Messiah Spacecraft from Deep Impact

13.jpg

14.jpg

04.jpg

Guys, does any of you considered building a model of this for yourself? :P

I, and many of the members at cardmodels.net forums are planning to design a card model of this one, since many of the big pieces of this fictional spacecraft are already made by our folks at cardmodels.net forums when they designed their real space rockets... like the shuttle, and its ET, the 2 Ariane V SRBs, and the Energia strap-on boosters :coolio:

besides modifying these parts to fit the ship, I also need some 3 view illustrations if there's one available to construct the Orion nuclear rocket... and also some drawings for the lander, so that I can modify the shuttle's forward section... ;)

if and when we can finish this is still a long ways away, but when we get it done, I'll post the link for the model parts for you guys so that you can make this model using the parts as styrene templates...

thanks for any help guys!!! :salute:

I've yet to see any three view drawings of this thing. Screen caps are about all there is out there for it. I wish you luck in this project as I have wanted to do a Messiah model for sometime myself and have been stopped by a lack of research as well. Only new images I have found were in a documentary DVD called "The Sci Fi Boys" as a couple artists at ILM were interviewed and the Messiah studio model was hanging over their heads. But there weren't any good views of the Orion section in it as most of the shots were of the front of the craft rather then the rear section.

Oh I see... what a bummer...

I agree that most Messiah shots were from the front... But my special edition DVD of the film here do feature some drawings of the lander as well as the studio model with the top view exposed, but that was too small to pick out any details...

But I can clearly remember there was that sequence in the film, the one where the whole ship was shown at a semi top view, during the departure of Messiah from earth orbit, just right before the crew ignite the nuclear rocket... also, thre were scenes from the film where the back side was very much exposed to the audience...

plus there's that clip the MSNBC flashed during their airing of the mission in the film where a computer diagram was shown, and the ship was in top view...

Um, sir, if you have that documentary DVD, could you provide some screenshots? that could prove to be helpful...

When we finally start this porject and finish it hopefully we will distribute the parts for free for everyone to enjoy...

thanks sir!!!

Edited by Hans

When I saw that movie first. I thought to myself ..........it would be cool to make that into a model. I'm in the same boat with you when it came to finding any reference on the Messiah Spacecraft. I was thinking about starting with a 1/144 space shuttle and then, go crazy. Maybe I'll still do something like that in future. Just my own version of Messiah :whistle:

Mike

The one commitment that I have right now that's holding me back from starting this is my thesis...

But once that's done next week, I'll review the film again to get those extra screenshots and the concept drawings included in the special features videos of the DVD...

The one commitment that I have right now that's holding me back from starting this is my thesis...

But once that's done next week, I'll review the film again to get those extra screenshots and the concept drawings included in the special features videos of the DVD...

I might just have to get your paper model to build this spacecraft for my collection :woo:

My choice would be 1/144. Reason being is that one could incorporate plastic shuttle kit parts into it if they so desired and potentially Energia boosters as well. Granted it would be possible to do that in 1/100 with the Tamiya shuttle, but the thing would be freaking HUGE!!! As to how huge, well assuming it were done in 1/96 scale, then the Messiah would probably be longer then a Revell Saturn V model.

I think 1/96 would be the prime choice since most of our card model spacecraft is in that scale, and if one wants a smaller one, they can just resize it...

I'm also betting that when this is done, somebody who's insane enough in our forums (they are plenty of them) would build it either supersized (1/48-up) or microsized (1/400-down)

Edited by Hans