Matchbox 1/72 EA-6B Prowler

The detail and scale Prowler book is not kind to that kit at all, basically saying that any serious modeller should ignore that kit... I have no personal experience with the kit to say personally.

I hope serious modellers aren't always serious and sometimes build a hopeless Matchbox/Airfix/whatever kit just for fun.

Thanks. I have plenty other Matchbox kits to finish (and huge amount of others to start) : P-51, BAe Hawk, Mirage IIIC, Mirage IIIB, Phantom. Landing gear is up on all of them.

The trick is to build it out of the box for technique evaluation (first attempt at tinting a canopy and new way of masking canopy frames and glare panel) and use the folded wings option without getting too hung up on its shortcomings: deep/wide panel lines, overly prominent canopy frames, crude landing gear doors, etc. I did make a couple of changes to the outboard pylons...

MatchboxEA-6B.jpg

The trick is to build it out of the box for technique evaluation (first attempt at tinting a canopy and new way of masking canopy frames and glare panel) and use the folded wings option without getting too hung up on its shortcomings: deep/wide panel lines, overly prominent canopy frames, crude landing gear doors, etc. I did make a couple of changes to the outboard pylons...

MatchboxEA-6B.jpg

Wow! It's nicely built up! Looks like I'll be getting the kit, and to take your suggestion for technique evaluation!

Ben

I hope serious modellers aren't always serious and sometimes build a hopeless Matchbox/Airfix/whatever kit just for fun.

easy there, killer! :whistle: I was just quoting what the book had to say about it for his benefit... I'm all to happy to take a "substandard" kit and bring it up to par, in fact I get more enjoyment out of that than a kit that builds itself.

easy there, killer! :) I was just quoting what the book had to say about it for his benefit...

Sure. It wasn't to your post I was reacting to but to the quote itself :thumbsup:

I'm all to happy to take a "substandard" kit and bring it up to par, in fact I get more enjoyment out of that than a kit that builds itself.

Cool ! The care I take to build a kit is proportional to the quality of the kit. The careless I am the bigger the fun is. I sometimes feel a bit sad about that :P The good thing is that I can let my 2 1/2 years-old son touch my Matchbox models a bit (the ones with the gear up and few fragile protuding thingies).

Edited by Laurent