THE Official Convair F-102 Delta Dagger Thread

Daggers, Harry. Delta Daggers. Unless you're just fishing, in which case you got a bite.

>>Here's the Voodoo thread<<

No fishing today forI put my fishing equipment away for the winter :) In my tag line, I was referring to Voodoos4ever, the member that started this thread. Since you did mention F-101's, I am going to pull some of my Voodoo pictures out of achieves and post them as time permits. I do hope you have enjoyed the photos. Harry

Here's another F-102 in poor shape. This one is at the Warner Robins AFM in Georgia. The first pic was taken in 2004 and the other two in 2006. The aircraft was pulled off display due to advance corrosion, however the good news is that she is going through a full restoration and should be back on display soon.

F-1023.jpg

F-1024.jpg

F-1025.jpg

Harry

• 1 year later...

Here are some pics of a F-102 on sticks for the Montana ANG. These are in Great Falls at Lions Park.

* By the way, does anyone else have any pictures of the Montana ANG 102's?????

F-102_01.jpg

F-102_04.jpg

F-102_03.jpg

Joel

Edited by Tiger15

The reason I ask if anyone else has pictures of the MT ANG "Deuces" is because I am looking for reference pics for my build. The ones I posted were taken by me.

In the Wings of Fame Journal, Volume 17, I found one picture of a TF-102A with different markings. It also states in the journal that some units used "tactical code letters". The MT ANG used an "alpha-numeric system" that they used on their F-89's.

I just want to make a correct representation of the Deuce that they flew. Not sure if there was more than one way to portray the MT ANG Deuces.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joel

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have or know of any photos of the F-102s of the 151st FIS of the Tennessee ANG? The unit operated them briefly (just under a year) from 1963 to April of 1964, between the F-104 and the KC-97. I can't find photos of them anywhere...

Thanks for any help,

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Guys. Looking for a little help here. If you were a) A F-102 pilot, b) A maintenance man or c) Know someone who was maybe you can help?

I am in the early stages of researching the Convair F-102 Delta Dagger and I am hoping to get responses from F-102 pilots about:

The flying characteristics of the F-102. 
Was it an easy aircraft to fly? 
Was it an effective interceptor?

What were the dangers of flying the type - could you get into trouble easily on the edge of its flight envelope?
Was the cockpit ergonomically easy to work in or was it a bit like being a one-armed paper hanger?
What was its strongest virtue?
What was its greatest vice?

What type of targets would you have been assigned to defend against during the Cold War?

I would also appreciate stories of Cold War USA/European/Vietnam operations, exercises, close calls in training and/or poor weather. Also any photos, particularly air-to-air shots you may have. As well as anything liked or disliked about the F-102.

From maintenance men I would like to know about the ease or difficulty of maintaining the aircraft. What was the worst job to complete? What became unserviceable most often keeping the aircraft on the ground? How easy was it to arm with a weapons load? Tales of high pressure operations for the ground crew during the Cold War/Vietnam.