Other photography besides aviation

Holmes, there's a difference between "zoo photography" and "wildlife photography". There's been serious debate in the photography community over this. Photography contests have rules over whether contestants can submit "zoo" photographs as opposed to wildlife photography which involves tracking animals who have not had anything but sporadic human contact. And that's what differentiates wildlife photography (which requires tracking skills and knowledge of the animals that you are tracking) over zoo photography where the subjects are readily provided for you. Hence the need for the "fancy gadgets".

http://www.brendansadventures.com/national-geographic-photo-contest-zoo/

Not to take anything away from tdogg's photography (which was very good) - but the definition of wildlife is as follows: "Wildlife traditionally refers to non-domesticated vertebrates, but has come to broadly reference to all wild plants, animals and other organisms." Wild being read as "undomesticated".

tdogg, I really liked the image of the two foxes curled up and napping. If I can give you a hint with regards to improvement of the images. Focus your camera's focus point on the eyes of your subject, if you can get close enough to the fence. It looked as though the focal point aimed right for the tail which was crisply in focus.

When you look through your camera's viewfinder, you should see these; these are focus points. There should be external controls to move your focus points onto your subject, learn those controls from your camera user's manual. When you move the primary focus point around, the active focus point should light up indicating that it's active (that's depending on your camera). Also Depending on your camera, the points may be in different locations from the indicated image below. And there may be more of them depending on what camera you have.

1602_07.jpg

12-14-2012_LDM_Crow_didyougetmybestside_wm.jpg

06-19-2012_female_RWBB_wm.jpg

Maintaining focus on the eye of your subject is essential for a photograph. It brings attention to the face. And most times, the position of the subject may make it so that the center focus point isn't the one that gets you the best composition.

Thanks for the "lecture" :woot.gif: :woot.gif: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the "lecture" :woot.gif:/> :woot.gif:/> :thumbsup:/>

Usually I charge for it... Just kidding. :D Holmes.

Thanks, tdogg, for taking the suggestions in the spirit offered. Hopefully I get to see more and more of your images. They show promise.

let's get this thread back to the first page

DSC_8634-XL.jpg

. . Dylan looking at this seems quite poignant , and peaceful..

The serenity of it all allows you think that beautiful things do exist in out world amongst chaos and disorder.

Truly a wonderful photo.thank you :wub:

Neat shots guys.

TDogg, what sort of aperture and exposure times are you using on the night shots? Are these straight off the camera or do you use software to crop the images?

Dylan, that is a sharp daffodil close-up. Love the minimal depth of field effect. The super crisp focus on the water droplets with the background nice and soft creates so much depth in my eyes. Good job.

I could spend all day every day doing macro photography. My cuz was good enough to lend me a 60mm macro recently and I've been laid on my belly regularly snapping various plants and stuff in my garden.

Here's another daffodil.

tn_Beetleinadaffodil-2_zps20b79e1e.jpg

thanks Guy and holmes. it's funny that I posted my daffodil shot on one of the photography forums I frequent. there was nothing but comments on how the composition isn't quite right, and that the yellow of the flower is too distracting from the rest of the photo. I just like to look at it.

Tdogg, the last 3 night shots are great.

I spent friday afternoon in Victoria. some of the architecture is really fantastic. what really stood out is the Bard and Banker pub, the most beautiful pub I have ever been in.

DSC_8595-XL.jpg

DSC_8608-XL.jpg

DSC_8611-X2.jpg

DSC_8613-X2.jpg

DSC_8617-X2.jpg

Edited by dylan

Dylan,

I found the photos of the building very interesting.

I quite like the baroque style of the former Bank, the BARD & BANKER. I forget the name of the Bard who worked in the bank when it was a bank in the 1800's ..and thus it was named after him,the BARD..

the VAULT is where he used to write his poetry ..

Have you noticed banks are always grand structures...

MY sister studied art, and art history as part of her architect course and that bank was one that she studied for its uniqueness.

The architecture of Canadian buildings always remind ME of Victorian grand designs..

STUNNING photos.....thank you.

:yahoo:

Edited by HOLMES

Went on a photo shoot with some fellow meetup members to a local junk yard near Charlotte. And it really was a "junk" yard - a few old cars, but lots of old tools, equipment, and just general "stuff". I have a friend on a photo forum who gets extreme with rust and has been encouraging me to experiment a little. I haven't quite become a rust junky just yet, but I'm working on it...

1 - Old IH panel truck

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_012-XL.jpg

2 - Clipper coupe - Clipper was a Packard model in the early 1950s, and was sold as a separate car line in 1955-56.

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_015-XL.jpg

3 - This chrome trim has seen better days.

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_010-XL.jpg

4 - The rest of the Cadillac

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_022-XL.jpg

5 - Creepiest Coca Cola ad ever!

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_002-XL.jpg

6 - Grab a gear!

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_007-XL.jpg

7 - Rusty old fence

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_017-XL.jpg

8 - Just a little rust...

JM_2013_04_26_Red_Cross_Junk_Yard_018-XL.jpg

Neat shots guys.

TDogg, what sort of aperture and exposure times are you using on the night shots? Are these straight off the camera or do you use software to crop the images?

8sec. F10 I believe was the settings I used but they are touched up in photoshop.

Moose love the junkyard shots and that creepy coke ad is wicked awesome!!!(and creepy too lol)

Thanks for the info tdogg.

What's the title of the lake shot The Rat......Serenity?

Neat tourist images

Moose, great junktard phoos. I'm fascinated by dillapidation so those are right up my alley.

Cool stuff guys, thanks for sharing.

Moose,

Fascinating colors as the metal changes its hues due to such interesting rusty colors..with different stages of rust the photographs are

Absolutely AMAZING.... They would make great diorama subjects. The Cadillac has had it's day and what a gorgeous car it was on its heyday.

The pinkness of rust in shot #8 is quite ethereal ..

Moose as always, exquisite sharp photographs ..and what a lovely change from pristine aircrafts...nature at its best.. :wub: :worship: :worship:

.....and tdogg and The Rat . Nice serene photos ..

The moon shot is beautifully sharp... :jaw-dropping:

Thanks as always Holmes, I prefer to get the moon when it's not full as you get some great shadows in the craters and brings a lot of the detail out.

I know what you mean..

I have bern watching what appears to be a full moon these past few nights but the edges area tad broken ..it's looks amazing... And when a huge airliner passes it it looks quite exquisite and unreal..

Keep on posting the photos tdogg. :jaw-dropping:

Edited by HOLMES

One of the first pictures I took with the Fuji Finepix. Just after sunrise down at the lake a few minutes from the house. I can't look at it without remembering the opening line from King Crimson's 'In the Court of the Crimson King': "The rusted chains of prison moons are shattered by the Sun..."

26567_418165618131_4210987_n.jpg