Just bought a Revell -18F and was wondering what was needed to bring it up to modern standards. I don't fully understand the ACS cockpit configuration or Heat Blankets? Is the revell kit correct OOB? Basically any help for a Super Hornet Newbie. I've got the Detail and Scale book on the E/F but it seems the plane has evolved since then.

Sincerely,

David

Edited by Darth Putty

Hey David,

Check out my recent thread here.....

I am currently building the Revell F/A-18F and found a couple tricks that have made things a bit easier to put together and fits better....

The kit itself is a pretty standard build. The spine is a bit off, so it isn't 100% accurate (but the Hasegawa suffers from spine issues also)....

The whole ACS cockpit/heat blanket/heat pipes all depends on what squadron you're building. The early jets from VFA-41, -211, and -102 all had non-ACS with heat blankets. VF-103 and -11 had ACS with heat blankets. Everybody else after that had ACS with the pipes. Of course, now older squadrons are getting new jets, so if just depends on which aircraft you're doing.

For the Revell kit, Steel Beach makes an ACS coaming, resin nozzles with covers, ECS pipes, and vinyl intake covers. Royal Resin has some beautiful wheels. The SB stuff can be found at Spruebrothers.com. Royal Resin is here on ARC.

I reccomend:

-The Steel Beach ACS coaming.

-Steel Beach intake covers (becasue the intakes are a steel b!tch!)

-Heat blankets are easy to scratchbiuld with Tamiya Tape or some decal sheets have them

- Aftermarket decals- YES. I like Afterburner, Fightertown and 2Bobs myself.