Other photography besides aviation

Wow! There are lots of awesome shots in this thread! :salute:

Here are some of mine.

The ruins of the Desenburg castle near Warburg (maybe known due to the POW camp in the vicinity during WW II).

Desenburg007.jpg

It was a bloody cold day. And very early in the morning. The wind didn't help at all. I kinda like the flash on this one. I didn't want the flash, but in the end, it turned out nise, with the foreground in light and the snowy landscape in the background still in the dark.

Desenburg008.jpg

Another ruin. This time the Bramburg, a mere two miles from my place.

SD531092.jpg

Giant dog defending the castle against intruders! :D

SD531088.jpg

Snowy landscapes make for nice pics.

FrhmorgensBeiSchnee.jpg

The Gerichtseiche (court oak) in the forest near my place. It is about 1400 years old! There are fir trees growing on the oak. AFAIK, in medieval ages, they came to this place to hold courts of law.

SD530693.jpg

Dead trees are also a subject I like taking pics of.

SD531241.jpg

You shouldn't normally see the sun in this pic. There is now a huge clearing because of a storm we had earlier last year.

UntereHansmannStylisch.jpg

Having fun with MS Paint! :wacko:

SD531233.jpg

I got a pic of Sauron, too! :o

ObereHansammGRUSELIG.jpg

Clouds are also nice motifs.

SD531515.jpg

SD530449.jpg

SD530008.jpg

SD530300.jpg

Some "industrial" shots. They are a bit blurry because I didn't have a tripod in those days yet. Still, I like the colours.

SD530054.jpg

SD530011.jpg

SD530013.jpg

SD531561.jpg

SD531560.jpg

Can you tell my favourite era of painting is romanticism? My all-time favourite painter is Caspar David Friedrich. His pictures were mostly of landscapes or of people admiring the landscape. His theme was the grandeur of nature, with people feeling small compared to the largeness of life. In his pics, people are mostly seen with the back to the "painter". There was a strong religious aspect in his paintings.

Here's an example: Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer (Wanderer above the fog sea)

wanderer.jpg

I believe my pictures also carry a bit of that spirit. At least they were taken with that background.

Congrats, g0, I've never done weddings because frankly...I don't want to. They are really high-stress and if the bride's a B**** she can really make life hell for the photographer. They want everything perfect...for their special day...and lord help you if one piece of your crucial equipment takes that day...to go t***-up! Even if you have a back-up body...or whatever...it's still going to put a crimp in your style.

I have done several weddings, from simple gatherings to big formal affairs. And they totally wear you out! I did have one not go very well and it was hell on wheels! I made some money doing it, but it was not worth it in the end.

I have leaned out of aircraft, in flight, to take photographs. I would do it again tomorrow.

I have used many rolls of film on alligators, probably my favourite subject. I could spend the rest of my life working with them.

After the fear of doing two weddings and being constantly worried that something might go wrong (fortunately nothing did), I have solemnly resolved never to do one again.

After the fear of doing two weddings and being constantly worried that something might go wrong (fortunately nothing did), I have solemnly resolved never to do one again.

I have never down weddings and probably never will for exactly this reasons. The constant fear of doing something wrong would kill me. Furthermore I mostly stay away from taking shots of people; i just dont have the eye for any god shots or postures.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee315/j...mview=slideshow

Keep in mind I am an amateur, and all I have is a Canon Rebel EOS DSLR, nothing terribly fancy and just the basic lense that came with the camera.......

I need a tripod next I think.

No need to apologize for your equipment Jason, you're shots look very nice.

My cameras never went out and captured anything on their own, it's the person behind it and their vision.

Nice to see so many others here interested in photography. I've always had an interest in photography, and for my 21st birthday last year I received a Pentax K100D which has really helped things along.

Apart from photographing aircraft and my models I like to take photos of the local wilidlife...

IMGP5307.jpg

IMGP0785.jpg

IMGP0407.jpg

As well as my cat :thumbsup:

IMGP3663.jpg

IMGP2462.jpg

Just found a few old manual lenses going for cheap on ebay to play with, can't wait till they get here.

Chris

• 6 months later...

Not sure how I missed this thread. :monkeydance: I like shooting anything and everything...link to my personal website is in my signature. Recently shot these of my godson...he's 9 months old now. :)

One of the first shots with my new 40D...he was squirming so getting his eyes and face in focus with everything else blurred was kind of a neat effect...

IMG_0012m_7web.jpg

Reaching for the camera...

IMG_0272m_7web.jpg

IMG_0302m_7web.jpg

First teeth...

IMG_0343m_7web.jpg

Next couple were shot looking up at him as he peeked over the edge of the bed...kind of have the "shining a flashlight on your face while telling a scary story at camp in the dark" look...

IMG_0277m_7web.jpg

IMG_0278m_7web.jpg

When mommy caught him going for the wine rack..."who...ME?????"

IMG_0377m_7web.jpg

Looks like I may be doing a couple of weddings for $$$ pretty soon. Petrified as hell...but got myself a decent flash (SB-600) and hopefully things will work out.

So did you get laid off from the drug store?

They are really high-stress and if the bride's a B**** she can really make life hell for the photographer. They want everything perfect...for their special day...and lord help you if one piece of your crucial equipment takes that day...to go t***-up! Even if you have a back-up body...or whatever...it's still going to put a crimp in your style.

Well, not really on both counts. First off, in twenty years of weddings, I've never had a bad bride at the wedding. I've had demanding brides before the wedding, and I've had cheap brides after the wedding. But without exception, every bride has been focused on making it a perfect day - they've been dreaming about it all their lives.

As for gear - if someone passes themself off as a "pro" photographer, they better show up with a complete set of gear - and "complete" means "redundant." Minimum dual bodies (I carry a D3, D300 and F100), multiple lenses, and at least two flashes. This is a single day in the couple's life and gear can not be an excuse to provide less than the best product.

Budget is a different matter - if a couple figures spending more on the cake than the photographer is a good idea, they'll likely get what they pay for! :monkeydance:

I think anyone who wants to make money of any sort form photography should try weddings once. Teaches you alot!

I couldn't agree more. It teaches you to think on your feet, work in any condition, and be humble (it is, after all, a service).

Wedding photography is photojournalism, portraiture, action, macro, natural/artificial lighting all wrapped up in a single, day-long shoot. Before jumping into a wedding, excel at all those (piece of cake!). Then carry a complete set of redundant gear. With skills and gear taken care of, you can handle almost any situation the couple, the weather, or your gear throw at you.

I got out of it for two reasons: first, digital took the "photography" out of "wedding photography." With film I dropped several rolls at the pro print shop, waited a couple days, got the images back, put them in a proof album, and waited for the orders. Now with digital, the good pro shops are disappearing, printing prices for pro work are increasing, and I'm stuck spending hours (days for a big wedding) editing pictures. I got into this to get away from the computer, not spend hours in front of it.

The second scourge of wedding photography is people's declining income, combined with declining expectations. Nowadays people just don't have the disposable income to throw at a photographer (although they still seem to have money for open bars, $1,000 cakes and 300-person receptions). Compounding that problem is the plethora of people with a spanky new dSLR who call themselves pro and charge $300 to $500 for a shoot. Explaining to people why I don't shoot a wedding for $500 got really tiring! Wedding photography really does support the adage: ya gets what ya pays for.

These days I entertain myself by shooting stuff I love, such as aviation, weather, landscapes and other fun stuff...

lightning.jpg

4244.jpg

B

• 7 months later...