U-2F 1/48 Hawk U-2A + CE goodies

Step 1: get all of the stuff together. I'm on the fence about using the seamless intakes. Because they are the original narrow intakes, it looks like they will be pretty difficult to paint the insides when they are 1 piece, and you can't see very deep inside the intake anyway, so I'm not sure you could even see the compressor face that the set provides.

U2_start1.jpg

I'll be watching this one with interest. i have one of the Hawk kits in the stash along with a bunch of the same resin. If you have a 1/48 scale F-104 kit in your stash, try mating one of the fuselage halves to a U-2 half. Even considering that the U-2 is derivative of the Zipper, it's stunning how close the two designs are to each other. Best of luck with your build!

:blink:

A little more work today. Removing the resin stuff from the casting blocks and fitting them inside the fuselage halves. It's a little tricky as there are no locators, so you just butt join the parts against the fuselage. The only points of contact for the front wheel well and rear well/exhaust is the plastic around the well openings in the fuselage, which isn't much at all. I used some blobs Blu-Tack to hold the parts in position while I test fit the fuselage halves together to check the fit and then used thick super glue to glue the parts to one of the halves.

U2_4.jpg

U2_3.jpg

U2_2.jpg

U2_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Looking good, I have this set so looking forward to some tips :)

One question, I thought early U-2 Pits were black not grey?

Julien

I spent some time looking around before settling on grey. I can find plenty of cockpit shots of the 2nd generation U-2s, but not so much of the earlier ones. I based my colors on a photo of an early U-2 cockpit in the Squadron In Action book and it definitely wasn't all black. The photo was in black and white and I assume that the main cockpit color is grey. I also found these on the web.

http://uscockpits.com/Special%20Mission/U-...Dragonlady2.JPG

http://uscockpits.com/Special%20Mission/U-...Dragonlady2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

He better be happy with our joy, as much kits as he did me in for......

You know I have a addiction issue.......I'm a sick man!

-Jim

Looks Great! Thanks for coming up last weekend. Next time we need to find a nice little pub and have a few drinks and talk about what the normal poeple are doin.....

-Jim

Well, I've mostly recovered from my painting disaster as described HERE . I say mostly because I did a major repair and repaint and glosscoat and keep finding little areas that need to fixed that I missed (it's hard to see stuff on glossy black sometimes). After a two patch jobs, I've decided to just cut my losses and move on. It was never going to be a contest contender in the first place and I'm just wasting too much time on the kit.

U2_10.jpg

U2_8.jpg

U2_11.jpg

Now, the next fun part is coming up, the gear. Unfortunately now I have to deal with the fact that most of the axle holes in the wheels are quite a bit bigger than the actual axles, especially for the outriggers and rear gear. :woot.gif:

P.S., I know it's missing the turbine warning stripe, but I mispositioned the large underfuselage intake and it interferes with where the stripe should go, so I'm just leaving it off.

Edited by Dave Williams
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...