Recon GB Air Tasking Order

Welcome to the ARC Reconnaissance Aircraft Group Build! Here are your mission orders:

The ARC “Eyes in the Sky†Reconnaissance Aircraft Group Build

Mission Time: 1 Feb 08 – 1 Aug 08

Mission Summary:

This GB is dedicated to the airborne Recce community who risk their lives gathering intelligence for their countries, many times flying into areas others fear to tread “alone, unarmed, and unafraid†and the special machines that carry them.

Mission Rules of Engagement:

1. This GB is open to powered recce aircraft from all eras. Prop and/or jet. Unmanned drones (e.g. Global Hawk) are also allowed. The focus of the GB is on aircraft made for intelligence gathering purposes

as opposed to other aircraft types that may perform an occasional recon mission. Examples of the latter, which are not eligible, may include AWACS/AEW, maritime patrol, and EW (jamming) aircraft. Although they may contain sensors that perform some surveillance functions, they have primary missions other than intelligence gathering.

2. Approved aircraft types may be purpose built or converted, and should carry at least part of their reconnaissance equipment inside or on the airframe. Generally, reconnaissance aircraft have a specific designation that sets them apart from other versions of the same aircraft (e.g. RF-4 vs. F-4)

3. Reconnaissance equipment may be optical or electronic (i.e. ELINT/SIGINT aircraft), but should be some type of specific equipment (i.e. the main “sensor†is something other than the Mk. 1 Eyeball). Limited exceptions may be made for WW1 aircraft generally considered as observation types such as AEGs. By WW2, reconnaissance aircraft generally carried cameras.

4. Aircraft with interchangeable noses such as F/A-18 ATARS and RF-5 are allowed as long as they are built with the sensor packages and configured as they would be for a reconnaissance mission.

5. Aircraft which primarily perform other missions such as a fighter or attack and lack built-in sensors, but may occasionally perform a recon mission by attaching a removable external pod to a standard stores station are generally not eligible. Exceptions to the “no external pod†rule are as follows:

A. Aircraft such as the MiG-21R which carry their main sensors in a large external pod as OK as they are generally considered specific reconnaissance versions and mainly used for that purpose. They must be shown configured for the reconnaissance mission (i.e. carrying the pod).

B. Aircraft assigned to groups or squadrons that have a primary reconnaissance mission are also OK. An example would be GAF Tornados assigned to AG 51 and carrying a reconnaissance pod.

6. Aircraft should be built as configured for a primary reconnaissance mission. In keeping with the spirit of the original “unarmed†concept, external weapons should be limited to self-defense weapons only.

7. No what-ifs. There are a lot of real choices available. However, prototype reconnaissance aircraft are OK provided that 1) they actually flew and 2) they are built in the markings and color scheme that they wore during their flights.

8. The moderator(s) have the discretion to determine eligibility of a particular subject. If there is a question of eligibility, please ask the GB mod(s) for clarification.

9. Aircraft submitted for the GB should be no more than 25% complete at the starting date of the GB (February 1, 2008). Please note that this allowance is mainly for those who have started something at one time, but shelved it. It is not meant for someone to deliberately get a head start on the GB and cross the starting line with a lead.

10. Aircraft entered in this GB may also be entered in other GBs (subject to the rules of the other GBs) provided that they meet the time and starting percentage of the Recon GB (i.e. not more than 25% complete by 1 Feb 08 and finished by 1 Aug 08)

I understand that item #5 may be controversial, but the focus of the GB is explained in item #1, namely that this a build mainly for aircraft that are designed or modified for reconnaissance purposes, not for other types of aircraft that may perform the occasional recon misssion, but most of the time perform other duties.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Dave

Edited by Dave Williams
  • 4 weeks later...
Dave- What about Observation type designation like the OV-10 or the OV-1 as these aircraft were real time recon. (I have the Roden OV-1A That I want to build.)

Funnily enough, I want to build this too. And I was just wondering whether the JOV-1A might be allowed even though the Army beefed up the armament for this version. The OV-1A is still a cool a/c, but it looks even better with a rocket or two strapped onto it.

Looking forward to hear what you'll permit.

I think only the OV-1 versions with the SLAR would be allowed. The other versions of the Mohawk, even though they could carry a camera are, in my mind, primarily observation types just like the WW2 Storch and Owl that used the Mk. 1 eyeball as the main sensor. I think the Bronco fits into the same observation category.

• 2 months later...
Would a Blohm & Voss BV 141 be OK for the GB as the Germans used this for tactical recon?

Cheers,

Julien

Same as the Storch and Fw189 Uhu as discussed above. During WW2, if it didn't have a camera installation, it's not considered a recon aircraft for this GB.