F8E - Wing up or down?

Hi everybody,

Working on an F8 and my references are packed away so here I am asking. The F8 wing adjusted up for take off and landing only. Usually it was solidly attached to fuselage like any other plane? The slats and flaps were interconnected to the wing position - right? So they were down only when the wing was up? A parked F8 would usually have the wing down?

Thanks,

Clarence

Hi everybody,

Working on an F8 and my references are packed away so here I am asking. The F8 wing adjusted up for take off and landing only. Usually it was solidly attached to fuselage like any other plane? The slats and flaps were interconnected to the wing position - right? So they were down only when the wing was up? A parked F8 would usually have the wing down?

Thanks,

Clarence

Most Crusaders I have pix of on the ground have the wings up

Most Crusaders I have pix of on the ground have the wings up

Yes the wing and the flaps/slats were interconected. If the wing is up the other bits are down.

When parked the wing can be up or down I have pics of both. Generally if the wings are folded then the main wing is on the down posistion, but not always.

Julien

Blapmodels has the wing for the raised position with flaps done for the F-8E. VERY nice moulding, no bubbles.

Masterd by my buddy in London, and Casted by another buddy in London!

(There is a review of it on modelingmadness)

Cheers

W.

I made this little sheet...

Hopefully the text will be readable. I was trying to break it down for model manufacturers who might be considering kit design and cost.

Pete

Good reference Pete! Thanks for sharing that.

Only one thing to add would be the doubles on the F-8E(FN) and F-8J.

From the F-8K/L Flight Manual

BEFORE SHUTDOWN IN CHOCKS

1. Wing incidence - DOWN

Wing wheels/droop light should flash.

2. Cruise droop switch - IN, DROOPS INDICATOR UP

3. Seat safety pins - INSTALL

Pilot always installs the face curtain pin, the lower

ejection handle pin and the emergency restraint

release pin prior to egress. If at a field other than

home base, he must ensure that the remaining pins

are installed also.

4. Wings -- FOLD, OR LEAVE SPREAD AS DIRECTED

Without giving my age away, I recall in the seventies reading an old 'Flight' magazine that had an article about an F-8 flying from a ground base in Italy. After take-off the pilot reported the plane was not responding very well - just as the controllers were radioing him to ask if he was aware that he had taken off with wings still folded!!!

Extremely emabarrased, the pilot flew a circuit and landed safely, much to the amusement of the Italians on the ground.

I wish I still had the article as the photos were gems!!

Without giving my age away, I recall in the seventies reading an old 'Flight' magazine that had an article about an F-8 flying from a ground base in Italy. After take-off the pilot reported the plane was not responding very well - just as the controllers were radioing him to ask if he was aware that he had taken off with wings still folded!!!

Extremely emabarrased, the pilot flew a circuit and landed safely, much to the amusement of the Italians on the ground.

I wish I still had the article as the photos were gems!!

First Jet To Take Off With Folded Wings [a Spad was apparently launched from a carrier at night during the Korean Conflict, recovered at a shorebase!] - 2 August 1960, Capodichino Airport, Naples, Italy

This is not from that event

http://www.vmf235.com/f8_wingsfolded.jpg

I've seen pictures of a F-8 on the ground with the wing raised and the flaps down. Might have just bled down? That is a true story of a F-8 taking off with the wings folded. Think it happened twice.

Chuck

FWIW

I believe in the book Crusader! last of the gunfighters by Adm Paul Gilcrist that there has been eight recorded incidents of the F-8 taking off/flying with the wing(s) folded. When I was in A-7's we had a jet come back one night and catch a three wire with the port wing folded. Pilot (the XO) said that if folder right after launch so he just flew around and dumped gas until it was time to come back aboard. Looked kind of freaky but he said it handled like it had an additional rudder.

Reddog :)

• 3 months later...
Blapmodels has the wing for the raised position with flaps done for the F-8E. VERY nice moulding, no bubbles.

Masterd by my buddy in London, and Casted by another buddy in London!

(There is a review of it on modelingmadness)

Cheers

W.

Are the BLAP wings still available? I was on their website and saw them listed, but not sure when it was updated. I am really thinking about getting a set.

The F8 wing adjusted up for take off and landing only. Usually it was solidly attached to fuselage like any other plane?

Just a note, I believe the variable incidence wing was up for landing only. It was down for takeoff.

Wolfpack do a good wing fold and other parts for the F-8

Julien

I have one set of those on order and can't wait until they get here. However, I had another F-8 that I would like to make with the wings extended and those Blapmodels wings look really good.

Just a note, I believe the variable incidence wing was up for landing only. It was down for takeoff.

Post from Superheat. Given how many hours he had flying the F-8, I would tend to take his word for it.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

I have a photocopy somewhere of an article about the "no wings flyers", i think it mensioned 8 F-8's, one A-7 and one F-4 that had at that time flown with folded wings and made it safe home. The F-8 and F-4 were said to be not too difficult to fly with folded wings but the A-7 were said to be almost unmanouverable with folded wings.

Are the BLAP wings still available? I was on their website and saw them listed, but not sure when it was updated. I am really thinking about getting a set.

Just got an email from Blap!Models confirming that the wing is still available....Now, to raise the funds... :tumble: