Hobby Boss 1/48 scale F/A-18C Hornet VMFA-314

Kick-butt job on that camo. I thought the splinter Viggens were bad!

Is the knight's helmet between the "VMFA" and the "314" and lance handguard yet to be applied?

Edited after exercise in reading comprehension!

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
  • 4 weeks later...

As the other guys have said Phil, that is one outstanding job you have done on that Hornet!!!

I couldn't comprehend even attempting that paintjob let alone doing it as superbly as you have done.

Excellent. :woot.gif:

Cheers,

Jeff.

• 4 years later...

Sir, as someone who knows the man who spearheaded that paint scheme, and then myself maintained it in later years:

This is one of the most beautiful renditions of A/C "Nuts" (as we term our "00" A/C in my line of work) I've seen.

I stumbled across this while researching my first squadron (-314) in the Vietnam War. I've got a 1/32nd Academy Charlie that I've been wanting to replicate in this pattern.

For frame of reference it took 6-8 painters in Corrosion Control 4-6 months to paint up Nuts in that scheme. One chunk of the body or one surface (after it was removed) at a time. Too bad the scale is too small SSgt (Now MSgt) Maxon would probably be surprised people take in an interest in modelling the scheme and see his and the other Marines' names even on the models (aft NLG door has the names of the Marines who painted it).

But I am sad to report that about 4 years ago VMFA-314 transitioned from Charlies to Alpha+'s (now Alpha++'s, more avionics overhauls and the ability to mount the -402 vice the -400 engines). Due to the fact that Navy and boat-going Marine squadrons needed jets in shape for Carrier Life. So Nuts went to NADEP North Island and was not only overhauled but stripped and painted up regulation. They have not since replicated the pattern.

Again, excellent work!

~VMFA-314 Airframes 2006-2008