1/48 scale IAF A-10I

I have been neglecting my Sandhog for a few weeks now. Be working on so "What If" F-8 Crusader profiles. ;)

Here's a small update.

Precision Papermate LGD's!?!! Pens, to me, has always looked like so form of a missile or bomb. And I decided to get rid of all those cluster bombs. And that's where the Precision Papermate LGB's (PPM LGB) comes in. I drawing up some ideas and came up with a design I was happy with.

IMG_4414.jpg

So I got four Papermate pens and cut them to length. And stuck them back together.

IMG_4413.jpg

I then scanned my drawing and open it in Photoshop.There I scaled the image and redrew and printed it to

check it is the right size. Once I had the correct size, I then copied and pasted enough fins for 4 PPM

LGB's. If you want a copy of my PPM LGB fin file go >>>HERE<<<

IMG_4416.jpg

I then printed the fin file and Super 77 it to some sheet styrene. The fronts fins, I used .03 and the rear

fins, I used .08

IMG_4418.jpg

With a new no# 11 blade and a straight edge, I cut out all the fins. Once done cutting, I lightly sanded the each side and super glued it to the body of the PPM LGB body. Heres one all glued up. Bit of a design change, the front fins in my original drawing was facing the other way but I think they look a little tougher this way. And yes, the pen still works :cheers:

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

Steven L

OMG... that's using the 'ol 'noodle' ... very creative. Can't wait to see what they look like painted up and weathered.... man I never thought of that ;-P

-Greg

Thanks Greg but Im just cheap.

Here another WIP pic. ;)

IMG_4428.jpg

Steven L

Here's another little update on my SandHog.

Well I rescribed the Fuselage from nose to engine mounts not going to rescribe the tail area. I save alot of raise rivet detail that will look great after some dry brushing. <_<

IMG_4454.jpg

And here's the other side. You can see my pile of used graphic tape in the background. Not knocking scribing templetes but I like to use graphic tape when scribing. Using graphic tape V's scribing templetes.... well it's easier to conform to surface and I did not have to try to hold the template in place as well as holding the model and whatever scribing tool I was using. Just tear a piece off, place it where you want, start scribing and when your happy, peel it up and move on. I like Chartpak graphic tape, it's cheap, it stick well and it's think enough to use as a guide.

IMG_4457.jpg

Had some work to do around the engine to airframe area. after a little putty/sand/putty/sand/ prime, look pretty good. :thumbsup:

IMG_4460.jpg

Here's she is kind of dressed up, with weaopns on display. Soon it will be time for paint!

IMG_4465.jpg

Steven L

• 1 month later...

Here's a small update. She now got all 13 hardpoints glued to her wing. It took some time to clean up and glue all those sway braces in place. Still got some filling to do on hardpoints 1 and 13.

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

More to come,

Steven L :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Painting of my Sandhawg has started. :woo:

It is slow going, getting use to my new set up. (My old set up is for sell, look HERE if your intrested ;) )

I started with one of the hardest things first, the fan blades and the inside of the intake. Heres how I did it. With a pair of caliper I measured the diameter of the inside of the intake as well as the cone at the center of the fan blades. I then transfer those measurement on to a piece of .02 styrene. Making two intake Doughnuts(like Homer, Mmmmm....Intake Doughnuts)

IMG_4727.jpg

I first shot each intake with Testors Burnt Metal Buffing Metalizer, not worry about over spray. I then let dry and buff then seal it. Next, I put the intake Doughnuts in place and shot flat white around the walls of the intake and once dry I pull out the intake Doughnuts.

IMG_4738.jpg

Preshading done! :woo:

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

Until later :wave:

Steven L

During paint, I dropped my Hawg....Like all model tragedies, it happened in slow motion. Breaking off the whole right tail assembly! :o :cheers: I finish spraying whatever color I was shooting. I than super glued the tail back on without any problem and without having to go though the putty/sand/putty/sand routine. After I finished the camo job, I was admiring my handy work and notice a new panel line running straight down the center of the fuselage! after a bit of :thumbsup: I let the paint dry for a day and then I hit the crack with some Proweld to seal it. After that I applied some red spot putty and let it dry.

IMG_4761.jpg

After sanding and resrcibing a few panel lines back. I than reshot the sand color. Even those the crack repair is a pain in the ***, it give me a chance to add one of my bumps and antenna combo I forget to add before paint. With a bit of superglue, I placed the bump and antenna combo.

IMG_4763.jpg

I then remasked the sand color with silly putty and shot the light brown. Good as new!

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg

Until next time,

Steven L :lol: