Other photography besides aviation

took my new equipment for a short trip...

click on the photo for more photos

0101.jpg

Sebastijan,

GORGEOUS photos..I especially LOVE the Castle and mountain shots..

Beautiful sight to behold.. Takes away the pain when I look at that... :wub:

Thank you very much.

Moose and Sebastijan, very, very nice work.

How do you like the 5dIII Moose? I'm really considering moving to full-frame, now that my kids are done sports and I don't need the crop reach.

It's a beast, Joe, and I say that lovingly! I've had it just less than two weeks, and haven't figured out half of the functions, but I really like it. Built like a tank, first rate image quality, impressive high ISO ability - just for fun, I took some shots at 12800, and yes, they were noisy, but for a "gotta get regardless" shot, it wasn't bad. I got the 24-105mm f/4 L lens with it, and they make a great combination. If you go that way, check out the Canon Loyalty Program for some big savings.

The NHRA is in Charlotte this weekend, and I took Friday off and spent the day at the drag strip.

Pro Stock driver Vincent Nobile is making a name for himself in the series. At age 22, he has 8 event wins in three full time seasons. Like me, he's a Long Island native, and I used to work with his aunt when I was at Newsday. I had a chance to talk with Vincent and his father (a veteran Pro Stock driver himself, that's him near the left front wheel) between qualifying rounds. Really nice people.

JM_2014_04_11_Nobile_007-XL.jpg

One of the unique things about NHRA at Charlotte is the 4-wide format. This is the only event on the tour running dragsters four-wide - even the fall Charlotte round is normal two wide racing. For Sunday eliminations, the first two cars across the line advance, until final round winner.

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_009-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_011-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_013-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_Nobile_005-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_040-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_035-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_045-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_003-XL.jpg

JM_2014_04_11_NHRA_Charlotte_016-XL.jpg

It's a beast, Joe, and I say that lovingly! I've had it just less than two weeks, and haven't figured out half of the functions, but I really like it. Built like a tank, first rate image quality, impressive high ISO ability - just for fun, I took some shots at 12800, and yes, they were noisy, but for a "gotta get regardless" shot, it wasn't bad. I got the 24-105mm f/4 L lens with it, and they make a great combination. If you go that way, check out the Canon Loyalty Program for some big savings.

Thanks Moose. I'm so tempted, I've heard nothing but good things. I used the Canon Loyalty program for my 7D, worked great. I also have the 24-105 and find it to be an odd focal length combo on a crop, but it obviously suits full frame perfectly. There's my excuse to get the 5DIII... Wonder if my wife will buy that logic??? :rolleyes:

Moose that Blue Ridge parkway looks like a fantastic drive. I know how you must feel with the 5DIII, I got my D800 just before Xmas and I am still in awe of it.

anyway, I spent the weekend in Tofino B.C. it is an amazing place full of nature and the best surfing in Canada.

this is Long Beach in Pacific Rim national park

DSC_2241-XL.jpg

DSC_2156-XL.jpg

DSC_2146-XL.jpg

DSC_2268-XL.jpg

DSC_2314-XL.jpg

Edited by dylan

we took a rollercoaster boat ride to see some grey whales. not too many pictures turned out, but I got a few keepers.

DSC_2540-XL.jpg

DSC_2736-XL.jpg

at least I wasnt in a zodiac, by the time we were done there was 6 foot swells and the wind had picked up quite a bit. these people came back very wet.

DSC_2705-XL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm back in New York, and today I joined some other members of my Long Island photo group for a visit to the Chuang Yen Monastery, a Buddhist monastery about an hour north of NYC.

JM_2014_06_02_Chuang_Yen_Monastery_001-XL.jpg

JM_2014_06_02_Chuang_Yen_Monastery_007-XL.jpg

JM_2014_06_02_Chuang_Yen_Monastery_019-XL.jpg

JM_2014_06_02_Chuang_Yen_Monastery_008-XL.jpg

JM_2014_06_02_Chuang_Yen_Monastery_009-XL.jpg

JM_2014_06_02_Chuang_Yen_Monastery_016-XL.jpg

Some amazing stuff here, guys. I actually make a large chunk of my living as a photographer, which means I don't get to do as much fun stuff as I'd like with my cameras.

Boring, yes, but you can see some of my stuff here:

http://www.pennracquet.com/tennis.html

I'll post some of the more fun stuff later when I get my laptop set up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my not so good pics.

Somewhere near my resident in Samut Prakan.

IMG_73582-1.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

A boy I met at Vientiane.

IMG_8159.jpg

My friend, an artist, at work in Chiang Mai.

IMG_4203-1.jpg

Edited by Teeradej
  • 2 weeks later...

This past weekend the missus and I spent the weekend at a hostel with a group of friends in Wentworth, NS. It wasn't our first time there and won't be our last. Spent the night in a century home enjoyed the country lifestyle and even put on a little fireworks show! Snapped a few shots, should explain why I absolutely love this place!

IMG_3608_zps0dcb8068.jpg

IMG_3610_zpsaa26c223.jpg

Okay I really love the waterfall lol

IMG_3620_zps3393062d.jpg

IMG_3677_zps151b4d04.jpg

lots of fire flies!!!

IMG_3695_zps80fc36a0.jpg

A few stars too

IMG_3700_zps776d7969.jpg

okay more than a few and some even falling!

IMG_3704_zps4ec5c2a2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Photography is also my other hobby. 99% of what I shoot is done with 1 hour's drive of my home here on Long Island. I shoot mostly flowers, macros of various types, and the occasional scenic.

Here's three pictures that I shot over the last 2 months.

A Butterfly at a local Vivarium:

Butterflies06_23_14_089.jpg

Daisy's

Bayard07_08_14_0087.jpg

Fog rolling in after overnight showers

F-4B06_13_14_053.jpg

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
  • 3 weeks later...