Here is the Hobbyboss A-10, finished off in Connecticut ANG markings for 82-0646, using a number of different decal sheets and some great custom decals by Mike Grant -- thanks again, Mike!

The kit has its good points: nicely recessed panel lines, nice gun muzzle, correct boarding ladder, etc. It also has some pretty poor aspects: the nose was too fat and up-turned (corrected by sanding it and re-contouring with Milliput), the fit was not what I would expect of a $60 kit, the fan inlet is too shallow and the spinners are way off in shape, the windscreen shape is not correct (robbed one from the Monogram kit), etc. I don't foresee myself building another one, because for what the Monogram kit lacks in fit it more than makes up for in accuracy, detailing, and price.

Some aftermarket that I used: Legends ACES II, Eric Marks' awesome inlets and DRA, Dr. Pepper Resins LITENING pod, and I think that's it.

The model is a gift for my friend who crewed her for two years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

3.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

test.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

That's a lovely looking build Tom.

It pays to fly them for a living eh?

You really look to have nailed all of the details, I totally dig the subtle weathering.

Is it my imagination or is the left engine spinner bronze in colour?

:cheers:

It certainly is brass. It got a replacement spinner a few years back and it has never gotten paint.

Wow! A very nice build! :salute:

What colors did you use for the greys on the aircraft? FS36375 and FS36230? Been trying to figure out which grey is the most accurate for the A-10s.

Ben

Ben, it is the standard 36375 and 36320 for the grays right out of the bottle. I then weathered with a wash and chalks. Future mixed with Tamiya Flat Base finished it off.

that is a lovely hog there!!! i love the ladder bay door art. did you hand paint that or print off a decal?

how is the hobyboss a-10 to work with? did you add an after-market bits?

Thanks, I did hand-paint the upper portion of the door and used a decal on bottom.

I wasn't overly impressed with the kit -- the fit is not terrific, the nose is misshapen, lots of rivets that should be raised are instead recessed. I did add an A/M ACES II, Eric Marks' resin intakes (fantastic, by the way), and robbed some parts from the Monogram kit, such as the windscreen , lower NLG strut, etc.

All in all, I'll be going back to the Monogram kit.

Looks great, Tom!

I still can't believe you guys have gone away. :cheers:

Where is this jet now? Idaho?

Jake

Yup, this place is downright depressing. The past few weeks have been like the movie "Groundhog Day..."

This Hog is going back to where she came from 15 years ago: Spangdahlem. I wish it were Boise -- she's a great jet.

- Tom

Many thanks, gents!

Tom, that came out really nice! What did you use for the tarmac?

Thanks, Ken. I bought the base from www.e-modelsandmore.com They sell a whole bunch of different types -- I was pretty pleased with it, though the picture showed a dark stain and mine arrived very light. Oh well!

Just fantastic! Did it take much effort to get Eric's engine inlets to fit? I have a set that I was thinking of using on my Hobby Boss kit but I wasn't sure if they were compatible or not.

Thanks, David. The inlet assemblies popped right in and I had to use just a little bit of filler, though that probably could have been avoided if I had prepped the nacelles a bit more. Erik's work is top-notch!

- Tom

WELL DONE SIR!! Nice lookin hawg, the others are correct, the weathering looks great!! I have a set of Erics intakes for both the monogram and the Tamiya A-10. I just cant figure out which one to build!! Monogram or Tamiya???

YA DUN GOOT!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

Many thanks, gents!

Thanks, Ken. I bought the base from www.e-modelsandmore.com They sell a whole bunch of different types -- I was pretty pleased with it, though the picture showed a dark stain and mine arrived very light. Oh well!

Thanks, David. The inlet assemblies popped right in and I had to use just a little bit of filler, though that probably could have been avoided if I had prepped the nacelles a bit more. Erik's work is top-notch!

- Tom

thanks Tom, I never knew about that site - good to know

The inlet assemblies popped right in and I had to use just a little bit of filler....

Thanks for the update. I'll definitely try that on mine. I'm trying to get in touch with Eric to get one of his resin DRAs, but I haven't gotten an answer via email yet.