Trumpter Hun - NJ ANG

BTW....I found round ANG decals that are just about the right size.... 16.5mm in 1:32 scale. PM me if you want some.

Thanks, but a kind sould from the forums has already hooked me up. From the looks of my intake duct, it's going to be a while before I need decals. This weekend will be spent sanding. And sanding. And.... :worship:

Cheers!

Ben

Love those step by step pics in that latest update Irv!

Thanks Richard - it's been fun to document this way....of course sometimes my son is looking for his Nikon :huh:

I don't believe it!

Well, we'll see about the figures...my next project definately has a figure in it....

Very very nice!!! Paint work is coming along superbly.

Marcel

Thanks Marcel.....what you're not seeing is lots of touch up with the airbrush....very low compressor setting ~12 psi.

Thanks, but a kind sould from the forums has already hooked me up. From the looks of my intake duct, it's going to be a while before I need decals. This weekend will be spent sanding. And sanding. And.... :bandhead2:

Cheers!

Ben

No prob Ben...just thought I'd offer the decals.....

Have fun sanding :taunt:

Next update....here we go...

Freehand paint the slats to match up with cammo on the wing...

DSCN0493.jpg

Ok, slats look pretty good on wings...

DSCN0494.jpg

DSCN0495.jpg

Unmask the canopy and windscreen...the black inner-frame coloring is only visible to the camera...

DSCN0497.jpg

For those of you asking about the bare metal on the AB....here it is.....

DSCN0498.jpg

I rubbed out the cammo to expose the metalizer under (with laquer thinner; need to practice this first)....

Will add additional wear at the end of the build....

DSCN0499.jpg

Gloss coat completed....ready for decals...

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

Gloss coated drop tanks....the dark green is REALLY dark, but lighter shade will return after flat coat :unsure:

DSCN0502.jpg

That's all for now....more to come... :popcorn:

WOW, that is really starting to look good! Like what you did with the AB section! Cant wait to see the decals on your Hun!

Thanks Jman - I'm testing the decals with Mr Mark Setter/Softer today....dont' want to trash the build now :huh:

Yeah I was building a F/A-18 E had some really nice decals on it and ruined the entire model when I put the wash on! The wash was too thick didnt thin it down so of course I was unable to get the wash off! I learned my lesson that less is best, if I need to redo a wash thats better than having to redo the model!

Yeah I was building a F/A-18 E had some really nice decals on it and ruined the entire model when I put the wash on! The wash was too thick didnt thin it down so of course I was unable to get the wash off! I learned my lesson that less is best, if I need to redo a wash thats better than having to redo the model!

Sounds like the wash reacted with the decal overcoat...of course I'm assuming you sealed the decals....

I use a chalk wash over my decals that I seal with future.

Sounds like the wash reacted with the decal overcoat...of course I'm assuming you sealed the decals....

I use a chalk wash over my decals that I seal with future.

Yeah after I decaled it I coated with Future, then applied the wash. I have done washes since and had no problems, I just didnt thin it out enough!

Lookin' great! If I may offer a suggestion, if it's not too late, you might want to hit the area under the slats with your camouflage colors. They carried over from the wing and onto the slats:

f-100d_slat.jpg

I like how you're doing the burned paint on the tail. Looks cool!

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
Lookin' great! If I may offer a suggestion, if it's not too late, you might want to hit the area under the slats with your camouflage colors. They carried over from the wing and onto the slats:

f-100d_slat.jpg

I like how you're doing the burned paint on the tail. Looks cool!

Thanks for the reference Ben - I didn't have photos that showed that....I'll see if I can do anything about it.

As for the AB section...I think I'll hit it with some clear blue and weathering pastels after the flat coat to enhance the effect.

Great looking build! Yea, be careful with the Mr. Mark Softer. I nuked some decals a couple of weeks ago with the stuff (Eagle cal decals, far too strong for them...). Please keep those pics coming!

JON

Great looking build! Yea, be careful with the Mr. Mark Softer. I nuked some decals a couple of weeks ago with the stuff (Eagle cal decals, far too strong for them...). Please keep those pics coming!

JON

Thanks Jon - I been reading about the Mr Mark products...I am going to try some Trump decals on an old hanger queen.

Very nice paintjob! It looks really good. About the AB section - I always thought the huns weren´t painted there?!

They originally were painted, but the paint burned off in the striped pattern Irv has. Later, ANG units just masked the aft fuselages, but judging from photos, NJ ANG jets had the whole tail section painted. Duplicating that burned paint area is a pain, isn't it, Irv? :crying2:

Cheers!

Ben

They originally were painted, but the paint burned off in the striped pattern Irv has. Later, ANG units just masked the aft fuselages, but judging from photos, NJ ANG jets had the whole tail section painted. Duplicating that burned paint area is a pain, isn't it, Irv? :D

Cheers!

Ben

Ben - I believe you are correct about NJ ANG birds....my father tells me that back then, the ANG was almost considered a 'second hand' force, and the equipment AND $$$ were always secondary to the needs of the full time USAF.

That being the case, I believe the a/c were just handed over to the ANG, and they simply let the paint flake away where the heat of the AB caused the paint to separate from the metal. I believe the same thing occurred with the F-105Bs that the 119th TFS flew after the Huns.

And yes....replicating that burned area has been an interesting adventure in this build....but, I'm not done yet :thumbsup:

Quick upate.... I took Ben B's suggestion and extended the cammo onto the area under the slats that was bare metal...

(the technical details, I used my Iwata double action brush at 15 PSI at a range of 1 inch from the model surface).

DSCN0506.jpg

All for now...stay tuned..

Edited by singeri
Looking great! I sure hope my paint comes out as good as yours. I'm looking forward to seeing yours done.

Thanks Ed - I can say the same about yours....rescribing is something I have not tackled yet. ;)