Next up for me is a "Heavy". I know the Hasegawa is a superior kit but I've got several of these on the shelf and they are a little simpler to put together. The Italeri kits of this era are good, but not great. Kind of tranistional period between the old days of Airfix to what we consider to be the norm now.

The A-14 was an A-4 with an MG FF gun mounted in the nose. This could be a factory conversion (what I'll be modeling) or a field conversion. I'll be using the JK Resins conversion kit for this.

Interior is stock except for some Eduard PE pre-painted seatbelts. The detail was acceptable. I added some gagues from the spares box and a Mike Grant decal sheet to dress up the instrument panel and the Bordfunker's station. The seat next to the pilot's has got to be completely wrong or Mini-me was flying for the Luftwaffe in WW2. :wacko:

DSCN0316.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

Edited by The Mikester

FYI: Not uncommon for a smaller seat next to the pilot. You'll see it in a lot of bombers. The seat is for takeoff and landing mostly, and you'll have the occupant at the bombsite or manning a gun instead of sitting in the seat, so they didn't bother putting in an armored/full-sized seat.

I've seen similar seats in models of b-25s, he-111s, and a few other bombers similar to the ju88.

Well prodding right along...

Have made some good progress. The gondola and the resin conversion has been a real pain in the arse, mostly my fault. I actually ruined the first gondola by not fitting it correctly and having to sand the heck out of it to make the new MG FF mount fit. Luckily I have a Ju 88A-17 on the shelf that has the same clear sprues but does not use the gondola. The second go around has been better, not perfect but I'm not willing to ruin another gondola in pursuit of the perfect fit.

DSCN0395.jpg

DSCN0394.jpg

Fit has been pretty good, but the upper canopy is a little warped towards the aft portion. I'll stretch it over and glue it down when the rest dries. I'd hoped to get some painting done this weekend but the weather has been miserable, contrary to the song it does rain in Southern California.

DSCN0399.jpg

She's painted....a long, laborious process. I pre-shaded the panel lines, since they're raised and I wanted to give them a little "oomph". With as many panel lines as this baby has, particularly on the wings it was a time consuming process. Pretty happy with the way it came out though, very interesting paint scheme. Paints are Aeromaster and MM acrylics.

DSCN0403.jpg

DSCN0401.jpg

DSCN0404.jpg

Edited by The Mikester

Thanks, Dave. There's been a lot of real nice multi-engine stuff in 1/72 over the last few years, for a Ju 88 go with the Hasegawa though not this one. Us tiny towners are now waiting for a new Bf 110, not too patiently. :coolio:

Edited by The Mikester

"Stickers" applied and flat coated. I may have got a bad bottle of Pollyscale clear flat, it looks a little hazy over the black portions of the decals <_<

DSCN0408.jpg

DSCN0407.jpg

Edited by The Mikester
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And she's finally finised, got a little bogged down during the end with all the little details but I'm reasonably happy with the finished product. I wasn't real happy with the kit wheels so I replaced them with some True Details resin pieces. Not a bad kit for the price, I have a few more in the stash I'll probably get around to building one of these days, the Ju 88 really was an interesting aircraft.

ju88a14_b3am_1.JPG

ju88a14_b3am_2.JPG

ju88a14_b3am_3.JPG

ju88a14_b3am_4.JPG

ju88a14_b3am_5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...