I have said Testors 1/32 F-117...not being anything remotely resembling an expert on the subject, can't say much more than its big and black, and it looks like an F-117 to my untrained eye. If you want sprue shots or anything like that, let me know..

Hi, I do not think I can call myself either, however what I have heard is that the kit is far from being perfect but it looks like one and I want to build it one day. There is a huge Flightpath set for it including some airframe update, cockpitt and bomb bay detail

Hope it helps a bit

Jozef from Slovakia

F-117006.jpg

F-117013.jpg

F-117014.jpg

F-117015.jpg

The clear parts are flat sections that are glued into the canopy framing - I think I like this feature....we'll see when I get around to building it. It also comes with 2 rattle cans - 1 black, 1 clear flat, a selection of enamels, and some tube glue and paint brushes. I've had this kit for at least 10 years along with a Testors "Value Pack" 1/48 F-4G Phantom and F/A-18 Hornet

Unfortunately I've "misplaced" the instructions - I have a real bad habit of doing that...they may turn up in another box somewhere, but I'm not hopeful.. :cheers:

Edited by damo

The majority of F-117s in all scales suffer from the fact that the companies rushed them out before the complete picture of their exterior and bomb bay features were fully known. So except for one kit, practically all of them have some inaccuracies. The only one that doesn't (or at least no noticeable ones) is the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit as it was issued after the plane had been in the public eye for a few years and Tamiya had better resources to draw upon.

Edited by Jay Chladek
The majority of F-117s in all scales suffer from the fact that the companies rushed them out before the complete picture of their exterior and bomb bay features were fully known. So except for one kit, practically all of them have some inaccuracies. The only one that doesn't (or at least no noticeable ones) is the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit as it was issued after the plane had been in the public eye for a few years and Tamiya had better resources to draw upon.

Yes, Tamiya's F-117 is a gorgeous kit. Highly recommended! The only gripe I had with it, really, was that while some parts were molded in white, and the rest in black (save for the tinted clear canopy and FLIR window), some parts that needed to be white were on the black sprue. Made painting a pain in the neck but not unworkable and most definitely not a deal-breaker. I'd almost be willing to get another to replace the first (sold it a few years ago).

Testors 1/32 F-117: Wrong shapes everywhere. Intakes are raked back at an extreme streamlined angle instead of a correct, more flat to the relative wind position; bomb bay doors open out instead of inward (correctable); underside of wing is not quite right; canopy needs way more sawtooth edges than as molded (correctable); cockpit needs help,; the FLIP ahead of the cockpit needs a fine mesh screen to look through, not the solid glass in the kit; etc.

On the plus side, it is a fairly easy build. Won my first ever trophy with it, so I like it for sentimental reasons.

Rick L.

This one can be conquered. Rick L. has named the corrections that need to be made. The good news is that Flightpath has a set that takes care of just about all items plus improves more. Go here:

http://home.clara.net/djparkins/fltpath/fp32g_f117.htm

Of course it'll set you back ~$75.

Rick in Maine

This one can be conquered. Rick L. has named the corrections that need to be made. The good news is that Flightpath has a set that takes care of just about all items plus improves more. Go here:

http://home.clara.net/djparkins/fltpath/fp32g_f117.htm

Of course it'll set you back ~$75.

Rick in Maine

...but will it fix everything?

I'm thinking I need to pick up a Tamiya 1/48th scale kit. Whats a good price to pay?

Last question would be to go Grey or Black?

if approached by the temptation to build the Testors 1/32 F-117 kit, run away. Run far away.

I'm one of the few people who actually enjoy building the ill fitting and poorly detailed traditional Testors kits, but this one just was a nightmare for me. Poor fit everywhere, warpage, poor detail, weak landing gear, etc... I finished mine years ago, and eventually took a hammer to it to clear shelf space.

It has big enough shape issues that a mere photo-etch set couldn't possibly correct it.

Sink-marks gallore, very basic details.

The fit and warpage can be overcome with patience, putty and skill and a little more putty.

Unfortunately it's the only game in town...

It may not be very accurate, but you won't mistake it for anything but an F-117...

117(32).jpg

:taunt:

• 1 year later...

As the one who "promoted" the Flightpath set way back in this thread, I'll still stand by it for it's ability to turn an early release F-117 into a pretty accurate production model. And, it IS a lot of work. The result is "close enough" that the general public will have no doubt which airplane it is IMHO.

Much less work and closest to accurate right out of the box is the oft-recommended 1/48 Tamiya, followed by Monogram.

Carrey, nice job on your big one.

I wonder of Eddie ever built his.

Rick in Maine