Hawkeye Models Decal Set

Can anyone tell me the quality of Hawkeye model's Australian Army S-70B-9, UH-1D/H, Kiowa ARDU decal set, in 1/72. I want to use them for my 1/72 UH-1H. I have heard good things about Hawkeye before, but just want to check.

Will

Will

I've used plenty of Hawkeye decals and you can get good results from them. You need to be aware that they have a continuous sheet of decal film so cut the decals out as required. The decal film is pretty tough so conforming to big lumps and curves may require a good dose of your chosen solvent. ( i have even used a hair dryer to blast them on :D before)

I hope you get a good result from them.

This is my 1/48 Kiowa using Hawkeye decals.

2006_0721KIOWA20005.jpg

2006_0721KIOWA0005.jpg

2006_0721KIOWA20009.jpg

HTH

:D Nice Kiowa Andrew! Then again, i'm biased 'cause I tend to love anything in Auscam. Really though, great build there!

They sound fine. Actually, I don't knwo if I should buy the decals. Comes in a 4 aircraft set, I'll have to buy the Blackhawk and Kiowa so I can use the other decals. ;)

Thanks

Will

alouette:

What was so-so about the resin?

Not the cleanest moldings and the detail is somewhat soft, but they look the part.

The decals are pretty good. Tony Morgan's very old HH-3 build (pre-decals and conversion sets) is what sold me on doing this aircraft. The Pelican looks pretty good in those Coastie colors.

The resin for both conv kits wasn't clean and had pin holes, also had a size mismatch between l/h & r/h parts...they are useable but need some clean-up and filler.

Any chance of a more detailed play-by-play of what exactly needs to be done to clean up this kit and make it a winner? I'd really appreciate it.

Any chance of a more detailed play-by-play of what exactly needs to be done to clean up this kit and make it a winner? I'd really appreciate it.

More importantly, where can I lay my hands on a 1/72 CH-3! Tot they were all long OOP or is the conv for a SH-3???

I just got my set(s) today. One HH-3F conversion, one HH-65 conversion, and one set of MH-68 decals.

General impressions:

The decals don't look bad at all. I'm not sure how they were printed - maybe ALPS. They sure look like they need a top coat of something before you try to apply them though. I only wish he'd printed the red stripes separately from the Coast Guard emblem - getting a really exact color match on it for the paint job is going to be a bear.

The resin for the HH-3F seemed okay. I didn't notice any egregious pinholes or anything. The HH-65 resin seemed okay, but the two resin exhausts were a little mismatched.

I wonder why Hawkeye (or somebody) doesn't produce an MH-68/A-109 Power conversion for the Revell kit? It doesn't seem like it'd be that terribly hard.

Anyhow, they're decent sets of subjects you won't get anywhere else, says I.