, although the headlights of vehicles passing behind me on the road I was standing beside may be involved.

Mount4.jpg

Zooming in a little. The lights of the grooming vehicles on one of the ski fields are visible, as well as the moonlight reflecting off the snow and ice.

mount3.jpg

Mount Taranaki viewed from Mount Ruapehu (about 80 miles / 130 kilometres away) in the morning light as the same full moon sets

Mount6.jpg

The shadow of Mount Ruapehu receding from the horizon as the sun rises

Mount7.jpg