apollo recovery build

Just don't rush it if you don't have to. Remember a GB is to provide impetus to finish something or inspire others to start something. You don't necessarily have to finish and if you feel it might compromise the work you are doing, then don't wreck it for the sake of us. You are building something very special here and it is looking dang good. I want to see you finish it right rather then trying to do it fast and potentially mess it up. We can't all be K2Pete's afterall. :)

good point guys, thanks for the encouragement. i won't rush to get it done, but i do want to try to finish for the deadline otherwise it may be doomed to "The Pile Of Halfbuilt Kits" where there are waayyy too many occupants as it is.

thanks again for everything.

Bill

hey ... hey ... HEY-Y-Y!!

I didn't know ... to make the deadline I put in a hundre-, ... I mean five hundre-, ... no ... a THOUsand hours ... yeah, that's it, a thousand hours, and I read that the grand prize was gonna be 5 million Quat-loos ... so I spent many an all-nighter trying to git 'er done! Now I think I'll hafta try to sell it to the Canadian Space Agen- ... I mean NAS- ... I mean ... Morgan Fairchild ... yeah, that's it Morgan Fairchild ... ( ... does anybody remember THAT routine?? ... )

So-o-o ... ree-e-e-e! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

All kidding aside, Bill, I've read that the RealSpace interior requires a lot of sanding and filling to make it fit. Did it? (The 1/32 Apollo CSM will be my next project.)

I hope to see your finished project at some point. ... I'll be watching for it! :popcorn:

Pete

yes it does actually require quite a bit of sanding. in my first pic in that last post, you can see where i basically had to grind away the row of boxes at the base of bottom errr back err...front piece. i also should have thinned all of the parts before glueing them to the kit parts faces. i still need to file down the starboard to back joint to get that to fit correctly. in my case, most of the seams around the top and bottom won't be seen, so i'm not too worried, but if i were doing it with the clear parts, it would take alot of sanding to get it nice and smooth. i did have to scratch all the stuff on the port side as that's not in the kit. i believe they made it that way to make it possible to see thru to the interior.

overall, i'm happy with the R.S. interior, but if it weren't for the instrument panel, i would have just scratch all the rest, it's not real complicated. the instrument panel on the other hand...that's a pain in the buttocks.

can't wait to see how your apollo kit comes out.

Bill

Edited by niart17
  • 4 weeks later...

no, i haven't given up, just have a lot of other things going (selling home, daughter's first birthday...yada yada yada.... i hope to get back to it pretty soon.

i have started putting the foil covering on and i think it's coming out decently. i'll have to post pics in the space/sci-fi thread.

you going to start yours soon? i look forward to it.

Bill

I started the Apollo CSM as Apollo 8, did the interior up, got a new hatch from RealSpace (the other one was just a horrid casting) and when I saw how little could be seen from the open hatch ... I lost interest.

However, during that lull, I scratchbuilt a Gemini ATDA, the 'Angry Alligator'.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rpmala/ATDALHS.jpg

So, I'm a little pooped from all this building ... I'm sure I'll get back to the CSM fairly soon.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Yikes! Great ADTA! Thanks for showing! BP

I started the Apollo CSM as Apollo 8, did the interior up, got a new hatch from RealSpace (the other one was just a horrid casting) and when I saw how little could be seen from the open hatch ... I lost interest.

However, during that lull, I scratchbuilt a Gemini ATDA, the 'Angry Alligator'.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x178/rpmala/ATDALHS.jpg

So, I'm a little pooped from all this building ... I'm sure I'll get back to the CSM fairly soon.

Pete