Other photography besides aviation

I was in Seattle this past week on a business trip, and had the opportunity to do some shooting while I was in town. A friend who lives in Seattle took me to a few prime spots, and I had the chance to go up on the Space Needle.

JM_2014_09_07_Seattle_001-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_07_Seattle_002-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_07_Seattle_003-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_07_Seattle_004-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_07_Seattle_006-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_10_Seattle_Space_Needle_002-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_10_Seattle_Space_Needle_007-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_10_Seattle_Space_Needle_005-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_10_Seattle_006-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_10_Seattle_013-XL.jpg

Hello guys,

I'm in with some shots from my 3rd Kamchatka trip, this August.

I hope you'll like them.

51947-5a874-80907106--u1e267.jpg

This is Koryaksky Volcano, seen from the Avacha Volcano.

51947-e33d5-80907139--u3dbd1.jpg

This is a view on the Avacha lava cork.

51947-ac75d-80907113--u1d2b6.jpg

This is a view on the Koryaksky Volcano from the Avacha top.

And some more, just for fun. :)/>

51947-69a0d-80907231--u0fbf4.jpg

51947-0ceb4-80907239-m750x740-u22e11.jpg

51947-0f207-80907298--u48575.jpg

51947-d31b0-80907235--uafa08.jpg

Cheers and happy photography!

Alexander

Beautiful images, Alexander!

I've been trying to do this for a little while now, but clouds have foiled most of my attempts so far. I was out to the Great Smoky Mountains over the weekend, and finally got clear skies (at least for a few hours) on Saturday night. These were taken at Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the Smokies.

It's probably a shooting star, but there's a chance it's a UFO...

JM_2014_09_20_Clingmans_Dome_Stars_002-XL.jpg

The Milky Way:

JM_2014_09_20_Clingmans_Dome_Stars_005-XL.jpg

JM_2014_09_20_Clingmans_Dome_Stars_007-XL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Made it back to DC for the first time in about 7 years, and bought my daughter along for her first trip there. DC is a second home to me, having spent a good bit of time there as a kid/teenager.

There are approx. 2,400 faces etched into the granite wall that is part of the Korean War Veterans National Memorial, and one dog.

AEjr4M.jpg

Also visited the US Capitol Building. In the visitors Center lobby is a full size replica of the Statue of Freedom that is on top of the dome:

biyhDd.jpg

A few shots taken on our recent European vacation; three nights in London and 15 days on the Danube, Main and Rhine.

Bomber Command Memorial in London

DSC_0043_zps2f294deb.jpg

Ceramic poppies on metal stems inside the Tower of London

DSC_0302_zps1d70b3fc.jpg

Twelve Victoria Crosses

DSC_0263_zps6bcd90a2.jpg

Hungarian parliament buildings at night

DSC_0310_zpsd0a1a946.jpg

The ceiling of the chapel in the Benedictine Abbey in Melk

DSC_0583_zps330fa2bd.jpg

The Monde See outside Salzburg

DSC_0613_zpsd72a7ccc.jpg

The Zeppelin Field where the Nuremburg Rallies were held

DSC_0708_zps17fcd122.jpg

The unused due to unsafe for habitation conditions of the old Bishop's residence in Bamberg

DSC_0834_zps2ae6779f.jpg

I'm in Wilmington, NC for the weekend, and went hunting lightning tonight as some storms rolled through. These were taken at Wrightsville Beach looking back towards Wilmington.

JM_2014_06_20_Wrightsville_Beach_001-XL.jpg

JM_2014_06_20_Wrightsville_Beach_002-XL.jpg

How do you do that!!!!!

Here in the past few days there have been some great lightning storms but I cant ever seem to capture lightning strikes.

What photo camera and settings do you have to capture lightning like that?

Finally cooling off enough over here in the sandbox to start doing more outdoor activities, so I visited the Al Ain Wildlife Park & Resort, Al Ain, UAE.

tIku7V.jpg

Bright red object is a frozen meat pop..

ajf4u4.jpg

UojtdI.jpg

I'll admit to it, Meerkat Manor is one of my favorite shows on animal planet.

yaTetG.jpg

GSqJKs.jpg

ymKOyW.jpg

I have always had an interest in locomotives and railroading. It's a toss up as to which hobby I enjoy more, aircraft modeling or railroad modeling. I am no photographer by any means, but I enjoy railfanning with my Son.

We fairly recently caught a Norfolk Southern ES40DC with a coal drag on a fall morning:

1412970279.jpg

Then we had a rather rare find in our neck of the woods, a Union Pacific SD70M a long way from home:

1412963097.jpg

The UP was parked on the farside of the yard so I needed to zoom way in and lost a truckload of clairity. Couple that with a foggy day and I am pleased with what I achieved.

Cheers!

I have always had an interest in locomotives and railroading. It's a toss up as to which hobby I enjoy more, aircraft modeling or railroad modeling.

Ditto for me. I'm old enough to have seen in person the tri-color Chessie System engines, and its been my rail line of choice in HO scale.

One of the newer museums in the DC area is the Newseum. As the name would imply, its a journalistic museum, covering print to modern day, with exhibits that cover milestones in journalism.

Actual sections of the Berlin Wall.

sW38gi.jpg

Part of an antenna assembly from 1 WTC (North Tower)

IwwzKL.jpg

The FBI recreation of the shack in the woods used by the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski.

IDKdqi.jpg

Ditto for me. I'm old enough to have seen in person the tri-color Chessie System engines, and its been my rail line of choice in HO scale.

I model in N scale. I have a 4'X8' permanent layout that I have been building and adding structures to, landscaping, laying roadways, building and painting cars, trucks, adding ballast etc etc for over 4 years now. I also hold occasional operating sessions for the various industries with fellow model railroaders. It's a labor of love. I am just completing my water scene having used Mod Podge and Minwax clear gloss acrylic. Its modeled after Northern Ontario as I love Canadian Pacific and Ontario Northland Railways. But I made sure to keep it somewhat generic as I also love operating Conrail, Norflolk Southern, and Pennsylvania E8 passenger locomotives/cars. Come to think of it...I could add a tri color Chessie System GP to my Conrail consist...a thought :woot.gif: !

Cheers!

Thats some bokeh, but why a 35mm instead of a 50mm?

He didn't mention what camera body he has but if it has a small sensor (e.g. APS-C) then a 35mm lens is equivalent to ~55mm

Edited by habu2

Thats some bokeh, but why a 35mm instead of a 50mm?

I already have a 50mm, so therefore I needed a fast 35. thats the story i told SWMBO anyway.

Habu2, I use a D800 which is a full frame camera.

Edited by dylan

I already have a 50mm, so therefore I needed a fast 35. thats the story i told SWMBO anyway.

Gotcha D. You married guys always make me laugh with your compromises and all... : )

A few more shots from my DC trip:

The Court of Neptune Fountain in front of the Library of Congress

4QzSXb.jpg

There are several statues inside the lobby of the US Capitol Visitors Center:

2tNcN8.jpg

Of course, the dome was undergoing renovation...

yAuoNC.jpg

Didn't have a whole lot of time in the Rotunda, and just barely managed to find the "Birth of Aviation" portion of the American History Friez:

PvMNot.jpg

MLK Memorial and the inscription on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where the "I Have A Dream" speech was delivered:

fovBSb.jpg

twrYjF.jpg

One of the now iconic pandas at the National Zoo. I was at max zoom of 300mm to get the outside shot. I was smiling on the inside at all those folks taking the same shot with their phones and tablets. The other shot was taken inside, on the other side of the stone wall, through thick, dirty glass, as you would expect for this kind of display:

t33qlJ.jpg

0jeIj2.jpg

How do you do that!!!!!

Here in the past few days there have been some great lightning storms but I cant ever seem to capture lightning strikes.

What photo camera and settings do you have to capture lightning like that?

It's a little bit of technique, and a little bit of luck...I've only tried this a couple of times, first time I got some really neat stuff, this time I got a few decent shots. For this one, I was set up on a tripod, ISO 100, f/7.1, shooting 30 second shots. I was shooting with a Canon 5D Mark III, but any decent DSLR should give you good results. I pointed at the most active area of the storm, and just took a series of shots, hoping I would get some good lightning strikes.

I shot these a few years ago back on Long Island. The storm was over the Connecticut coast, and I was shooting across Long Island Sound. I was using a Canon 40D at the time.

i-tHBq5Pw-XL.jpg

i-RL3Wd3f-XL.jpg

Spot the airplane...

i-vVpJTDD-XL.jpg

Upper left hand corner : )

I've read a paragraph or two about lightning triggers, and how they could also be used when shooting fireworks, but never looked further than that. I just did a quick price recce, and they are about the same price as a current 1/48th kit. Opportunities to use it, that's another story...