Hello,

I am planning to build a diorama similar to one of the scenes from the movie Black Hawk Down. I was planning to use the 1/72 Italeri MH-60K Nighthawk but since I can't found any I'm planning to use a 1/72 Pave Hawk. But there is one problem, several forum's say that there are no 1/72 Pave Hawk’s but I heard some rumors that the Hasegawa HH-60D really a MH-60G is... is this true? And which kit has better detail the Hasegawa UH-60 or the Hasegawa HH-60D?

Take care,

Rick

The aircraft used in the Somalia Operation were converted UH-60A/L aircraft. Some additional parts put on them, the radar, the FLIR, the missile sensors, made them MH-60Ls. The Italeri MH-60K would only be useful because it would give you the basic UH-60 to work with. The nose is totally wrong, but you could use the kit as the basic start point. What you want is a 1/72nd scale MH-60L, and AFAIK that has not been kitted. Revell did it in 1/48th so you might want to check and see if they did it in the smaller scale. So any basic UH-60 that has the exhaust suppressors would be the place to start. You're basically going to have to cobble together what you want from there. The HH-60D never really got fielded as such, but the HH-60D is what the MH-60G started out as. So yes, they are the same aircraft the difference being only one of the designations became the operational aircraft.

Chief Snake

The reason that Italieri is suggested as a start point is that the Italieri Blackhawk in 1/72 is the only kit that provides the exhaust suppressors that I recall. No other 1/72 kits have the suppressor exhausts to the best of my recollection. HTH

:banana:

Bruce

The reason that Italieri is suggested as a start point is that the Italieri Blackhawk in 1/72 is the only kit that provides the exhaust suppressors that I recall. No other 1/72 kits have the suppressor exhausts to the best of my recollection. HTH

:)

Bruce

There are some other Italeri UH-60 kits that had "desert" paint schemes. Check them out as they my have the suppressor exhausts too. 1/72nd scale is not my strong point,but for sure the MH-60K has them in it. I've purchased them cheaply at model swap meets and ebay. I was going to make a good MH-60K conversion but the kits just seemed to show up a lot and few people made any remarks about wanting one done. So I have not made any progress in that direction.

Some of the Hasegawa kits like the HH-60H have the exhausts in them. So using the parts from two kits might get what you need. But, how much are willing to spend, how much time do you have to shop around and how confident are you with making the adaptions?

Chief Snake

The HH-60D never really got fielded as such, but the HH-60D is what the MH-60G started out as. So yes, they are the same aircraft the difference being only one of the designations became the operational aircraft.

Yes and no. The MH-60G (now HH-60G) Pave Hawk never got to the level of modification that the HH-60D was originally planned for. The HH-60D was to have Terrain Following/Terrain Avoidance radar, sponsons with fixed-forward miniguns, Stinger AAMs and a few other bells and whistles. But the HH-60D was deemed to be too expensive and was downgraded twice (HH-60E standard, then HH-60A standard) before being shelved completely. The USAF started off with UH-60As (later UH-60Ls) and started modding them over the years into the Pave Hawk standard. The HH-60D that flew was actually a prototype and was a D in name only; it was closer to the proposed HH-60A standard.

Hasegawa released an MH-60G kit years ago that was the HH-60D kit repackaged but with a white metal radome in the offset position. The instructions guided the builder to omit the ESSS wings (these are never used on Pave Hawks) and you could build a very early (circa late 80s/early 90s) MH-60G. Neither kit includes the exhaust suppressors. To make it more up to date, you'll have to do some scratchbuilding and are probably better off starting with the Italeri kit.

But for the purposes of modeling 1:72 H-60s, yes, both the Hasegawa HH-60D and MH-60G kits are UH-60A kits with USAF markings and a few extra parts, none of which will help you build a 1:72 MH-60L (unless the MH-60G kit comes with the larger tail).

The Italeri MH-60K kit is also a re-package of the 1:72 Italeri UH-60 kit with extra parts to build the Kilo. I do know it comes with the larger tail plane, but as Chief Snake said, you'll have to cobble together parts to build it as an MH-60L.

Well unfortunately I don't have the Hobby Boss UH-60A kit so I need something else to make the FLIR, nose-radar and plume detectors... Also does any one have an idea how to make the internal fuel tank?

Take care,

Rick

Styrene sheets and dental floss, although a thick foil would probably work better and that's what I will use when I do version 2. That's how I did mine...

Here are some of the additions I did to my 1/72nd MH-60K that will be in the diorama (here)

DSCN3300.jpg

IFRboomunpainted.jpg

IFRextended.jpg

antennaextension.jpg

Hth,

Austin

Oh, also check out J.C. Bahr's article on his awesome MH-60L DAP. It's pretty sweet. He explains how he does his nose FLIR and his nose radar.

MH;

One of the things left over from a recent kitbash are the HH-60D parts (the external pylons and fuel tanks, and refueling probe) from the Fujimi HH-60. If they'll help you out, they're yours for the asking.

And if not you, anybody else - all they'll do is sit in my spares box forever if someone doesn't take them.

Edited by Dr. Tran

The MH-60G/HH-60G does not use the ESSS wings and tanks. Pave Hawks have an internal fuel tank and are capable of refueling from an HC-130 tanker or even a USMC KC-130 and have no need for external fuel tanks. Plus, the ESSS system severely limits the gunners' field of fire.