Why Hasegawa hasn't come up with the F-8C yet?

And I don't want to go all-out getting all the conversions and then they decided to release it... It happened to me on the 1/48 RF-4E before, now my Black Box conversion is sitting idle somewhere... :) :)

Surely C model would sell just as good as the E or J kit right?

I'd love a Charlie model and the recce version. I especially want to build the Sundowners MiG Killer and a Cuban Missle Crisis RF-8A.

Chappie

Which decal set covers the MiG Killer? Aeromaster or Cutting Edge? Or they do the same jet? :doh:

That's precisely what I want to build - have been looking around the markings. The problem is the Conversion part - got all the complete Aires detail for the E, but now I need to get a C cockpit. And the only conversion around is Cutting Edge and I don't seem to see anyone carrying that set other than CE themselves... Or would simply doing your own conversion is not that hard at all?

C'mon Hasegawa - Get the C out now PUHLEASE!

Cheers,

Lawrence

Going all out and getting all the conversions wouldn't solve the problem anyways. You are still faced with having to modify the forward windscreen and this involves cutting the front pane completely out and replacing it. If someone would just make a vac or clear resin one we would all be good to go.

Tom

Which decal set covers the MiG Killer? Aeromaster or Cutting Edge? Or they do the same jet? :doh:

That's precisely what I want to build - have been looking around the markings. The problem is the Conversion part - got all the complete Aires detail for the E, but now I need to get a C cockpit. And the only conversion around is Cutting Edge and I don't seem to see anyone carrying that set other than CE themselves... Or would simply doing your own conversion is not that hard at all?

C'mon Hasegawa - Get the C out now PUHLEASE!

Cheers,

Lawrence

The Sundowners MiG Killer is on sheet CED48211 and this matches up with the Osprey book. The other F-8 MiG Killer sheet, CED48212, has major errors in pilots names, and BuNos. If Hasegawa dose not do a Charlie model soon, I'll get the CE conversion. I've never had ordering problems.

Don't know if you know this or not, but there were 5 F-8C MiG Killers- 1 from VF-111 and 4 from VF-24. I have a great book on the F-8 that even gives the loadouts for a majority of the MiG Killers. I had never heard of the radar-guided AIM-9C until I read that book!

I've put in a request for F-8 MiG Killers on the FoxOne thread. :woot.gif:

Chappie

I believe Aeromaster also has the MiG killer scheme, although I cannot vouch for it's accuracy

Someone else solved the windscreen issue by putting shims in between the resin nose halves. While it may not be totally correct, it eliminated the step between the narrower nose and the styrene fuselage and also eliminated the windscreen issue

I believe Aeromaster also has the MiG killer scheme, although I cannot vouch for it's accuracy

Someone else solved the windscreen issue by putting shims in between the resin nose halves. While it may not be totally correct, it eliminated the step between the narrower nose and the styrene fuselage and also eliminated the windscreen issue

I am not sure what you mean by "eliminated the windscreen issue." Without the IR dome you are left with a square hole on the lower portion of the windscreen as that area was metal. I don't even think you could just fill it in with something "clear" and blend it in so that it appears seamless. IMO, you would have to either have a new forward windscreen or cut out the kit center pane and scratch a new one, carefully shaping and gluing in place.

Some advice if I may BEFORE you cut the kit center wing section out to do a C model. Take a serious look at cutting/sanding away the kit Bullpup hump plastic as the resin replacement is too high, IF you plan on showing wings lowered as in my case. I had to resort to a lot of sanding so that it matched up to the kit fuselage height. If you are doing wings raised then it's not an issue. If you do cut away the kit plastic there will be a hole to fill and reshape. Either way it's work but you at least won't have to cut the wings and deal with fit there either. If you mess it up you always have the resin parts for backup. HTH.

Tom

Got a few F-8 sheets in the plans. Just need a little more info on the VF-24 Mig Killers and a waiting on some VF-111 info. Anyone that has material to contribute, please don't hesitate!

BTW, The VF-24 Mig Killer squadron plaque plates were entrusted to me when the squadron dis-established and currently reside in my collection!

-brian

Thanks for the information guys! Looks like it's tricky to perform the conversion on the airframe by yourself - judging from the build. But still do-able, not for the faint-hearted. Is the C nose THAT narrow - I'm surprised CE didn't include the front of the Canopy since the kit's wouldn't fit anyway?

I'll try to get the MiG killer decals when I get the chance. The sun burst markings are just too bright that I gotta put some shades one! :D

Cheers,

Lawrence

Here's a little preview of something I've been working on:

P1010027.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010001.jpg

They're masters for an early model crusader conversion that I was working on for 3rd Wire, but with the current state of affairs with the company, I'll probably have to find some other biz to add them to their catalog. If anyone's interested, drop me a line.

The sets were mastered with a ton of help from Superheat, a former Crusader driver and expert of everything involving the last of the gunfighters.

Brian, I promise my first born to you if you release some Crusader sheets!

Thomas

Wow looking good there Thomas.

I would definatly be up for about 6 of those Crusader noses if anyone is going to do them.

I have 2 Cobra sets for the F-8C + VF-84 decals, and 3 C&H sets for the RF-8. None of these sets does a correct nose, so it will mean sanding etc to get it right.

For those looking Albatross did a sheet with some French Crusaders on that had a set for an RF-8A during the Cuban Crisis.

Julien

ps. Superheat is "da man" when it comes to this sort of thing, his pics helped me get the nose right when I did my 1/72 F-8C a while ago.

Edited by Julien (UK)
So if I get this right - the windshield of the A-D models was actually narrower than on the E models - in addition to the centre panel having a larger transparent area?

Jens

Looking good, Thomas! :woot.gif: Hope you'll find a good company to carry this product soon! I'd be eager to get a set for me SunDowner!

Btw, I realised some VF-111 C models have a bag of mixed parts - Bull hump on the back (like the E), and what looked like a base for the probe in front of the canopy. But the nose looked like a regular early type.

The BuNos are 147054 and 148703. Both with "AJ" on the fin. Are these regular C models?

Cheers,

Lawrence

Looking good, Thomas! :woot.gif: Hope you'll find a good company to carry this product soon! I'd be eager to get a set for me SunDowner!

Btw, I realised some VF-111 C models have a bag of mixed parts - Bull hump on the back (like the E), and what looked like a base for the probe in front of the canopy. But the nose looked like a regular early type.

The BuNos are 147054 and 148703. Both with "AJ" on the fin. Are these regular C models?

Cheers,

Lawrence

Sounds like F-8H's to me.

Koen

Here's a little preview of something I've been working on:

P1010027.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010001.jpg

They're masters for an early model crusader conversion that I was working on for 3rd Wire, but with the current state of affairs with the company, I'll probably have to find some other biz to add them to their catalog. If anyone's interested, drop me a line.

The sets were mastered with a ton of help from Superheat, a former Crusader driver and expert of everything involving the last of the gunfighters.

Brian, I promise my first born to you if you release some Crusader sheets!

Thomas

These look pretty awesome, I'd talk to Mike Reeves or WolfPack Designs, I'd buy a set or two.

Looking good, Thomas! :woo: Hope you'll find a good company to carry this product soon! I'd be eager to get a set for me SunDowner!

Cheers,

Lawrence

Those are F-8Hs, F-8Ds that were upgraded.

Got a few F-8 sheets in the plans. Just need a little more info on the VF-24 Mig Killers and a waiting on some VF-111 info. Anyone that has material to contribute, please don't hesitate!

BTW, The VF-24 Mig Killer squadron plaque plates were entrusted to me when the squadron dis-established and currently reside in my collection!

-brian

Count me in for some SunDowner markings. Nargi's MiG killer and maybe Tooter Teague's jet. Hoser Satrapa's aircraft is a MUST!