blackhawk crew question

Gonna pick up the Academy "ah-60l" and would like to build Durant's bird.

My question relates to the complement of crewmembers and Delta operators onboard that morning. Anyone have out a set of Delta guys that would be fairly close to the guys in Somalia?

Also, anyone have some pretty good pics of Super 61 after the crash? I'm also toying with building a diorama of the crash with the Little Bird coming in to check for survivors. I'm thinking of using some 1/72 Vietcong for the Somalis moving in unless there is something better.

Thanks,

John

Mike Durant's bird was an MH-60 with a snoopy nose and a chin FLIR turret.Their are only 2 known pictures of Super 61 after it crashed.One of the pics is on www.ArmyAircrews.com under UH-60 Blackhawk mishaps.The other one is found at www.BHD93.com.You have to be a member of that forum to access that picture.You can use DML's 1/35 scale Delta force Somalia figures for the Delta guys.You can use the new 1/35 scale UH-60 figures from CMK (I think that's who has the best aircrew figures).

Ditto with hawkwrench on the DF figures, but IDK about the CMK figs though.

On to the 1/72 stuff:

There might be some better things, like the Urban Resisters from Caeser Miniatures, however they are more suited for Iraq, I think that they could be used for your diorama.

As for the references, good luck finding the pics. I think Military Photos might have some. I know that on their forums they have a fairly active 160th Thread that has a few pics from that time.

What are you using for the 1/72 MH-60L?

Also, check out the Diorama that I am currently building, it may be of some use: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=140485

HTH,

Austin

I like the urban resistors. I'd probably be able to use alot more of them than the Vietcong guys.

DML's Delta's also look like the way to go. There were more than 4 on each black hawk weren't there? Seems like there were in the movie anyway.

I already have Hasegawa's uh-60a for the 1/72 that I'm considering for the downed bird. I was thinking of trying to do some basic modifications to bring it to a mh-60l. These things get completely tore up when you slam them into the ground anyway. Would this be a completely terrible idea (I'm not that familiar with helicopters, sorry)?

The dio idea looks great arkhunter. Mine is going to need a few structure fronts to define the borders and alleys.

John

You would need a HIRSS for the Hasegawa kit, and some 1/72 miniguns.

Anyways, here's the pic of the sketch up (WIP) that I'm doing. I am not planning on this to be an actual model, but I think it just looks cool.

BlackHawkDownSketchv1.jpg

Take care,

Austin

Oh, BTW, I'm using this stuff called cellfoam, and it works great for the walls and stuff (if you're stuck on construction materials).

Edit: SketchUp= a freeware program from google, works great for laying out dioramas. Plus you can use other peoples models that they choose to share in the 3D warehouse (that's where I got the BH and Olympic hotel, those aren't mine). good stuff...

Edited by arkhunter2002

John,

An A model with the HIRSS exhaust suppressors could be tweaked to look like an MH-60L with relative ease. If it has the original teardrop exhausts, you may have some issues with it.

The movie is a surprisingly good resource for what happens to rotor blades, etc. when a helicopter crashes.

I've now got a stack of Hawks sitting here. I may have to build one as an MH-60K or L. Been resisting the SOAR bug, but I may have to cave for one of my four Hawks.

Jon

You can use DML's 1/35 scale Delta force Somalia figures for the Delta guys.You can use the new 1/35 scale UH-60 figures from CMK (I think that's who has the best aircrew figures).

Agree on DML's Delta Force, but disagree on the CMK figures: the best (and most expensive) are Nemrod's. The pilot figures have the correct SPH-4NV helmet and flight suit, but lack the vests that the 160th used those days.

I've been meaning to pick up the book Black Hawk Down, not only for the photos but get a better sense of the battle. I've read Killing Pablo by Bowden and he's a really good writer, but most journalists write better histories than historians (pretty bad coming from a historian hehe).

Stopped by hobby lobby today and picked up the mh-60 for $30!!! All hail the 40% off coupon!! :coolio:

Oh, I looked around a little for miniguns in 1/72 but couldn't find any. Does anyone sell them or do you have to steal them from another kit?

John

I've been meaning to pick up the book Black Hawk Down, not only for the photos but get a better sense of the battle. I've read Killing Pablo by Bowden and he's a really good writer, but most journalists write better histories than historians (pretty bad coming from a historian hehe).

Stopped by hobby lobby today and picked up the mh-60 for $30!!! All hail the 40% off coupon!! :coolio:

Oh, I looked around a little for miniguns in 1/72 but couldn't find any. Does anyone sell them or do you have to steal them from another kit?

John