Question for IAF experts

Hi all

In the near future I plan on doing an Israeli F-4E, I have also picked up the Hasegawa weapon set C that includes 4 GBU-8. It is my understanding that these were used on Phantoms but were they ever used on Israeli phantoms ?

If so if there are any pics floating around I would love to see them

Thanks Rob

GBU-8 was in the IDF/AF inventory. I have seen pics of it on the Kfir, so logically it would have been deployed by Israeli Phantoms as well.

edit: one more source for you - according to http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f4_41.html, "The IDF/AF F-4Es can also carry Luz 1 television-guided air-to-surface missiles, AGM-84A Harpoon antiship missiles, Hobos television guided bombs, the AGM-45 Shrike anti-radar missiles, AGm-62 Walleye and AGM-65 Mavericak missiles."

However, the same page also states that some Israeli Phantoms had their M61 Vulcans replaced by twin 30mm DEFA's, a claim I've never heard before.

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Replacing Vulcans with DEFAs? NO. I don't think so. By the time the Phantoms were pretty mature in the IAF fleet, they were bringing online the F-15 Eagles and the F-16s, both of which used M61 vulcans as the standard armament. So why would the IAF take on a crazy project to rearm a Phantom with an integral gun in its nose (and with plenty of bullets and spares available) with something completely different? I think this site confused the F-4 with the A-4 as most of the Skyhawks did have their original Colt guns replaced with DEFA cannons (a somewhat easier retrofit by comparison).

I think this site confused the F-4 with the A-4 as most of the Skyhawks did have their original Colt guns replaced with DEFA cannons (a somewhat easier retrofit by comparison).

Yes, that was my theory as well. It just caught my eye, usually Joe Baughers articles are quite accurate.

Cheers,

Andre

Yep, I've got a Promodeler F-4E waiting in the wings to become an Isreali F-4.

I often wonder what kind of loadout I can put on it. Thread like this one are very helpful...

Cheers, Ian

Since the ProModeler boxing has only the hard wing, you are probably mainly looking at a Yom Kippur era bird. Common loads seem to be AIM-9D, Sparrows, and dumb bombs like Mk.82s and 750lb bombs. Later on they got things like Popeye, but most of the pictures I've seen of IAF F-4s with guided weapons seem to show them in the later configuration with slatted wings and the external refueling probe.

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave,

This is exactly what I mean....that info you shared helped me out a lot. I was wondering about the wing configuration for IDF F-4s especially the one I plan on doing.

I don't want to model an Isreali Phantom, only to have the incorrect wing configuration and wrong loadout for the era the aircraft was in.

thanks,

Cheers, Ian

However, the same page also states that some Israeli Phantoms had their M61 Vulcans replaced by twin 30mm DEFA's, a claim I've never heard before.
From what I have heard/read it was one, the one they modified as a 'Super Phantom' with PW1120 engines. However, I seem to recall pictures of that one with the gun-fairing intact so take your pick :tumble:

:)

From what I have heard/read it was one, the one they modified as a 'Super Phantom' with PW1120 engines. However, I seem to recall pictures of that one with the gun-fairing intact so take your pick :wacko:

:cheers:

Never heard of this before!

The A-4 had the guns in the wings,so the conv. is logical.

But F-4?! :thumbsup: