Guys hi

I won't formally enter this, given it's not a model, and it was already started before the GB, but I thought

you might enjoy seeing it progress.

I'm also not sure whether the A model qualifies for Iron Hand, although they flew SAM and AAA suppression.

wip11a.jpg

About 50% complete I guess pending any major repaints :redx:

Oil on canvas

36" x 28"

Pete

Troops hi

More progress, I've scrapped both pilots as it was obvious they were both too large in relation to the cockpit. The plan is to work on them tomorrow at a slightly smaller scale.

In the meantime I've worked on the shadows and half tones to increase the sense of shape and depth, warming the lights and cooling the shadows at the same time.

wip12a.jpg

While I love aircraft I do think it's important to have a human element, and a story behind the picture.

More seriously I will probably portrait this aircraft as BU155677, modex 506, being the mount of Lt Cdr F Holmes. This aircraft was shot down over Vietnam on the 30/12/71 with Holmes being lost, although his B/N Lt Burton was rescued.

Over water Frederick L. Holmes

(1793)

On December 30, 1971, Lieutenant Commander Holmes and his co-pilot,

Lieutenant Burton, were the lead A-6 aircraft in a strike mission

over North Vietnam. Their aircraft was observed to take a direct

hit from a surface to air missile. Lieutenant Burton was wounded,

blown clear of the aircraft and his parachute deployed

successfully. Another aircraft on the scene reported seeing two

good chutes deploy, but this report was later viewed as not

confirmed. A search and rescue aircraft then reported both pilots

in sight and in the water off Hon Nieu Island. Lieutenant Burton

was rescued by U.S. forces. SAR forces located a pilot's ejection

seat and life raft possibly belonging to Lieutenant Commander

Holmes but were unable to locate either him or his chute in an area

with a large number of North Vietnamese sampans.

A Radio Hanoi broadcast referenced this incident, one of several

U.S. aircraft losses on the same date in the southern part of North

Vietnam. While some pilots were reported captured alive,

Lieutenant Commander Holmes' name was not identified among those

captured. One returning POW recognized Lieutenant Commander

Holmes' name but no returning POWs ever reported him alive in the

northern Vietnamese prison system.

In April 1975 Lieutenant Commander Holmes case was submitted for a

casualty review at the request of his next of kin. He was declared

dead/body not recovered.

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys hi

Into that familiar territory of 1 step forward 2 steps back, as I plucked up courage this weekend to add the gloss white over the gull grey. My intended plan of using flake white (being transparent) didn't work, so I've had to rework the light and shade. I found it really hard to paint white in shadow next to grey in light.

wip14a.jpg

I'm not happy with white on the nose, so I'll work on that further, and yes both pilots need to be redone again.

I do like the Mk 82s though although I've got to add the fins sometime.

Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching.

Pete

Guys hi

Maybe 2 steps foward 1 step back with this update, as I feel progress was made, although I prefered the early version with less contrast on the fuselage.

wip15a.jpg

I plan to leave this alone for a week/10 days, during this time I'll finalise the line drawing re data markings and stencils, so these can be added in due course.

I've worked the right lower cloud and may well call it and the fields finished at this stage. I'm not sure what else I can do with them.

Pete

looking better every time mate. i dont think there is anything else to do to the field or clouds.

or possibly you could had an orangy/pinky hue to the clouds to look like a nice sun set?

a few questions, A) how big is this? :banana: is it going to be up for sale or is it a keeper. C) if its up for sale, how about donating it as a prize for the GB winners? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Gents hi

More progress with the finish line definitely in sight now

wip16a.jpg

The cockpit area 95% complete, while the markings are being blocked in.

wip16adet.jpg

You won't believe how difficult I found it to get the right shape for the warning triangle as it curves around the intake. Taking red paint off white is a real PITA.

Pete

Hey guys.

A (maybe stupid) question: Do you paint the plane upside down or do you turn the canvas? May sound stupid, but I think painting upside down must feel strange

Not a stupid question, rather an interesting one. I've generally turned the canvas upside down to paint as when upside down the aircraft is closest to the bottom edge and so easier to reach, keep in mind the painting is 3 ft tall.

However one of the tricks when painting is to view the WIP both upside down and in a mirror. The reasoning behind this is to help stop seeing (in this case) the A6, rather just see the shapes, colour masses and values. Painting upside achieves the same which allows me to paint what I see rather than what I know to be there. If you look at the cockpit I've not really painted any detail rather hinted at shape and colour. Hope I'm making sense here

Pete

Rich hi

Congratulations on the new baby.

I'll price this once its finished, but on the basis of £1.5 per square inch it will be in the region of £1.5k.

Staged payments are always available, otherwise if you have a budget we can work to it.

Drop me a pm or email if you would like to discuss things in more detail

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Pete,

Great work I must say.

I do have a question for you.

Would you allow me to use a small scan of your art for a new project I am considering for the Monogram kit? I will certainly give all the credit and anything else you need for your work.

Cheers,

Harold

Gents hi

Well this is it finished, and signed.

I'll get a better photo up over the next few days, as the weather here is lousy at the moment.

"Into the Storm"

wip18a.jpg

36x28 oil on canvas

All thoughts and critique welcome

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman