Other photography besides aviation

Wow, I never saw this thread before, there are some great pics in here.

As for stuff other than aircraft I shoot, I do fire apparatus, fires, wildlife, scenery and pretty much anything else that catches my eye.

EPMarket2.jpg

WawonaNW5.jpg

e12idaho.jpg

bear.jpg

bobcat.jpg

Pelicans2.jpg

page1.jpg

elcaphalf2.jpg

moon.jpg

When I'm not out shooting aircraft, I like to take a variety of subjects.

Sports:

287865163_Q6cd2-L-1.jpg

138363135_K8hoT-L-1.jpg

287864736_q9sox-L-1.jpg

The sights around Long Island and NYC:

287857400_t96Ew-L-1.jpg

280196230_djjEf-L-1.jpg

287860794_8pHqa-L-1.jpg

And the typical vacation photos :lol:

287865529_mjFNp-L-1.jpg

85860791_P9QRQ-L-1.jpg

And I'm working on photographing my car in every state I drive through.

287852934_uigJi-L-3.jpg

Well, not really on both counts. First off, in twenty years of weddings, I've never had a bad bride at the wedding. I've had demanding brides before the wedding, and I've had cheap brides after the wedding. But without exception, every bride has been focused on making it a perfect day - they've been dreaming about it all their lives.

As for gear - if someone passes themself off as a "pro" photographer, they better show up with a complete set of gear - and "complete" means "redundant." Minimum dual bodies (I carry a D3, D300 and F100), multiple lenses, and at least two flashes. This is a single day in the couple's life and gear can not be an excuse to provide less than the best product.

Budget is a different matter - if a couple figures spending more on the cake than the photographer is a good idea, they'll likely get what they pay for! ;)

I couldn't agree more. It teaches you to think on your feet, work in any condition, and be humble (it is, after all, a service).

Wedding photography is photojournalism, portraiture, action, macro, natural/artificial lighting all wrapped up in a single, day-long shoot. Before jumping into a wedding, excel at all those (piece of cake!). Then carry a complete set of redundant gear. With skills and gear taken care of, you can handle almost any situation the couple, the weather, or your gear throw at you.

I got out of it for two reasons: first, digital took the "photography" out of "wedding photography." With film I dropped several rolls at the pro print shop, waited a couple days, got the images back, put them in a proof album, and waited for the orders. Now with digital, the good pro shops are disappearing, printing prices for pro work are increasing, and I'm stuck spending hours (days for a big wedding) editing pictures. I got into this to get away from the computer, not spend hours in front of it.

The second scourge of wedding photography is people's declining income, combined with declining expectations. Nowadays people just don't have the disposable income to throw at a photographer (although they still seem to have money for open bars, $1,000 cakes and 300-person receptions). Compounding that problem is the plethora of people with a spanky new dSLR who call themselves pro and charge $300 to $500 for a shoot. Explaining to people why I don't shoot a wedding for $500 got really tiring! Wedding photography really does support the adage: ya gets what ya pays for.

These days I entertain myself by shooting stuff I love, such as aviation, weather, landscapes and other fun stuff...

[b

I did weddings in the 80's and did get the bride from hell a few times....and her mother :lol:

I saw the writing on the wall with auto-focus 35MM, glad I got out with my head :D

Nothing in the puter from my film days (need a neg scanner) and just bought a DSLR (Nikon D200) end of the year and still have'nt done much more than set it up to be a digital Nikon F-3 :D. Plan on shooting candids if the frigging weather ever warms up....

• 1 month later...

I got up today at 05:45....on my own free will,'cos I had the carzy idea, hey morning, sunrise, maybe some animals around (even saw to roe deer, but to far away), taking some photos.....

I decided to go at around 10 to got to bed, 15 minutes later my fire dept pager started... so working to 11, I drove by bike to the Fire Dept Station, and so I was awake....and didn't found any sleep, at 00:30 sirenes howled in the city nearby, well after that I probably fall asleep....

Sunrise

img5310j.jpg

img5334w.jpg

Second biggest church in Wesphalia

img5355m.jpg

panorama

img5357e.jpg

img5358g.jpg

img5370v.jpg

img5380q.jpg

img5384h.jpg

pond

img5411f.jpg

meadow

img5421n.jpg

those aren't the best pics of the whole wide world, but ..... and yes.... C'est ca.

Edited by Medevac71
My wife and I started a photography and graphic design firm about five years ago doing all sorts of different things, magazines, travel guides, postcards and a lot of stock photography. over the past couple years we have found ourselves specializing in aerial photography which combines my two passions. Generaly flying low and slow taking images of some neat stuff.

Santa Cruz, Ca. the place I call home.aer_Steamers1.jpg

An abstract of Red Tide shot during a project for a University of California marine biology research project.

The Sierra Nevada's, Mount Whitney. on my way to Death Valley. I shot this image as a background for photoshoping an image of one of my models into it.

Death Valley abstract. Another University of California project.

Another one of my passions. If I'm not flying or taking pictures, you can find me in the water.

Sunset over the redwoods of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Pigeon Pt lighthouse.

I better stop now, I could go on all day.

Thanks for sharing you images gang. There is some very nice work on display here.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Absolutely gorgeous images! You are so lucky to have (a) access to aircraft to get some of those aerial shots, and (:salute: a geographical jackpot - there are so many interesting landscapes near where you live.

ALF

Last two are wicked awesome Tony!!!!!!

what lenses?camera?

Cheers mate

PS:waiting for my 70-300 then it will be wildlife for me as well!!!!!

Hi Jack

Just got a Sony CX 200. The lense I was using was the 70 - 300 with the glare cover on it.Real happy with the shots I've been getting. Figure these birds will give me practice for airshow season :salute: It was very windy so they were darting all over the place,was hard to nail them down,but once in awhile they would get some hang time or slow a little and that's when I took the shot

Thanks for the kind words

Cheers

Tony

alone.jpg

flight2.jpg

dsc00600.jpg

Cool....I can imagine it was hard...when they fly fast and with windy condition there's kinda a mess around LOL...

cant really wait for my new shiny lens to arrive and try out something like you did....now that you told me you used a 70-300 I can't wait even more!!!!!!

Cheers Tony

:salute:

Finally it has arrived mates!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have a nice equipment for almost everything - of course for an amateur!

Here's a family shot!

PS:sorry made with the good ol compact digital camera....another nikon (coolpix P1) :P

DSCN3923.jpg

Now the fun begins Jack :P and I want to see some good pics! Nice set-up,looks just like mine :D

Cheers

Tony

As soon as I have time and a nice collection of min 4 or 5 great pics don't worry, I'll post them...

Cheers dude!!!

There's some great shots in this thread guy's!! :P

Here's a couple of shots I took for fun in Vegas, using my new tri-pod and remote shutter cable. :D

VegasE.jpg

Vegas2E.jpg

Cheers,

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler
Now the fun begins Jack :salute: and I want to see some good pics! Nice set-up,looks just like mine :D

Cheers

Tony

Hey Tony, and ARC mates....as promised I've find some time to shot some good pics and try out my new "toy"....I went for a walk in a place 10 mins away form my house and shoot these....hope you'll like them:

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

Cheers

There's some great shots in this thread guy's!! :salute:

Here's a couple of shots I took for fun in Vegas, using my new tri-pod and remote shutter cable. :D

Cheers,

Jeff.

Hey Jeff...these are AWESOME pics!!!!!

I would love to do the same...I really love them!

Congrats mate.

BTW, what's your set up???

Cheers

From Wakko's to Jack Swiss's et al ...the thread gets better each timne I come back and see MORE AMAZING SHOTS

Tony H , I like yours too.... :salute::salute:

As I said before ALL ARE STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL....

Edited by HOLMES
Hey Jeff...these are AWESOME pics!!!!!

I would love to do the same...I really love them!

Congrats mate.

BTW, what's your set up???

Cheers

Thanks Jack. :thumbsup:

I'm using a Canon 40D, and on these shots I was just using the stock standard 18-55mm lens that came with my 400D.I have an "L series 100-400mm" Lens for Aviation and other Photography, and I want to try and get a good quality Lens for more General Photography as well, for shots such as these, but I just haven't got around to it yet.On these ones, I used the Tripod to keep it steady for the long exposure's using the Remote Shutter Cable, they are really fun to do and see what kind of effects you can get, and it it a great way to take pics at night.

I have some more on another Memory Card that my friend has at the moment, putting them onto disc for me, I'll post a couple more when I get it back off of her.

Your shots with your new Lens look great Jack, and it looks like a very nice town you live in.You'll have a great time with it, this hobby is excellent, your learning all the time, well I know I am, I think! :D

Cheers,

Jeff.

I just like to have fun taking pictures of what ever presents itself.

sunsettrainbanner.jpg

That is a nice shot Gerald!

Cheers,

Jeff.

I like shooting pics of the park in downtown Huntsville. It's a beautiful place and looks really neat in the spring and fall.

Shot these just for fun a couple weeks ago.

Nice shots Brian!

Cheers,

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler