Other photography besides aviation

WOW ANIMAL!!! Your son has some real talent there!!! He's not even 9 yet!!! That truly is something to be proud of!!! Hell I'm proud of him and I don't even know him!! Amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time photographing my son's School District Track Meet today.

06-03-2013_SUTM_approachingthefinishline_wm.jpg

06-03-2013_SUTM_sheeragony_wm.jpg

Going after the faces...the expressions of agony...and competitive exertion.

For more shots take a look at my blog entry on this meet:

http://maniacwcamera.blogspot.ca/2013/06/surrey-school-district-track-meet-june.html

some hummingbirds at my dads place

Yowzers! Stonkingly good captures Dylan. That first image of your second batch is the money shot for me. :worship:

So much is right about it. The composition, the blurred wings the colours.....just wow!

Actually, whether by accident or design, I think the shallow depth of field really words on this image. All of the focus is on the beauty of the bird's head.

Can you share a few things on how you got the shot please? I'm guessing that your Dad has a humming-bird feeder but did you use a long lens or remote shutter release? What sort of shutter speed did you use and was this just natural light?

A remarkable image, thanks for sharing.

Another question Dylan....do you sell your work? I'm sure that some of the photos that you've shared here are marketable.

Cheers.

thanks Guy

most of my photography is a little bit of design and most a happy accident. all helped by a wonderful program called Lightroom4. it helps me correct a multitude of sins (and create some more) and makes my pictures look like I have a clue what I am doing.

I have a Picture of my camera setup that I will add later tonite

anywhere in southern B.C. has thousands of hummingbirds, so getting a shot of one is not too much of a challenge. but getting a good closeup requires a bit more work.

there are 4 feeders on my Dads deck, I took all but the one down, and moved it to get better light. the birds did NOT like that, and it took a while before they came back.

I am using a N!kon D7000 with a 70-200 2.8 VRII lens at 200mm. the autofocus on the D7000 is a little slow for hummingbirds so I had to compensate by manually focusing on the feeder then setting my focus point where the bird will be when feeding. the autofocus was set on AF-C and 3D, which allows the camera to follow the bird as it hovers around in the frame.

for exposure I use Aperture priority mode, I try to stop down to about f3.5 or 5.6 for some depth of field. but for hummers you really need a high shutter speed. I think this one was shot wide open at 2.8 and a shutter speed of 1/125 sec. ISO 100. I always use a remote shutter release for these kind of shots. using the button on the camera will shake too much.

I had to bump the ISO on the other shots to 500 to get the shutter speed I wanted, there is a little noise but I can live with it.

as for selling my work....

I am not too sure that I really want that. If I am offered I would most likely sell some of my images. but I am not going to market them. it would take all the fun out of it.

its funny, I posted these on one of the photography sites that I visit regularly, and they were picked apart as being too blurry, too noisy and over cropped.

I dont think I am quite there yet.

thanks again for the compliments.

cheers

Dylan

Edited by dylan

Hi Dylan, I'm grateful for the thorough explanation of your technique, thankyou. I'm surprised that the shutter speed is as slow as 1/125th as I'd imagined you'd have to go higher. IMHO it's just about right. Anything higher and you'd stop the wings giving a very un-natural feel to the image. (like a prop aircraft in flight with the prop stopped).

thanks Guy

.......... a wonderful program called Lightroom4.

That's interesting. I've heard good things about Lightroom before so I might look into getting a copy. I was astonished by the ease at which PS Elements 5 helped me correct my photos. I gather Lightroom is even better?

its funny, I posted these on one of the photography sites that I visit regularly, and they were picked apart as being too blurry, too noisy and over cropped.

That's harsh. We can count individual feathers on those images so they look pretty sharp to me. Over cropped? I wonder what was meant by that? Does that particular individual prefer more of a border I wonder....? Personally, I like to see the subject nice and close. As for the noise, that's what happens when the ISO is pushed up so there's little to be done to counter that I guess unless artificial light is used?

Oh well, I'm no photographer but I do like your piccies so I hope that counts for something buddy.

cheers

Dylan

Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm loving the close-up stuff in my garden at the moment but this month's Photography magazine just landed on my doormat with an article all about macro and it just goes to show how far I'd have to go. Still, like you, I'm enjoying the hobby for what it is.

Oh yes, apologies for not responding to your previous question regarding the lens I'm using. I just went back to view some past images and spotted it. I'm borrowing the C.anon EF-S 60mm, f2.8 from my cousin.

Cheers.

Edit:

Here are a few shots from around the garden.

First up, a chive. This herb has set itself in my patio. The flower head evolves from this tightly bound bud...

tn_Chives_zpscf944f99.jpg

to this pom-pom of petals....

tn_Chiveflower4_zps42bf5176.jpg

(The flower head is about 3/4inch across)

I tried a little greyscale on this dandelion clock...

tn_Dandelionclock_zpsc12a3d2b.jpg

This blue flower spike is very delicate. (Sorry, don't know what plant it is)

tn_Floraandfauna212_zps8e3ffc58.jpg

Lastly and following my recent theme of water droplets, two studies of the same water-lily pad bespeckled by the fountain in our garden pond.

tn_Waterlilypad10_zps4aba2424.jpg

tn_Waterlilypad16_zps3fe45f10.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

thanks again for the compliments.

cheers

Dylan

Please tell me the site isn't photos.net. They're renowned for being picky as hell. And some of them have serious ego problems. Your photos look JUST FINE to me. If you're ever worried about the noise, run it through Neatimage - it's a great little noise-reduction freeware works wonders. The simple fact that the wings were blurred. Hell that demonstrates the action in the photo. Well...not ALL of us have the money to pick up a 500mm or 600mm f/4 prime. They keep yammering about "oh...it's not the equipment, but the technique." Yeah. go after a grizzly bear with a 50mm f/1.8 and see what happens. Oh yeah, that's right, someone did...and got his *** roundly eaten. Hell, Dylan, I think it's just photographer envy most of the time. Most of them couldn't probably do what you did with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII and they probably can't remember what it was like to not have the $$$ to buy the gear that they now own and have to do with whatever they had at the time. Hell, the only reason I'm able to afford the 600mm f/4 D ED-IF is because I decided to do without the VR and saved my @** off. The ones who put the gear on their "credit card" don't know what it's like to "sacrifice". Your hummingbird shots are great, Dylan, and don't let those "dour dumpers" tell you different.

http://500px.com/photo/12530351 <--- They didn't like the crop on this one. Well... y'know what. It's my style of photography. Not everyone is going to like it. The only thing that's important to me, is whether or not I'm satisfied with the result.

Edited by The_Animal

I double checked the info on the male hummer shot. F3.5 1/200 of a sec ISO 100

Guy here is a shot of my setup. basically the place with the best sunlight on it.

and that first shot of the lilypad is magic

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

Hugo, I try not to take much of what the "artistes" say too seriously. or myself for that matter. a good photograph is appealing to the eye regardless of the "rules". much like posting shots of your models on ARC you are subject to critiques from everyone. some people are just a little more constructive than others.

there seems to be many people out there with art degrees that love to pick apart other peoples photographs. when I see positive comments from the really talented modelers/Photographers out there, I know that I have done a good job.

and there's nothing wrong with that Gull photo.

cheers

dylan

Dylan to be honest I think some people critique just to hear themselves talk lol. Personally I love all your photos and I myself have learned from you so keep doing what you do!

Joe those shots are amazing!! are they all from Gettysburg? I'd like to go there someday, it looks beautiful.

Just curious to know what does that memorial commemorate.

Which one Holmes?

The one in the shape of a Minnie ball is for the 7th New Jersey Infantry regiment. That is the Trostle farm in the background. This was taken near the Peach Orchard.

The monument of individual with the binoculars is General Gouverner Warren, who was the Chief Engineer of the Union Army. The statue is located on the crest of Little Round Top, commemorating the fact that he noticed the vulnerability of that location, which was originally occupied by just a Union signal station. He reinforced it in time to stem a Confederate assault against the Union left flank in that area on the afternoon of July 2nd.

Thanks all, very much appreciated. Gettysburg is an amaozing place to visit, and I have been out there all alone at dawn taking photos. It is very eerie then.

Tdogg, yes all from Gettysburg.

Edited by volzj

It's official. Will be going down to talk to my "eagle-photographing" friend and discussing the purchase (via payment plan) of his AF-S 600mm f/4 D ED-IF II on Wednesday, June 12, 2013, as he has purchased the newest 800mm f/5.6 FL G ED-IF VR, so he is selling the 600mm f/4.

af-s-nikkor-600mm-f4d-if-ed-ii.jpg

The past 5 years of photography has all culminated in the purchase of this lens. If this lens goes through it will also give me enough finances left over from my original equipment acquisition plan (which was originally to just purchase a 600mm VR (the newest model)) to purchase a 300mm f/2.8 VRII (which I will utilize for birds in flight).

I have a mated pair of bald eagles in Green Timbers Park (the park closest to my residence) that I have been itching to photograph. The results that I have obtained with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII+TC-20EIII have been subpar at best. I tend to call them "my bald eagles", as considering how close they are to my home, they are within easy commute. Of course, the Green Timbers Park Association would have something to say about that.

9139_10151657803990295_1790185799_n.jpg

I'm looking forward to better images in the future with utilizing 600mm+ range (with the addition of the TC-14 (mark 1 1.4x teleconverter - manual focus).

Edited by The_Animal

thats a great deal!! VR on something that long is probably not really required anyway. most people are just going to be using a tripod.

what kind of tripod are you using for that beast anyway? you are going to need a team of people just to carry all that glass around

I know what you mean about the TC2.0 not being a stellar performer. I was hoping your D300's autofocus would do a better job than my D7000. I have the TC 1.4 and it doesnt suck the IQ down too much.

my gear acquisition goals are modest compared to yours. hopefully by the end of June I will be picking up a D800 and the 300 f4. the autofocus on the D800 is much better than the D7000 and the buffer is much larger for those landing shots I like to get.

cheers

Dylan

Like I said before, the invitation is open to get together and go shoot at Reifel. I'll be probably getting a Gitzo Systematic GT5542LS & Jobu BWG-Pro2 gimbal head in January 2014. So what I may do is end up draping a beanbag chair over my daughter's stroller for the time being.

For me, shooting big aluminum birds with loud engines is fine (with regards to the TC-20EIII), but trying to go after birds of the feathered kind is a different story. Oh, well, I guess, I live and learn.

Going down today to talk with my friend on the payment plan with regards to the purchase of his (soon to be 'my') 600mm f/4 D ED-IF II. :woot.gif:

Still pinching myself that it's all coming true. :blink: :woo:

Edited by The_Animal