102nd Fighter Wing - End of an Era

It all ended yesterday at around 1430....ending 35 years of alert mission, 21 years of F-15s and 86 years of flying....

2 very quick edits from yesterday - they did a simulated scramble which was neat to watch. Lotsa brass there, guys from NORAD, 1st AF etc. As usual, lighting went bad.

I have loads more photos to edit - from the alert barn scramble, to take off, more high-speed passes, and taxiing back under the fire truck sprays.

Burlington, Vermont is now doing the alert mission until Westfield/Barnes 104th FW comes online

If any of you guys get the Boston Globe, Friday's paper has a picture of my son and wife in the 2nd section of the front page article. He is Mr. Serious in the bright jacket, and my wife has the camera to her face.

here's a TV report

http://wbztv.com/local/Otis.Air.Base.2.637362.html

"KIMO", wing commander and pilot for my F-15 flight

F-15C_780520_KFMH_24Jan2008_KenMiddleton_DSC_2170.jpg

"Nasty", one of the first 2 over NYC on 9/11

F-15C_780508_KFMH_24Jan2008_KenMiddleton_DSC_2181.jpg

Ken,

It'll be the same with the 131st here in STL later this year.

It's going to be strange to be here at work and not see the air guard flying around anymore. Unfortunetely we don't have enough company flights to make up for it.

-G-

Ken,

It's going to be strange to be here at work and not see the air guard flying around anymore. Unfortunetely we don't have enough company flights to make up for it.

-G-

Jeff, it is a shame. The 131st has had some rough roads, or shall I say, skies, lately

GREAT shots Ken! Wish I coulda been there, I just talked to "Pshyco" this morning, he flew another Eagle to AMARC yesterday, and he said it was a sad day for Otis, but a new beginning at Barnes. Anyway, hope to see ya up there in the near future. Rich.

GREAT shots Ken! Wish I coulda been there, I just talked to "Pshyco" this morning, he flew another Eagle to AMARC yesterday, and he said it was a sad day for Otis, but a new beginning at Barnes. Anyway, hope to see ya up there in the near future. Rich.

Thanks Rich! I saw Psycho's name on the flight board in Ops with AMARC as a destination

Now, THAT is a fly-by!! :banana: Fantastic shot Ken. Bet it sounded good too!

Hopefully this airplane will be preserved.

Chappie

thanks Chappie - we have a video of these passes and the photo doesn't do it justice. This jet is headed to Barnes as the Minuteman emblem was removed from the top of the tail, but MA code was intact.

Amazing photos of a sad day. Thanks for posting them.

thanks David

Ken,

-G-

You have any idea when the 131st shuts down? I lived very close to the airport from 87 until 04 and spent much time watching MoAng F-4s and F-15s. I'm in KC now but everytime I come home I peek at '338 on its post and look up hoping to catch a 15 taking off or landing. Hopefully I'll be able to be in town when the 131 has its last day.

Nice shots Ken.

The Eagles leaving feels like losing an old friend. I moved to the cape in early 1987 when i was just 3 and a half years old. I can remember all those days and nights going to the landing strip on Rt 130 in Mashpee with my dad. We would park off the road and hike up the hill where the landing lights are and watch the F-15's fly right over us on aproach. It was like a free airshow anytime we wanted. Some of my favorite memories were those jets and their awesome sound. I think it's easy to say that without the 102 FW, I wouldn't be the same person.

Edited by Cool Hand
Hey Ken, Awesome shots. Bravo Zulu! You didn't by any chance shoot these in RAW format did you?

thanks Fuji! Unfortunately, not RAW. I am going through them right now and I think I have some better ones

Very cool low pass there by the Eagle. Very clear and sharp pic Ken.

thanks Richard

Nice shots Ken.

The Eagles leaving feels like losing an old friend. I moved to the cape in early 1987 when i was just 3 and a half years old. I can remember all those days and nights going to the landing strip on Rt 130 in Mashpee with my dad. We would park off the road and hike up the hill where the landing lights are and watch the F-15's fly right over us on aproach. It was like a free airshow anytime we wanted. Some of my favorite memories were those jets and their awesome sound. I think it's easy to say that without the 102 FW, I wouldn't be the same person.

thanks a lot! There are a lot of people expressing the same as you as I read different things today. Nice avatar as well :salute:

Ken,

Man! What awesome shots!!!

Must've been a tough day for you. Sorry to see them go.

Thanks for sharing these, and excellent job on the pics!

Craig

thanks a lot Craig. It is/was tough on the people in the unit, but they are a classy bunch and will persevere