Other photography besides aviation

Initially, I was kind of disappointed when I found out my seat assignment (you don't get to choose), but it turned out to be great location to photograph a lot of the people of F1. Catching decent action shots of the cars, not so much. First world problems, I know...

Not a care...

h5vKKl.jpg

"Honey Badger"

Gcf94w.jpg

Merhi, Vettel, and Raikkonen.

m7xGkF.jpg

End of the season group shot.

cv3iWL.jpg

poL9ca.jpg

Damon Hill and Martin Brundle.

Tz6ELp.jpg

Toto Wolff having a little fun.

0pbeyJ.jpg

The guy with the white mustache in the upper left corner, Dieter Zetsche, head of Mercedes.

r6D8Vi.jpg

Christian Horner. I wonder if he is thinking about how to "spice up" his marriage, lol

qhTi6s.jpg

Kimberly Stevens, Mercedes trackside aerodynamicist. Ohio State University graduate.

vhQ3Ll.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. Glad to post. Have to do something to deter the stir-craziness that can set in working over here.

Tracy, I posted some shots of the Bronco flying in the "What'd you see today" thread.

Moose, yes he was. It was scripted, but it made for a interesting shot.

• 3 months later...

Going through some old files, and got some inspiration. I have a number of pictures of rock faces, the Canadian Shield is full of large outcroppings of gneiss, a beautifully textured metamorphic rock. I've used that as a 'canvas', and superimposed other photographs over it using Photomatix HDR software. Still experimenting, but I'm beginning to like the results.

RAC1_zpsxlbetzmd.jpg

RAC2_zpsm7mnd9rr.jpg

RAC3_zpsw8xvwlbz.jpg

RAC4_zpsqj2i3cml.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Started shooting some HS football back in the fall, and have been shooting swimming for a couple of years. Working with a full-frame DSLR and an 80-200 2.8, thankfully my camera has enough resolution to crop. But I'm planning on purchasing a 300mm 2.8 towards year-end, we'll see.

22095608400_ee33d7e4a8_h.jpg

22095912148_6ff707c74e_h.jpg

18022373934_8204407529_h.jpg

18117313983_aa35bc2c3f_h.jpg

18559288983_7c9125fe02_h.jpg

19791122932_ca20efeb48_h.jpg

19175456434_977818420e_h.jpg

Those are great swim meet shots!! I particularly like the one of the three girls with their arms extended.

They must be difficult shots to get the exposure right with all the bright highlights. What metering pattern are you using and are you adding any exposure compensation, either in camera and/or in editing?

Really nice work.

Bob

I paid a visit to Old Car City, outside of Atlanta, on Saturday. Opened as a junk yard in 1931, it is now a museum of sorts, home to more than 4,000 old cars on 34 acres. It's mostly wooded land, and the cars have become part of the landscape, with trees and bushes growing up around, and in many cases, in the cars.

JM_2016_04_30_Old_Car_City_003-XL.jpg

JM_2016_04_30_Old_Car_City_022-XL.jpg

JM_2016_04_30_Old_Car_City_009-XL.jpg

JM_2016_04_30_Old_Car_City_010-XL.jpg

JM_2016_04_30_Old_Car_City_005-XL.jpg

JM_2016_04_30_Old_Car_City_021-XL.jpg

JM_2016_04_30_Old_Car_City_020-XL.jpg

I take a GoPro and sometimes a little camera with me on fly-fishing trips. The photos are pretty ordinary, and the little GoPro movies I put together even worse (I only have a Hero 2, and sometimes the clarity is poor). But I need these else people won't believe I catch anything!

Severn2_zpswuvjpgo0.jpg

CodRod_zpsqpltx1pg.jpg

CodFly2_zpsw8ezjfjk.jpg

Cod2_zpskieteau4.jpg

FishCloser_zpsrsoajlve.jpg

bass6_zpsi9bxoo4d.jpg

aprilvokey_zps100837e9.jpg

.....I'm just Joshing with that last one. That is my fly-fishing idol April Vokey. Silly girl went and married an Aussie!

Edited by Thommo
  • 7 months later...
On 4/24/2016 at 8:07 PM, Bob Beary said:

Those are great swim meet shots!! I particularly like the one of the three girls with their arms extended.

They must be difficult shots to get the exposure right with all the bright highlights. What metering pattern are you using and are you adding any exposure compensation, either in camera and/or in editing?

Really nice work.

Bob

Bob - thanks for the compliment. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I sort of lost track of this one.

For swimming I have my Nikon DSLR set to matrix metering, spot focus, I shoot aperture priority, I had been shooting at f4 or f5.6, but I got brave and started shooting at 2.8. I normally start at ISO 100 or 200 at the beginning of the meet, which is around 6:00 in the evening...as the evening wears on I bump the ISO up so that I'm shooting at no slower than 1/500 sec.

This shot is my daughter swimming butterfly this past summer....the 2.8 yielded great DoF, but you've got to be spot on with your focal point.

27216235193_225f978924_h.jpg