Other photography besides aviation

I've really been wanting to give my new Canon 5D Mk II a workout, and the kart races gave me just such an event. This was also the first time I used UV and polarizing filters on my lenses (steady upgrade with a steeper learning curve, I tell ya):

IMG_0091_zps655cd4c5.jpg

IMG_0112_zpsac56072b.jpg

IMG_0106_zpsbf1391e0.jpg

Also, on a related note, Photobuckets new format does indeed blow dead bears. Couldn't leave well enough alone...

At a recent model show, the Orca from Jaws

Orca_zps20c88b93.jpg

A forest fire

CF6.jpg

and where there is smoke, there are smokers

CF8.jpg

Last summer my crew was assigned to wrap a historic lookout tower with protective foil. Looks kind of like a giant Jiffy Pop.

AnthonyPeakwrapped.jpg

I also like to grab wierd stuff I find by the roadside

Some neat yard art

IMG_2092.jpg

carved from a stump

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

a Tule Elk checking me out at work

IMG_0033.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

Love the Chrysler bldg, one of the best looking buildings ever built. :thumbsup:

How about some womens roller derby. Unfortunately the building uses those horrible yellow-orange mercury vapor lights which has made it really hard to color correct. Any tips on that gladly accepted.

IMG_2690_zps6f1aaa60.jpg

IMG_2709_zpsc772f469.jpg

IMG_2746_zpscde741e3.jpg

IMG_2753_zpsd1320063.jpg

Blarney Castle - 3rd time kissing the stone

DSC_0449-1_zps13e9d909.jpg

Irish countryside from the top of Blarney Castle and the River Shannon from King John's Castle in Limerick

DSC_0477-1_zps7af71d4a.jpg

DSC_0256_zpsad191cfb.jpg

Houses of Parliament from the London Eye

HousesofParliament_zps0b65adb2.jpg

Ls Seine by day and the famed Moulin Rouge

LaSeinebyDay_zps9f00a00d.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

I was back up in NYC on business a week ago, and of course brought the camera...

Lexington Avenue near 47th Street, the Chrysler Building in the background...yes, I really am a Mopar Guy!

JM_2013_03_14_NYC_001-XL.jpg

Moose,

Just beautiful scene there!! :jaw-dropping:

fantastic stuff as usual Gerald, I love the pp you did on the train shot.

well this next batch might be a multi part post. yesterday morning I stopped by minoru park in richmond to shoot the cherry blossoms.

DSC_5262_zpsf77f02cf.jpg

DSC_5318_zpsa0c17ed0.jpg

DSC_5333_zps2e4d243d.jpg

DSC_5294_zps24e81ccd.jpg

DSC_5378_zpsd4ff6633.jpg

DSC_5384_zps0722e478.jpg

That last one wants turning slightly so the water falls vertically, stunning pictures :) hope you don't mind me saying that, it looks wrong to the eye falling on an angle and it would level the top of the fall :)

Edited by TonyT

Gerald

Loved your teaser video..

Those photos are great.. Nice work shots with the LEA too.

Dylan , your scenic photos are always a delight to see and the waterfall photo looks quite serene and peaceful.

Thank you Gentlemen.. :thumbsup:

That last one wants turning slightly so the water falls vertically, stunning pictures :)/>/>/>/>/> hope you don't mind me saying that, it looks wrong to the eye falling on an angle and it would level the top of the fall :)/>/>/>/>/>

thanks Holmes, I just wish I had a little more time out there

Tony:I fixed one of them so the water is vertical, then the river at the base of the falls is not level, Im not sure which one works best>

DSC_6064-XL.jpg

Edited by dylan

Beautiful photos guys.

Jim, that beach shot has an almost ethereal quality about it.

I agree with Dylan Gerald, the colour splash on the train looks great. Very inspirational (see below ;) )

Superb shots as usual Dylan. Glad you got the hosting thing sorted. The cherry blossom came out well, particularly the big pom-pom with the background nice and blurry. So much depth in that shot. You did well to keep each bloom crisp. Was it a nice, still day?

The scenery that you found in the landscapes is beautiful and you've captured it perfectly.

I love the lens flare in that tree line shot with the rock in the foreground. My only wish is that the perspective would have had the trees more in line with the flare to make it absolute perfection. :thumbsup:

I also like the composition of the first waterfall shot. It creates alot of drama to my eye. Gret stuff. :worship:

I'm borrowing a macro lens from my cousin at the moment and stumbled across a snail shell in my garden that was un-inhabited. I balanced it on a pigeon feather and snapped a couple of pics in today's sunshine. Not everyone's (anyones? :lol:) cup of tea but I had fun.

I've played around with the cropping as well as making them black and white to see what effect it had in the final result.

Snailsheelonafeather_zpsd0cc1b77.jpg

Using the colour splash technique that Gerald showed earlier on his diesel loco.

Snailshellcoloursplash_zpse084699c.jpg

And a couple in black and white.....

BampWsnailshellonfeather_zps93ba3e08.jpg

Snailshellinbw_zpsab3bbb78.jpg

It would be great to get a bit of feedback if anyone can be bothered..... ;)

Cheers.

:cheers:

I fixed one of them so the water is vertical, then the river at the base of the falls is not level.

Hey Dylan, can you run it through the lens distortion portion of PS?

Edit: Answer, yes you can but it loses something in translation....

DSC_6065-2-XLcopy_zps331501c6.jpg

(Apologies for using your image Dylan.)

The large tree on the left hand side is lost as is most of the soft running water in the foreground. I think I prefer the composition of the original, don't you? :hmmm:

Edited by geedubelyer

thanks Holmes, I just wish I had a little more time out there

I fixed one of them so the water is vertical, then the river at the base of the falls is not level.

DSC_6064-XL.jpg

Dylan,

MY eyes sees disorder and distortion as one would see in real life as natural wonders such as trees take on weird but beautiful shapes , so I thought your original . ORIGINAL looked great to ME..But that is because I see distortion as part of life.. :coolio:

But whichever you show it I LOVED it.. :worship:

Edited by HOLMES