Other photography besides aviation

When it comes to photography, I'm into almost any genre; landscapes, cityscapes, portraits, abstract, patterns etc.

Just a few snaps from my Flickr stream:

3746556358_fabefc97b9.jpg

3745767271_8bc93f8f5c.jpg

3763960836_03cbb00f9f.jpg

I'm a complete geek about sunsets and dusk landscapes, especially if there's an ocean view thrown in.

3743725790_42fd1579fb.jpg

3752629143_6c90039ffc.jpg

3753423596_440ea847d6.jpg

During this time of year, autumn here in Pennsylvania, I like to get out and photograph the fall foliage. This year seems to be better than most.

<...>

Whoa! :woot.gif: Look at those colours! :worship: Unreal! Excellent stuff, Dave! :blink:

During this time of year, autumn here in Pennsylvania, I like to get out and photograph the fall foliage. This year seems to be better than most.

Absolutely....beautiful! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

being an ex freelance photographer i like to work to briefs when not shooting aircraft so enter on line comps !! i have had a few firsts , quite a few seconds and have lost count of third placings !!

here's a few to give you an idea

brief .... patterns

shot of a picnick basket naturaly lit

whicker013_edited-1.jpg

brief .... street furniture

natural light converted to grainy black and white with a colour pop to emphasise flowers

streetsign.jpg

brief .... water

three photo's taken with advance thaught for blending together in photoshop , i didn't personaly think it was one of my best

but it took first ... so i probably did something right !!

water025.jpg

brief..... movement

taken at 1/20th sec at f20 handheld on 300 mm lens !!

this photo is a sort of sore point !! i had another shot of a difrent canoeist but with much more movement blur i discussed it on another forum and they prefered this one so i replaced my original choice with this one !!

ironicaly the judge gave it third but commented if i had stuck with my original it would have gave me first

no accounting for diffrent tastes !!

cannoes029.jpg

and finaly this weeks entry !!

brief ..... my favourite book

no accounting for tastes again but taken in a minitype single light studio , blended with a previously taken horse shot in photoshop and text added !!

see how we go this week !!

blkbuet008.jpg

Edited by tornado64
  • 2 weeks later...
Thats Awesome congrats. Love the idea of the log.

Just part of a limb I trimmed off a tree that was going to be discarded. I used a spad bit and drilled in several holes. Recycled a eyelet from something else. The wood peckers as well as the other birds love it. I refill it about every third day with the cheapest chunky peanut butter I can get.

• 4 months later...

4485027847_5a16521291_o.jpg

"Defining Sorrow #1" - An Empty Chair

Today I've been feeling rather in a black mood. And hung the jacket my dad always loved to wear over an empty chair and took a photograph. It was just my way of showing just how much I'm missing my dad today.

I did a theme of "people working" back in the early and mid 1990's while at Wright State University in Dayton, I took (4) photo classes in the art department. These were from a small, family-owned Italian restaurant in Middletown, Stefano's, where I worked a couple of stints. Joe the chef is sadly no longer with us...he was a good guy.

My art instructor compared much of work to that of August Sander, a German photographer around the turn of the century (1800 to 1900), he did portraiture of people working.

3867556250_b58da269d0_b.jpg

3866772463_139facdc18_b.jpg

3867557034_a917489a2b_b.jpg

MA Cooke,,

I really like the atmospheric black and white photos..the subject becomes the focus .

GREAT photos of Lydia et all at the swim meet too.

thank you for posting them, there are some good action photos and you capture their characters so well.

HOLMES

Thanks Holmes. I posted these before, but I must re-post...my absolute favorite subject to shoot is barbershops. A slowly dying piece of Americana, the last bastion of manhood. When I was growing up, I had one barber, he had cut my dad's hair for years, and he cut my hair for 30 years. It was an unwritten rule that women weren't allowed in. There was no such rule, but my mom, my friend's mom, other women, they didn't WANT to go in - they knew it was a "men's" place.

This was Youstler's Barbershop on Curtis St. in Middletown, across from the side of St. John's church (Catholic). Doc Coffee cut hair there for years. I haven't seen him since my father passed away in 2002.

3858974118_a268cd614a_b.jpg

3858974018_2a2aee4d0d_b.jpg

3858973866_a12a131539_b.jpg

3858184097_9fb1674e1f_b.jpg

Hey Cookey,

The photos of the Braber shop are very sombre yet very reflective of the era.

They are probably aware of your lense,but carry on reagdless and they feel so

unrehearsed as they continue with their task at hand.SUPEREXCELLENT photos ...

Hey I THINK you should go and see Doc Coffee when you are next in the area ...and take more photos of him is he is still around... :salute:

AND That jeffguy and Nick, your photos are good too..

I like the b/w photos of the officer...

• 3 weeks later...

27010_423749250294_730735294_5794814_6124023_n.jpg

Just trying to get myself into the swing of things before I start going nuts with my D300s and 70-200mm f/2.8.

The pink dogwood flower shot's with my venerable yet beloved D50...and 50mm f/1.8 D. I should try street/candid photography, but I've never really been all that great with it.

Edited by The_Animal
27010_423749250294_730735294_5794814_6124023_n.jpg

Just trying to get myself into the swing of things before I start going nuts with my D300s and 70-200mm f/2.8.

The pink dogwood flower shot's with my venerable yet beloved D50...and 50mm f/1.8 D. I should try street/candid photography, but I've never really been all that great with it.

SO the old one shoots WELL..

Nice color and sharp image...Cool picture as well!

Thanx ...

Edited by HOLMES

PhantomPhixer74..

Those are good photos...

the photo under the squirel ..I cant even begin to say its name as I have bad memories of those things when I was In INDIA..They creep about on the walls and Yuck they give ME the wobblies...

But it is a GREAT pic...

Thankx...