'Goof Gone' or similar stuff for stripping acrylics?

I just found a dead bottle of Goof Gone (Goof Off or something similar) in my garage, it is a water based stripper that I had used to clean up some house painting boo boos a coupel of years ago. It had evaporated but it got me wondering if the stuff would work stripping the botched paint off of my HB Wildcat and lift it out of the recessed details.

Anyone out there use something similar? I used rubbing alchol to clean most of the paint off but the recessed detail in the area I painted is basically gone with beautiful recessed detail right next to it ( I put paint on too heavy trying to get yellow coverage)

Matt

I just found a dead bottle of Goof Gone (Goof Off or something similar) in my garage, it is a water based stripper that I had used to clean up some house painting boo boos a coupel of years ago. It had evaporated but it got me wondering if the stuff would work stripping the botched paint off of my HB Wildcat and lift it out of the recessed details.

Anyone out there use something similar? I used rubbing alchol to clean most of the paint off but the recessed detail in the area I painted is basically gone with beautiful recessed detail right next to it ( I put paint on too heavy trying to get yellow coverage)

Matt

I've used Goof Off to strip paint before (yellow can, small red spout?) but it's very volatile stuff. While it stripped paint well, I could barely touch it to the plastic or else it would begin melting the plastic.

Nail polish remover (using a cloth to rub it off) seems to work well for stripping acrylic paint.

Hmmm Windex. Simple window cleaning spray Windex?

The only problem is I don't want to soak my whole Wildcat, that'd mess up the engine and cockpit with no solution for repainting. I wonder if I could just soak a wing, get it stripped and then do the other wing and then the tail (BACK OF THE COCKPIT!) to get them cleaned up. I may have to give it a try this weekend. Thanks

Matt

I use Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean to take off acrylics. Simple Green takes off Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics faster than I can eat a steak. If I have to attack enamels I use the Castrol Super Clean or (if its been on there for a while, or it's chrome plate) I use Easy Off Oven cleaner. Wear gloves with the CSC or the Easy Off though...unless you like have dry skin on your hands. Hope that helps.

Hmmm Windex. Simple window cleaning spray Windex?

The only problem is I don't want to soak my whole Wildcat, that'd mess up the engine and cockpit with no solution for repainting. I wonder if I could just soak a wing, get it stripped and then do the other wing and then the tail (BACK OF THE COCKPIT!) to get them cleaned up. I may have to give it a try this weekend. Thanks

Matt

Windex is my preferred first choice for stripping acrylics. No need to soak - just spray it on straight out of the bottle, leave it for 5 or 10, and use an old toothbrush to scrub it off. It's especially effective on Gunze and Tamiya acrylics.

Kev

"Goof off" Thats beaut....We need a couple cases of that here in the prison. Thats THE WORST insult you can call someone here bar-none.

Someone calls you a "Goof" and you don't kill him.....You'd better book in to Protective custody. :cheers:

GOOF OFF is straight DRY CLEANING FLUID, highly flammable and volatile to many kinds of plastics.

GOO GONE is is a petroleum based cleaner with citrus oil added, no word on it's volatility.

Two completely different products, but both are questionable for stripping acrylic paint. I'd stick with Windex.

• 2 weeks later...

Windex worked on my Wildcat this weekend. Poured some in a sandwich baggie and then held each wing in the goop for about 10 minutes and then warm water and a toothbrush. Took about 2 times per wing to get it done, with minimal sanding and a couple of spots where I scraped annoying areas with a blade under the softened paint.

Another thing - instead of sanding with sanding sticks or pads I used a doodad called a Magic Eraser and it cut thru the paint but didn't harm the plastic. Unfortunately it polished the plastic so well the Polly Scale paints almost didn't want to adhere on it as the plastic was so slick and clean. Yes I brushed it, remember the original botch came from a bad attempt at airbrushing the scheme. Some day I'll learn to use the stupid thing.

Matt