apollo recovery build

I guess I've actually been posting these pictures in the wrong place, this is where I should be putting them. So I'll pick up the build here and show where i am.

I have the floatation ring formed up. I decided to use 1/2" diameter plastic tubing cut into .813" segments. I pretty much guessed at the size and number of the segments and layed it out in Autocad. That gave me the shape i needed to cut in plastic. I am thinking about coating the whole ring in something to smooth is all out and give it that rubber ring look. My two choices so far are either dipping it in latex enamel house paint and then adding the details such as hoist rings, straps, and bumbers. Or maybe trying to use the liquid latex stuff that is used to dip tools in to give rubber grips. I don't how paintable that stuff is though, so does anyone have any thoughts about it? anyone ever try to paint it?

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

the other pic is the blank canvas that is the instrument panel. It scares me to death. there are way too many small switches for my taste. i am fighting the urge to buy the real space interior. i guess there's no chance they would be interested in selling me just the instrument panel.

DSC_0062.jpg

Thanks for looking. Sorry it was such a long post.

Bill

Thanks for the kind words.

as for the top of the hatch, i'm looking for the right shaped object to glue on top of what is there so the bottle won't really be seen. The shape i'm looking for is a shallow cone-ish pie plate like disc. the top of the kit doesn't look quit right, but it's hard to find a straight head on photo of what that hatch looks like without the docking mechanism over it so they may have it right.

as you can see, i'm jumping all over the place on the build. i'll work on the top, run into a wall and then go back to the interior.....big wall (instrument panel) then focus on the ring.

now i just have to do is finish all of that, modify some divers, scratch a raft, make the water, paint the whole thing and viola.....why did i start this again? :salute:

speaking of paint, has anyone here ever used gold leaf or silver leaf on models? my main question is is it paintable after it sets up? i want to use that because it will be easier than foil to flake off, but i need to weather it when finished and then seal it. any other ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Best way to really find out about the Gold and Silver leaf is try testing it out on a boilerplate model of some sort and see if it has the tear characteristics you want. Pretty ambitious project here, but I know you can pull it off. :o

• 2 weeks later...

quick update. I broke down and ordered the real space opened hatch, so i'm just waiting for that to come in. I have the ring painted the base color orange, and need to add details. Pics to follow soon.

now i really need to figure out that instrument panel so i can button the thing up for painting. i may break down and buy R.S. interior set as well and just use what i have made to enhance what they have. anyway, i hope to have some pics tonight.

Bill

Ok, here are a few pics of my progress. Overall I'm pretty happy with the floatation collar. It still needs details like the hoist rings, handles and the attachment points, but it's getting there. I've also played a little with painting techniques, trying to get the composite look of the underskin. This is just the base/primer coats so it will be mostly covered over, but i think it will work. I used the old trick of spraying throug a pantyhose.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, and any tips or idea are greatly welcomed.

Bill

Edited by niart17

well i caved! i chickened out of scratch building the instrument panel and placed an order for the realspace interior. I am weak.

the set should be here in a couple or weeks :rolleyes: til then i'll play with everything else.

of course, now that i've spent money on the inside, i don't feel right not having it be seen, SOoooo i'm thinking about making the capsule able to be taken apart. it shouldn't be too hard, just have the float ring glued to the lower heat shield and water surface, and one can just pull the top hull off to see the interior.

what do you guys think? too cheesy or hoaky? i won't do it if i can't make it seamless and stable at the same time.

Pics to come.

Thanks,

Bill

Well, it is ultimately your choice. Just don't run out of time as the Apollo capsule interior can be a very detail heavy item and potentially time consuming to build. Although using the Real Space bits will help as they are first rate items.

That was one reason i thought i may do a removable top as well. that way i can "finish" the dio in time for the GB and if i ever decide to go back and add more small interior details to the capsule, it can be accomodated. Just a thought though.

I don't know how long it will take for the R.S. stuff to arrive, i ordered the hatch two weeks ago, and the interior about 3 days ago. hopefully i'll get them in good time. what is your exerience with their delivery speed?

Bill

I don't recall Real Space's deliveries to be particularly prompt. I've ordered a few things from him in the past and about 3 weeks ago ordered the 1/32 Apollo CM interior and hatch too. His website states that we should be prepared for a 2 - 4 week wait.

But, having said that, his quality is worth the wait.

Be patient grasshopper. :whistle:

Pete

Be patient grasshopper. :whistle:

Pete

patience i have, it's time i'm running short of. :D

thanks. if you get your set in before mine, post pics and give me a run down. let me say again, i'm really liking your build as well. coming along great.

Bill

Bill:

The techniques you are using are really excellent! :whistle: I like the way this biuld is coming along. I have the all resin RealSpace Apollo splashdown dio, and I will likely use some of your techniques on that puppy.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

thanks mike. be sure you post some pics of that dio when you get to it. I was curious about that one myself, looks like it could build up really well.

Thanx Bill, for your comments!

And I just got my CSM interior from Real Space, 4 weeks to the day I ordered 'em. And I'm in Canada, so there was probably an additional delay at Customs.

And here's a few pix of 'em. I literally just took 'em outta the box so I haven't scrutinized 'em, but the hatch looks like I'll need to do some clean up on it ...

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...CSMallparts.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...teriorparts.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...Mhatchparts.jpg

Pete

Geez Bill, I apologize for that.

Here's a coupla pix. Giving the hatch a closer look, it's gonna need some TLC ... some smoothing and fixing. But the interior doesn't look too bad. The main instrument panel is nicely detailed, but the tips of the switches are gonna need some help. But, also bearing in mind, it'll be inside, you'd need a scanning electron microscope to see the little flaws anyway.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...Mhatchclose.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rp...teriorparts.jpg

Now, I gotta figger out what's going on with the photobucket links.

And thanx for your comments on my build!

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

well, after a slight setback with the realspace order, i finally got the interior set and hatch. I like the interior set, especially the instrument panel, saves me a TON of hard crazy work. the hatch will take alot more work to come out. it's not a bad piece, it just needs a lot of cleanup. i had started scratching a hatch before this set came in so i may just continue with that one instead. anyway. pics to follow soon as i have something new to shoot.

Bill.

p.s. WoW, on month...oh man have i got some buckling down to do.

Well, just remember what an old grizzled Flight Director used to say...

"Failure is Not An Option!"

Okay, cliche admittedly. But more then a few of us could probably stand to hear those words right now to give us the fire to finish our projects. :thumbsup:

Well, just remember what an old grizzled Flight Director used to say...

"Failure is Not An Option!"

it may not be an option, but unfortunately it's a possibility.

anyway, thanks for all the kind words everyone. here are some more pics. the first few are the realspace interior along with a little detailing from my previous attempt. this is just basic colors i will go back and detail.

interior3.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior.jpg

i also started on a scuba diver. alot more sanding and shaping to make it look right, but it's a start.

scuba1.jpg

and the last are an idea of what can be seen thru the hatch once completed

scuba3.jpg

scuba2.jpg

thanks for checking it out.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few pics for an update. i have done a little on the base, mainly cutting the hole to place the capsule in but i haven't had a chance to take pics of it. these are shots of the mostly completed interior without the seats from a bit ago. not a very good paint job but it mostly won't be seen much. i over did the panels a little on the dark side so they'd show up once inside the capsule.

interiorpaint.jpg

interiorpaint2.jpg

interiorpaint3.jpg

interiorpaint4.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

most of the markings are decals from the scraps box such as missiles from trumpeter kits and such. i used making tape for the velcro squares. i may put a little more of those before i button the whole thing up. in most of the pics i've seen, the interior was covered with those velcro squares.

thanks for the encouragment....now i must go work my bu77 off.

Bill