Here's #3:

G50.jpg

And the scheme:

G50001.jpg

...a nice break from those "involved" schemes...

Painted the interior parts Wednesday. We'll see if I get a chance to start sanding styrene this weekend.

Ken

A bit of time on this tonight:

G50002.jpg

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of detail to get in the way with this one. That's about it for the cockpit. The instruments are just blank raised "plugs". I'd put decal faces on it, but from what little is out there I've read for reviews of this kit, it disappears when the fuselage is buttoned up anyway. The wheel wells are a bit of a disappointment too. Void of any details and quite shallow. If I was inclined to spend a lot of time on this one I'd find some references and deepen them with some sheet styrene, but it's just a shelf-sitter. Trailing edges are quite thick too, and it's molded in a hard styrene.

Ken

I love the mix of archaic and modern features on the G.50, something particular to the Italian airforce in general. The kit may not be the best, but you should be able to get some nice results with a little bit of TLC.

A simple solution to the wheel well problem might be to build this one with gear up and mount it on a stand.

I wouldn't worry much about the cockpit, as like you said, there isn't much you can see once the fuselage comes together. Even less if you throw a pilot in there.

Sure enough-the cockpit disappears:

G50003.jpg

I'll have to paint it with the nose off. There's some fuselage under the cowl flaps that won't get painted if it's on and it'll also help when it comes time to put the prop on.

Fit is good. The wing even snaps into place.

Ken

Close enough for paint:

G50004.jpg

G50005.jpg

Not a bad little build for what it is. The engraved details on the tail feathers and the upper cowl are oddly heavier than the rest of the kit. I've read a couple reviews where the builders filled the panel lines in to tone it down, but I didn't bother with this one. The cowl piece also seems oversized, but other than that the fit was pretty good.

Ken

Interesting, I've never even heard of Secter models.

Hasegawa released this kit under the Hasegawa label 10-15 years ago. The Hasegawa box also had the Sector label on it. Model trivia you'll probably never need.

IIRC when this kit was released, there was talk of some error with the wings. Don't recall what, though. There was a correction/detail kit for this kit, but I don't recall who did it.

Ken, it's looking like it's needing a coat of paint. Looking forward to seeing this kit finished. Don't see many G.50s completed in any scale and it was an interesting plane. Kinda ugly, but you can see the lines that evolved into the G.55 and G.59.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, here's as good as this one gets:

posted.jpg

I looked at the canopy for 5 days before I decided to just brush paint the frames and get it done. A note-the fuselage band fit was a little different-I think the seam in the decal was supposed to meet on a corner instead of center bottom like I'm used (conditioned) to. That's why youse guys are getting a pic of this side :deadhorse1:

Looks good on the shelf with the Macchis-it's a nice contrast.

Ken

This has come out very nice, Sir!

The machine itself has tremendous charm. I am fond of things with a 'what the hell were they thinking?' air about them, which these late thirties Italian fighters have in spades.

This has come out very nice, Sir!

The machine itself has tremendous charm. I am fond of things with a 'what the hell were they thinking?' air about them, which these late thirties Italian fighters have in spades.

Thanks OM! I know what it is-it has that 30s Italian racing plane look.

I always liked italian planes, looking good, allthough the paint scheme is a bit boaring, like the the sand/green/brown better.

cheers

Jes

It sure is. I would've done something more involved, but I expected this build to be a PITA. As luck would have it, none of the 4 builds I did here were difficult in any way (other than freehanding smoke rings :thumbsup: )

Thanks gents.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Here are the rest of the pics for this build:

MkIearly001.jpg

MkIearly002-1.jpg

MkIearly003-1.jpg

MkIearly004-1.jpg

Lot of nice builds for this GB-too many to comment on individually. And a great opportunity to build all my Italian kits. Hopefully next time I'll build something Allied :thumbsup:

Ken (off to PACAIR)